• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Curious about the value of a sample slab

14 posts in this topic

A young member of my local club brought in a sample slab last night, and I was wondering if it was of value. It is an NGC slab, which contains a 1957 Roosevelt dime that is graded MS-64. The label says "Sample Slab," and vintage is the one with the long, thinner label across the top of the back instead of the more modern wide label. The coin is partially toned and appears to be in the MS-64 grade.

If any of the sample slab collectors could give me any information about this piece, I would greatly appreciate it.

I would need a photo or a better description - there are a couple dozen NGC in David Schwager's book.

What is the invoice # and Does it actually say "SAMPLE SLAB" or just "SAMPLE"? Is it a no-line fatty or the more recent, more common slab with the line?

Let's make some assumptions...

NGC-010-3-3 is the no-line fatty version, it's known with a 1957 dime. The label reads:

[*]1957 10c

[*]SAMPLE

[*]MS 64

[*]199999-nnn

Value per the book is $18

NGC-005-3-4 is rarer ($40), with invoice 199998-nnn and no space between MS and 64.

The common lined slabs start with NGC-010-4-x, picking, but there are none listed as known with 1957 dimes and an actual grade. Also none listed with actual MS 64 grades.

Unknown types are not especially valuable, since it's only recently that a few OCD types have really been looking for the differences.

Does it actually say "SAMPLE SLAB" or just "SAMPLE"?

It is not a "fatty slab," and it says "SAMPLE SLAB" on the label. As for a picture that will have to wait a month. I didn't have a camera on me last night.

Cool... then it probably is new. You could probably get one of us crazy sample slab collectors to pay $20 or $25 for it.

I'm continuing to collect new samples for David, however, the cutoff for the 2nd edition of the book has passed, so I'm working on the 3rd edition (2017), while poor David is trying to get the 2nd edition (2016) finished and off to the press for release in September.

The 1st (2015) edition is sold out of the printed book, the .pdf is available from David for $15 - either eBay or SampleSlabBook.com

While the 1st edition had around 500 items (a major jump from Kiefer's 250 or so at SampleSlabs.com), 2nd will be around 700 - and more are being created and discovered all the time. I already have 14 post 2nd edition items, although 12 of those are the PCGS Long Beach Treasure Hunt slabs.

Recommend to your YN both Coin Community Forum and Coin Talk

At small and medium coin show, I hear an increasing number of comments and questions about sample slabs. I am aware of several US and Canadian collectors who are actively looking for these as their main hobby interest.

Yes,

Member conder101 has created a web page where sample slabs are discussed based upon generation. I believe he's done this both here and across the street. Just Google sample coin slabs (or the like) and the info should be available.

Conder's work - while valuable and goes beyond just sample slabs - is somewhat outdated.

Last year, David Schwager published an article in The Numismatist and a book about sample slabs. The printed book is sold out, but uou can buy the pdf version on eBay or through David's site, SampleSlabBook.com.

David's prices are based on multiple years of tracking prices on eBay and other venues.

It seems that the article and book have stimulsted interest, as some prices have recently increased in eBay sales. Others have not. And one specific sample that was thought to be rare has crashed from $70 to $25 because 55+ examples have hit the market recently. So I don't think there are a lot of us who collect samples, more than many collectors interested in having a few as part of their collections.

Member conder101 has created a web page where sample slabs are discussed based upon generation.

Wrong person. While I got Cameron Kiefer interested in Sample slabs I did NOT create the website. The website while interesting and good as far as it went has flaws. The best source of information on Sample slabs today is the work by David Schwager.

I think I got the last bit he's going to be able to slide into this edition of the book - I sent him my analysis of the Long Beach Treasure Hunt slabs the same day he was finishing up the PCGS chapter...

Of course, something new popped up on eBay the next night ... sigh ...