• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Petition For Change

15 posts in this topic

Time to redesign our coinage

Hello everyone. I wanted to see if I could get your support for a change to our coinage. As President Roosevelt did in 1907, I think it is time to redesign our circulating coinage. The $10 bill is going to feature a woman in 2020, but it will share circulation with the Hamilton $10 bill.

In an effort to show progressiveness in both diversity and women's equality in America, I propose that the coins from the cent to the half dollar be redesigned back to the classic symbol of Lady Liberty, but with Liberty representative of the major ethnicities; Asian, Caucasian, African American, etc. (The dollar coin features Sacagawea, so that one can continue)

I created a petition and if it receives 100,000 signatures by May 15, it has to be addressed by the White House. I ask that you consider signing the petition by using the link below and sharing the link on your social media pages so that we can get the 100,000 signatures needed. Thank you.

http://wh.gov/iAd3s

Hey Marcus,

I think your idea and petition are wonderful and I signed it just now. We need to shake up the designs!! Hopefully your petition reaches the number of signatures required.

~Tom

I couldn't give a rat's about diversity for its own sake and feel that its promotion is bad for the country. That being said, I agree that it is time for some coin design changes. As long as the designs and subjects have general acceptance, I am fine with changes. However, any requirements based on gender, race, etc. are BS. Great Americans should be recognized for their achievements, not their body parts or ethnicity.

ILJC,

While you are entitled to your opinions, I take issue with them on a couple of points. The first is your mention of "Great Americans". I think the point of Marcus' petition is to get "Great Americans" off of the coins and return to depictions of Liberty. I completely agree with Marcus here. The "Great Americans" on the coins are the problem. They've been on there for decades and over a century in one case and its high time for them all to be gone!!

As for your comments on diversity, man do I disagree with you. Why shouldn't all of the faces that make up the United States be represented on the nation's coinage? One has to ask oneself the question "What is an American?" If you do ask yourself this and really open your mind, you'll find that there is no one answer. We are a diverse, multi-ethnic, multi-cultural nation and I feel that is something to be proud of and to celebrate. It's one of the main things that I feel makes this country great!

Tom,

I am open minded about a change in our coinage but dislike this diversity theme as well. As the prior poster stated, there are some of us who think it is political. Someone can be open minded about differences yet at the same time still fed up with the political correctness that goes with it which is exactly my opinion of this proposal.

My presumption is that this proposal is well meaning and equally likely, that it is proposed partly from the fact that in our modern politically correct society, it has the best chance of being implemented. That this is probably necessary I don't remotely see as a positive but an indication of the Balkanization of this country.

Personally, I don't want to sign the petition. Diversity for the sake of diversity shouldn't be a goal. It's hard to explain exactly what I mean by that... I feel like if you get to a diverse state by forcing it to be that way you haven't really achieved a genuine, diverse, state. You've just put up a bunch of window-dressing to cover the real situation. Diversity needs to be achieved organically, not by decree. I also don't think we'll ever get back to true artistry in the coinage, even if we return to images of liberty. I think we'll just get more modern, kind-of-ugly, coin designs, like what the mint has been putting out for most of the last 17 years.

For me, this isn't a diversity for diversity sake thought. It's a, I'm tired of the same old design, lets get something new; if we're going to go back to Lady Liberty, why have her the same?

I know it's definitely not for everyone and I appreciate and respect that.

Marcus

I also don't think we'll ever get back to true artistry in the coinage, even if we return to images of liberty. I think we'll just get more modern, kind-of-ugly, coin designs, like what the mint has been putting out for most of the last 17 years.

I agree with this opinion, though not sure of the 17 year time period. With the exception of the ASE, AGE, Buffalo/Indian Head dollar and maybe Platinum bullion, I haven't seen any designs that I really liked on "recent" US coinage, whether commemoratives or circulating. I haven't seen all of them in hand but the artistry looks computer generated and I consider it inferior.

The worst I have seen is the Washington presidential dollar I received for renewing my Collector's Society membership. I don't recall seeing any of the other presidential dollars (never having received them in change) but this design was absolutely hideous. It reminded me of a Chucky-E-Cheese token.

Time to redesign our coinage

Hello everyone. I wanted to see if I could get your support for a change to our coinage. As President Roosevelt did in 1907, I think it is time to redesign our circulating coinage. The $10 bill is going to feature a woman in 2020, but it will share circulation with the Hamilton $10 bill.

In an effort to show progressiveness in both diversity and women's equality in America, I propose that the coins from the cent to the half dollar be redesigned back to the classic symbol of Lady Liberty, but with Liberty representative of the major ethnicities; Asian, Caucasian, African American, etc. (The dollar coin features Sacagawea, so that one can continue)

I created a petition and if it receives 100,000 signatures by May 15, it has to be addressed by the White House. I ask that you consider signing the petition by using the link below and sharing the link on your social media pages so that we can get the 100,000 signatures needed. Thank you.

http://wh.gov/iAd3s

As we enter the digital money age, and fewer coins are needed, I would like to see a return to coin designs that actually have a relief, instead of these virtually flat coins we have been seeing. Every older design has been streamlined for faster manufacture, at the expense of the design perspective. New designs lack three-dimensionality, from the start, due to excessively low relief.

The period of greatest artistry coincided with the use of America's greatest sculptural artists for coin designs. At present, that is not done - and the Mint has no Art Director to help bring things back to where they could be.

Just like people, sometimes organizations have to re-learn how to be successful in certain things. Too many "bean counters," accountants, short-minded MBAs in decision making positions will suck the creative life out of any organization.

Only 2 coins have not changed in the past 10 years. The Roosevelt dime and the Kennedy half are still up for grabs. The Sacs will die out with the President dollars. Then if they still want coined dollars there will be a new addition. The quarters change yearly now and there is so many in each set that the mint is making a killing on change.

Think about it.

Did you see that new 100 year anniversary mint set -- GOLD!!! 2016 Liberty dime, Standing liberty quarter, and Walker half ---- There is your new change you were petitioning for. Sorry --- the mint only offers it to collectors that want the change and it is in GOLD!!

I usually don't post, but I agree that I would definitely like to see change. I am a collector, not a dealer, so I buy what I like. I have some antique US, but not much. I collect mainly foreign. Maybe they can consider like other countries putting the current president on the one side and open up the art market with competitions for the other. Another competition can be for the design of the President when that changes. I personally would not mind seeing something totally new every year on at least one coin on both obverse and reverse. Maybe each year a new silver dollar can be redesigned. I agree, we do need change!