• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

2014-S Kennedy Enhanced Finish (2) types

7 posts in this topic

I finally got around to typing a summary of these two 2014-S Kennedy halves and sending them out to Mike Byers at Mint Error News. Hopefully; they are discovery and may perhaps add interest to fellow numismatics in their search of Kennedy's.

On the first example, the 2014-S enhanced finish has proof features. The upper portion of shield and stripes have a proof finish, along with the 50 stars around the seal that have proof finish. The lettering "E Pluribus Unum," has a proof finish, and the 13 stars above and below the "E Pluribus Unum," have a proof finish.

The second example has a matte finish on upper portion of shield and stripes. Matte finish on 50 stars around seal; along with the 13 stars above and below, "E Pluribus Unum." Also, the lettering "E Pluribus Unum" is of matte finish.

Included is a side by side of reverse and a of the obverse. Would be cool if this is discovery; but am realistic so waiting to duck for eggs and tomatoes!

Rich

161839.jpg.dc41945304f4703fa432bd2225458173.jpg

161840.jpg.e8d121154af04940a3e65f84fa4a2d50.jpg

161841.jpg.0f87089451b7b205a6493cc260088e42.jpg

161842.jpg.d6e6754bdee8d3f1c14d04aa6129ba15.jpg

Well your assessment may be true but you're still acknowledging a difference I think.

Many individuals, as you know, collect cameo proof and non-cameo proofs. However; this is an enhanced finish piece and we're talking about a run of what... 250,000 coins?

If this be the case then why not have a distinction between the two?

Supply side economics dictates that fewer pieces with a desired effect; such as cameos generate more interest than non cameo pieces. Especially if in limited quantity. Am I wrong?

DMPL Morgans as example..as an comparison.

I'm just looking for distinction between the two- I'm sure there are collectors that would want a variety for this year.

Thanks,

Rich

A "proof finish" is not necessarily shiny.

There are hundreds of this type a minor frosting error. They are caused by slight misalignment of the equipment that does the laser snake skin and small errors in the frost application.

Now if you had one with frosting and sprinkles, that would be nice.

Rich, sounds like you just don't want to hear it. .. but it's not a variety, nor will it ever be a variety.

They already acknowledge a distinction between the two... it's called Prooflike, and deep mirror prooflike. Go search for this coin on Ebay. .. u will find both. Already noted on the holder.

AHFreak, I checked listings on Ebay and you are 100% correct...you can see the mirror finish on shield and other features I mentioned. I thought I was on to something there...uggh....

Well your assessment may be true but you're still acknowledging a difference I think.

Many individuals, as you know, collect cameo proof and non-cameo proofs. However; this is an enhanced finish piece and we're talking about a run of what... 250,000 coins?

If this be the case then why not have a distinction between the two?

Supply side economics dictates that fewer pieces with a desired effect; such as cameos generate more interest than non cameo pieces. Especially if in limited quantity. Am I wrong?

DMPL Morgans as example..as an comparison.

I'm just looking for distinction between the two- I'm sure there are collectors that would want a variety for this year.

Thanks,

Rich

I'm thinking that "supply side economics" pales in comparison to does anybody really want these coins produced from perhaps an older die set.

You can have 1 of something that was made in the hundreds of thousands and think it's a fairly rare piece. But.........if there are no buyers for such a piece, then the rarity falls to the wayside.

Of course, attempts can be made to "create" a market and as such attract buyers with such terms as discovery and rare and specific number to number ration's but generally speaking, it's a no win market.

BTW, I like these coins but have absolutely no desire for a variety for this specific year since, well, no variety actually exists except for what appears to be normal die wear.