• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

"Just Having Fun" MS68 PCGS Slab!

448 posts in this topic

My eyes popped when I spotted this outrageous coin. When I saw the slab,

my jaws dropped in disbelief. Could this by the only slab in the world to have

a non sequitur written on it?

That adds a grand to the value of the dime!

http://www.ebay.com/itm/1964-D-ROOSEVELT-DIME-PCGS-MS68FB-POP-1-0-Pedigreed-to-World-Class-Set-/222100429072?hash=item33b6379910:g:HEMAAOSwHPlWf3Hj

How does a Roosevelt Dime with two huge hits/scrapes across the torch on the reverse grade MS68 FB? Is that active PVC on the reverse towards the top of the torch?

...And to think people complain about the way I price my toners... :sorry:

(just kidding about the last part).

Now, I am convinced that I am missing something. What am I missing? Am I really this oblivious to the series? The hits on the reverse would preclude anything above a 65 for me.

Offered here is THE nicest 1964-D Roosevelt Dime ever graded at PCGS in their near 30 year existence as the TOP grading service!! A pop 1/0 coin...!

The state of preservation of this dime (especially the obverse) is utterly amazing. Bear in mind, this coin was graded PCGS-MS68FB a long time ago and any suggestion of "recent gradeflation" simply does not apply to this coin that has been in this holder for a long, long time!! ...

I am on PCGS' prestigious "Board of Experts" having been hand picked as PCGS' top (outside) modern coin expert at the time.

I wonder why he doesn't ship to minnesota

Because of the ridiculous law that was recently passed in the Land of 10,000 Lakes.

Imagine what would happen if all the states enacted the same law....sales of gold

and silver coins would come to a practical standstill benefiting no one. Absurd!!!

http://www.usrarecoininvestments.com/coin_articles/dealers_to_reject_minnesota_clients.htm

Now, I am convinced that I am missing something. What am I missing? Am I really this oblivious to the series? The hits on the reverse would preclude a anything above a 65 for me.

Offered here is THE nicest 1964-D Roosevelt Dime ever graded at PCGS in their near 30 year existence as the TOP grading service!! A pop 1/0 coin...!

The state of preservation of this dime (especially the obverse) is utterly amazing. Bear in mind, this coin was graded PCGS-MS68FB a long time ago and any suggestion of "recent gradeflation" simply does not apply to this coin that has been in this holder for a long, long time!! ...

I am on PCGS' prestigious "Board of Experts" having been hand picked as PCGS' top (outside) modern coin expert at the time.

After looking at some MS68 on HA, this coin appears to have similar strike details. The

hits are probably offset by the toning from the graders stand point. I've seen coins that

appeared two grades lower strike wise than what the holder listed and was told by

fellow collectors the grade was assigned primary for the eye appea.l RWB recently

called grading a "Pseudo Science". I like to think there is happy median in which

collectors can agree on the quality of the coin!

Now, I am convinced that I am missing something. What am I missing? Am I really this oblivious to the series? The hits on the reverse would preclude a anything above a 65 for me.

After looking at some MS68 on HA, this coin appears to have similar strike details. The

hits are probably offset by the toning from the graders stand point. I've seen coins that

appeared two grades lower strike wise than what the holder listed and was told by

fellow collectors the grade was assigned primary for the eye appea.l RWB recently

called grading a "Pseudo Science". I like to think there is happy median in which

Are you still under the impression that strike has anything to do with wear?

Since the seller is a top expert (I am on PCGS' prestigious "Board of Experts" having been hand picked as PCGS' top (outside) modern coin expert at the time. If you love Mint State Roosevelt Dimes (as I do), you are talking to the right guy!) it must be a one of a kind coin.

My eyes popped when I spotted this outrageous coin. When I saw the slab,

my jaws dropped in disbelief. Could this by the only slab in the world to have

a non sequitur written on it?

That adds a grand to the value of the dime!

http://www.ebay.com/itm/1964-D-ROOSEVELT-DIME-PCGS-MS68FB-POP-1-0-Pedigreed-to-World-Class-Set-/222100429072?hash=item33b6379910:g:HEMAAOSwHPlWf3Hj

In answer to your question about the slab - no, it's not the only such slab. Far from it, in fact. The collector in whose set the coin resides (or resided) assembled a number of wonderful registry sets under the name "Just Having Fun".

Not to rain on anyone's parade but the coin is a 1964 D, not exactly a rare coin with over a billion minted. Sure it might be a top pop, but maybe the fact that sane people don't have $1 coins encapsulated has something to do with that being so.

This is just further evidence to me that Registry Set collectors a) have way too much disposable income, b) create a market for widgets that really aren't wort squat any other way.

That said, there's probably 10 people fighting over this simple dime.

How does a Roosevelt Dime with two huge hits/scrapes across the torch on the reverse grade MS68 FB? Is that active PVC on the reverse towards the top of the torch?

Kenny, these were my exact same thoughts.

This is a blatant example of a little color massively inflating the grade of an otherwise truly pedestrian coin. The gashes on the fasces on the reverse would bring this coin down to an MS66 IMO. And, the color isn't even that great. I have NO idea how this got into an MS68FB holder. Is this really the best surviving example of the 1.3 billion minted? I'm also not convinced that "green stuff" on the upper reverse is toning -- looks like active PVC to me.

composite_ms68fb_white_zpsykzksnq4.jpg

gashes_rev_zpsxhrkycdv.jpg

green_spots_rev_zpsxbmsrk6p.jpg

Looks like PVC on the reverse to me. I like the coin as a 7, not sure about the 8.

