• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

dcarr suggestion

93 posts in this topic

dcarr:

You probably recall that I definitely do not like your "coins" with non-minted dates/mintmarks of U.S. coins. Nonetheless, I have a suggestion you might consider: The mint, of course, is striking 2016 gold versions of the 1916 dime, quarter, and half dollar. Have you considered striking silver versions of these coins, that is, 2016 dated versions of the 1916 coins? In addition to selling your silver versions by themselves, you could buy some of the gold U.S-mint versions of the coins and then sell them in a two-coin holder along with your equivalent silver version. In other words, you could sell the U.S. mint gold dime and your silver dime in the same holder, with the U.S. mint COA and your COA, hopefully explaining what you have done.

Mark

AHFreak:

Google "midnight mint coins". I dislike what he calls "fantasy coins" because I think there will be swindles in the future using them. But others disagree and collect them. If he were to strike a Mercury dime with a 2016 date, well, that bothers me a lot less than what he has already done.

AHFreak:

Google "midnight mint coins". I dislike what he calls "fantasy coins" because I think there will be swindles in the future using them. But others disagree and collect them. If he were to strike a Mercury dime with a 2016 date, well, that bothers me a lot less than what he has already done.

After you google that, do a search on this site for carr (or daniel carr, or dcarr). The arguments for/against him have been posted here many times, including an excellent legal rebuttal of his illicit activities in a recent thread.

My favorite DCarr stuff is the hologram 2 ounce silver rounds. Looks like money from the future. And his art bars are the best ever. I wish I never sold the 5oz bars I had. His 3 ounce bars are also awesome, got a bunch of those.

But I do agree there may be a future situation when we are all dead and no one around to pay dcarrs webhosting to explain what some of his stuff is. I love a lot of his restrikes but its a slippery slope.

Slippery slopes are where all the fun is. Remind me never to attend a Numismatic Ball. What a bore that would be. Almost as bad as a Science Fair.

mark

Edited for spelling

Who is D Carr and what does he do?

He is a counterfeiter and sometimes medalist who produces forgeries and sometimes bullion art rounds.

Geez, lighten up Alice.

I can't think of a singe person who has sparked more interest in the coinland then Daniel Carr over the past several years. This is good for an otherwise static hobby.

You guys take yourselves way too seriously. Scary.

Mark

Who is D Carr and what does he do?

He is a counterfeiter and sometimes medalist who produces forgeries and sometimes bullion art rounds.

False.

I have never been charged with any crime by any legal authority.

I have never been inside a courtroom.

Have you ?

dcarr:

You probably recall that I definitely do not like your "coins" with non-minted dates/mintmarks of U.S. coins. Nonetheless, I have a suggestion you might consider: The mint, of course, is striking 2016 gold versions of the 1916 dime, quarter, and half dollar. Have you considered striking silver versions of these coins, that is, 2016 dated versions of the 1916 coins? In addition to selling your silver versions by themselves, you could buy some of the gold U.S-mint versions of the coins and then sell them in a two-coin holder along with your equivalent silver version. In other words, you could sell the U.S. mint gold dime and your silver dime in the same holder, with the U.S. mint COA and your COA, hopefully explaining what you have done.

Mark

I have some other related products to do first.

But what you suggest is possible.

I've also wondered (as have some other people) what would modern copper-nickel clad coins (struck for circulation) look like with these three classic designs on them. I might also try that, in some form. Not sure yet.

AHFreak:

Ya mean like the swindles which occur on a daily basis on HSN or many of the other insane Snake Oil Coin Shows on TV?

Or maybe the belief that a slab label actually increases the value of a coin?

dcarr:

I did not mean for this thread to go where it has gone--that can be accomplished in other threads. So, let me return to my suggestion of bundling a US gold dime/dc silver dime, US gold quarter/dc silver quarter, and US gold half/dc silver half: While I believe there would be a market for these at any point in time, I also think the market would be larger this year while collectors are still intensely interested in the US gold versions. You could also market your "coins" as what the mint should have done, because I think it would have been better for the mint to strike silver versions of the coins rather than gold versions.

Mark

PS: Plus minting 2016 silver versions of the US coins keeps you busy and helps prevent you from striking your "fantasy coins" that I dislike! :)

dcarr:

I did not mean for this thread to go where it has gone--that can be accomplished in other threads. So, let me return to my suggestion of bundling a US gold dime/dc silver dime, US gold quarter/dc silver quarter, and US gold half/dc silver half: While I believe there would be a market for these at any point in time, I also think the market would be larger this year while collectors are still intensely interested in the US gold versions. You could also market your "coins" as what the mint should have done, because I think it would have been better for the mint to strike silver versions of the coins rather than gold versions.

Mark

PS: Plus minting 2016 silver versions of the US coins keeps you busy and helps prevent you from striking your "fantasy coins" that I dislike! :)

Although I acknowledged that the 1964 Peace dollars could present a problem in say, 100 years, your suggestion is really no different other than its a product you would like. A silver version of a 2016 mercury dime side by side the mints gold version has every bit the potential for confusion to a novice collector that a 1964 Peace dollar does.

mumu:

Admittedly, 100 years from now a 2016 silver mercury dime does have potential for confusion even though the last mercury dime was minted 71 years previously. But I think a 1964 Peace dollar has more potential for confusion given that Peace dollars actually were struck with the 1964 date. But both of these have much less potential for confusion than, say, a 1976 quarter with the eagle reverse rather than the drummer boy reverse...

If you are suggesting that 100 years from now, someone buying a US-mint gold mercury dime and a dc-silver mercury dime might be confused, yeah I can see that. I guess a fraudster might claim that the dc-silver dime was a US-mint error... I hadn't thought of that possibility. Thanks. Now I feel guilty ...

