• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Which do you prefer? 1960 P Washingtons for the toner Dansco.

19 posts in this topic

Nothing spectacular, but fun none the less. Which do you prefer? Images by Bob Campbell and I think he did an excellent job.

bc1960_rWA5o3t_zpsubxfzshb.jpgbc1960_rWA5r5t_zpsnn5pghvv.jpg

bc1960_rWA4o1t_zpsbqbojvn8.jpgbc1960_rWA4r5_zpsb8xf600x.jpg

Finger print on the reverse of #1 kills it for me.

Where do you see a fingerprint? I don't see it?

There is classic "stripey" toning on the reverse of #1 at the left. That is not a fingerprint - it is an unusual toning pattern seen only on 1959 and 1960 dimes, quarters, and halves. It is super cool, although this is a very minor example.

All that being said, I like the character and color of #1 over the second. #2 has plain, and somewhat boring, toning (and the reverse appears relatively untoned). I don't like the washed out look at the bottom of the obverse of #2 either. For me, this is a clear and easy choice - #1 all the way.

I like the toning on the first, but the spot in the hair sticks out. Maybe its photo technique, but my eyes went right to it. The second has cleaner cheek too. Based on that, I may go with #2.

Where do you see a fingerprint? I don't see it? on the Eagles

There is classic "stripey" toning on the reverse of #1 at the left. That is not a fingerprint - it is an unusual toning pattern seen only on 1959 and 1960 dimes, quarters, and halves. It is super cool, although this is a very minor example.

All that being said, I like the character and color of #1 over the second. #2 has plain, and somewhat boring, toning (and the reverse appears relatively untoned). I don't like the washed out look at the bottom of the obverse of #2 either. For me, this is a clear and easy choice - #1 all the way.

The stripes in the field off the Eagles right wing may have come from Mint packaging or from certain albums, but in my minds eye, I see a remnant of a finger print, so that kills it for me.

If you were showing me this coin and explained to me what is going on with the reverse, I'd be skeptical of your rationality and just simply pass on the coin with out argument.

Where do you see a fingerprint? I don't see it? on the Eagles

The stripes in the field off the Eagles right wing may have come from Mint packaging or from certain albums, but in my minds eye, I see a remnant of a finger print, so that kills it for me.

If you were showing me this coin and explained to me what is going on with the reverse, I'd be skeptical of your rationality and just simply pass on the coin with out argument.

Here is a more prominent example:

1960RoosObv_013.jpg

The dime and the half are obvious, unless that's Andre the Giant's thumb print on the half. No matter how it got there on the quarter, it still reminds me of a thumb print.

The reverse of # 1 is indeed the classic stripe toning that you get with some 1960 coins. It is not a fingerprint.

Thank you guys for your thoughts! I'm glad you enjoy them.