The PCGS price guide is as follows:

66FB: $65

67FB: $375

68FB: $10,000!!

:o

This is a blatant example of a little color massively inflating the grade of an otherwise truly pedestrian coin.

I am not sure about this. Usually with a color bump, the toning must be extremely attractive. I find this toning to be neutral at best, and certainly not worth a bump in my humble opinion. I am wondering if this isn't just a case of plain vanilla overgrading/grade inflation as opposed to bump for color. While I disagree with the latter, I at least understand the theory. With this particular coin, I am lost.

Classic example of grade the submitter, not the coin.

Really? So, you know WHO submitted the coin?

Are you assuming Wondercoin originally submitted it? If you are, I would wager some significant funds that you are wrong.

Edited by Bochiman

Are you assuming Wondercoin originally submitted it? If you are, I would wager some significant funds that you are wrong.

No one implied that. Given the pedigree, I would assume wondercoin purchased it out of the Just Having Fun collection? Is Just Having Fun the same person as wondercoin?? Don't get your britches all in a bunch Bochi.

hm

I'm no detective but the pedigree on the holder seems like a big clue.

When dealers get stuck they try to stick others to become unstuck themselves.

Are you still under the impression that strike has anything to do with wear? [/quote

I'm not under the impression strike determines the grade these days, in the beginning yes! Overall eye appeal is paramount to a "Proper" grade imho.

This Morgan is a good example of how toning and eye appeal override strike

which looks AU53 to me.

http://coins.ha.com/itm/morgan-dollars/a/131619-23851.s?ic3=ViewItem-Auction-Open-BrowseThisAuction-120115#

brg5658:

Wondercoin is not the same person as the "Just having Fun" collector. Wondercoin has acted as an agent for Just Having Fun, helping him sell (and I think also buy) some of the coins from his world- class collections.

Mark

Edited by mark

No one implied that. Given the pedigree, I would assume wondercoin purchased it out of the Just Having Fun collection? Is Just Having Fun the same person as wondercoin?? Don't get your britches all in a bunch Bochi.

hm

Ignorance here abounds.

JHF was well known for many of the series/coins he collected that were the top of the top. Many of the sources of those coins, particularly Roosies, were known as well.

It has also been known that Wondercoins has been his agent at selling them.

And, yes, it was basically implied that Wondercoins was the submitter.

So, in short, because I have your alias on the PCGS boards ignored, but not here yet, the answer to your question if Wondercoins and JustHavingFun are the same person, is NO. Wondercoins has always been an upfront person and not hiding behind any other persona.

That shouldn't have even been a real question to ask, but since it was, I will answer it.

Rather than think that someone is trying to pull something, hide something, or get something over on another, I prefer to give the benefit of the doubt when I see things being sold; story or no.

In this case, enough people that were around, and paying attention, on the PCGS boards some years back, would know the JHF story and coins.

I'm no detective but the pedigree on the holder seems like a big clue.

Come out and be straight and say it then....you think/thought that Wondercoins did the submission and may be JHF himself?

As already answered, no, that is incorrect.

Within about 3 guesses, I could probably guess who a previous owner, and maybe the submitter was, but that isn't my place in this. I'm pretty confidant that it wasn't JHF himself, nor Wondercoins, though.

hm

Ignorance here abounds.

JHF was well known for many of the series/coins he collected that were the top of the top. Many of the sources of those coins, particularly Roosies, were known as well.

It has also been known that Wondercoins has been his agent at selling them.

And, yes, it was basically implied that Wondercoins was the submitter.

So, in short, because I have your alias on the PCGS boards ignored, but not here yet, the answer to your question if Wondercoins and JustHavingFun are the same person, is NO. Wondercoins has always been an upfront person and not hiding behind any other persona.

That shouldn't have even been a real question to ask, but since it was, I will answer it.

Rather than think that someone is trying to pull something, hide something, or get something over on another, I prefer to give the benefit of the doubt when I see things being sold; story or no.

In this case, enough people that were around, and paying attention, on the PCGS boards some years back, would know the JHF story and coins.

(worship) All bow down to the great and all-knowing Bochiman.

1) I never implied nor stated that wondercoin was shady or doing anything wrong. I'm well aware of who he is, and his position in dealing and marketing ultra high grade ultra moderns. Much of that I find to be smoke and mirrors, but I have always found wondercoin as a dealer to be upstanding and honest on the PCGS boards. You, on the other hand, are like a toddler.

2) Please do block/ignore me here. I have had you on ignore for years, but I still like to "unmask" your complaining posts on occasion for S&G. You never let me down. Though, it is pretty humorous how you only show up here when you have to defend the honor of someone from ATS.

:facepalm:

brg5658:

Wondercoin is not the same person as the "Just having Fun" collector. Wondercoin has acted as an agent for Just Having Fun, helping him sell (and I think also buy) some of the coins from his world- class collections.

Mark

Thank you Mark. I appreciate your reply. I was 99% sure they were not the same person, but good to know for sure.