Mark

mumu:

Admittedly, 100 years from now a 2016 silver mercury dime does have potential for confusion even though the last mercury dime was minted 71 years previously. But I think a 1964 Peace dollar has more potential for confusion given that Peace dollars actually were struck with the 1964 date. But both of these have much less potential for confusion than, say, a 1976 quarter with the eagle reverse rather than the drummer boy reverse...

If you are suggesting that 100 years from now, someone buying a US-mint gold mercury dime and a dc-silver mercury dime might be confused, yeah I can see that. I guess a fraudster might claim that the dc-silver dime was a US-mint error... I hadn't thought of that possibility. Thanks. Now I feel guilty ...

Mark

He hasn't struck any yet, so you don't have to feel guilty yet.

Making a counterfeit coin (or paper currency) is a fraudulent act from the instant the false dies or plates are made. Nothing else has to occur. The US Code is very clear.

Mr. Carr's imitations struck on large 1-oz slugs might be technically counterfeits, but it is doubtful they have much capacity of fool the public...especially if they are "sea green."

However, something like this -- does....

1975%20half%20CuNi%20rev%20sm_zpsyvjnqzkx.jpg

IMO, your children are going to be very sorry you did not put some of Carr's "work" in your collections. Look at the prices of CSA Cent "restrikes" we could buy for $2.50 each back when...lol.

Ever hear of the currency artist "Boggs?"

What about Machin's Mills coinage? My first one cost less than $5 off a bid board in the 1970's.

As collectors, we get to collect what we like as long as it is not illegal. Whoops...I remember all the guys collecting "world bullion" when they could not own gold!

I too have a recommendation for Dcarr. Currently your out of stock items range from saying, discontinued, sold out, and currently unavailable. Pick 1 of the 3!

I too have a recommendation for Dcarr. Currently your out of stock items range from saying, discontinued, sold out, and currently unavailable. Pick 1 of the 3!

All three basically mean the same thing - that the item is not available for purchase.

"Discontinued" means that I stopped making that particular item prematurely, but started offering a new item that was very similar (such as a new die pair with subtle changes).

"Sold Out" means all available inventory is sold and no more will be made.

"Currently Unavailable" means that the item is not currently available, but might become available again, depending on additional production.

"Ordering Period Expired" means that the item was advertised as being available for a specific time duration (until a specific date), and that time period has passed.

Making a counterfeit coin (or paper currency) is a fraudulent act from the instant the false dies or plates are made. Nothing else has to occur. The US Code is very clear.

This is totally false, and ignorant of the legal definition of "fraudulent".

A "fraudulent act", by legal definition, MUST involve fraudulent intent. If there is no fraudulent intent, then at worst, it would be a "negligent act".

From the Legal Dictionary:

FRAUDULENT :

"The description of a willful act commenced with the SPECIFIC INTENT to deceive or cheat, in order to cause some financial detriment to another and to engender personal financial gain."

Even the US Mint itself, on their own web site, points that out by highlighting the key word here: (Text as of 2/19/02) 18 U.S.C. §331

This item below was first stamped by dies, and then the "COPY" stamp was applied later to each piece. There was no violation in the law for making the dies to strike these because there was no fraudulent intent.

image007.jpg

image010.jpg

The item above was advertised for sale nationally as a novelty in several major newspapers.

Mr. Carr's imitations struck on large 1-oz slugs might be technically counterfeits, but it is doubtful they have much capacity of fool the public...especially if they are "sea green."

However, something like this -- does....

1975%20half%20CuNi%20rev%20sm_zpsyvjnqzkx.jpg

Here is the other side of that piece, for clarification:

image001.jpg

It is struck over a genuine US Mint 1964 silver Kennedy half dollar. My piece is easily identifiable as a Carr fantasy, due to the date. And it is very common for someone to look at the date first to determine potential value. The item above was made in 2013 as an "Art" piece to commemorate the 50th anniversary of the tragic assassination of Kennedy.

All three basically mean the same thing - that the item is not available for purchase.

"Discontinued" means that I stopped making that particular item prematurely, but started offering a new item that was very similar (such as a new die pair with subtle changes).

"Currently Unavailable" means that the item is not currently available, but might become available again, depending on additional production.

"Ordering Period Expired" means that the item was advertised as being available for a specific time duration (until a specific date), and that time period has passed.

Would it not be easier and customer friendly to not list times that are not available for purchase? It is a bit confusing to have items listed as out of stock if the items are not being made, especially when you state the 3 descriptions (you listed 4) mean the same thing, that the item is not available for purchase. Is it to capture mailing list information or future customer information? If Ford does not have a 1957 model available for purchase, it certainly is not going to list the auto as out of stock or discontinued or sold out or currently unavailable or ordering period expired. It seems very misleading. When I see such wording on an internet store, I pass.

Would it not be easier and customer friendly to not list times that are not available for purchase? It is a bit confusing to have items listed as out of stock if the items are not being made, especially when you state the 3 descriptions (you listed 4) mean the same thing, that the item is not available for purchase. Is it to capture mailing list information or future customer information? If Ford does not have a 1957 model available for purchase, it certainly is not going to list the auto as out of stock or discontinued or sold out or currently unavailable or ordering period expired. It seems very misleading. When I see such wording on an internet store, I pass.

I don't do anything with mailing lists and I certainly DO NOT sell, loan, or give out, any of my customers' information. My customers do have the option of signing up for a "Newsletter". I may, at some point, occasionally send out newsletters to people that have specifically signed up for it. But I have not utilized that yet.

The way the site is structured, items that are permanently sold out are still shown for historical purposes, but such items are always shown in the product lists AFTER currently-available products are listed.

OK point made, an archive page would be better. However lets not distract from the new goal of this thread, which is to get dcarr to make hologram bars.