• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Is this a rare variety?

10 posts in this topic

I was looking at Franklin lover and I spotted something.

Does this coin look like the 1956 die two? Does this increase the value like the Bugs?

OmO8LPz.png

gJLciHZ.png

pSVqdpm.png

The variety description:

http://www.franklinlover.yolasite.com/bugs-bunny.php

Here's a 56 Bugs to compare:

http://www.auctiva.com/hostedimages/showimage.aspx?gid=1533911ℑ=825245528&images=825245473,825245407,825245556,825245528,825245496,825245567&formats=0,0,0,0,0,0&format=0

Here's a 56 die clash to compare:

http://www.ebay.com/itm/1956-50C-PCGS-CAC-MS65FBL-OBV-DIE-CLASH-FS-402-RAINBOW-FRANKLIN-HALF-DOLLAR-/201559728318?hash=item2eede560be:g:G0IAAOSw5dNWpvB4

The "Bugs Bunny" was created by clashed dies, unlike the others. (Several chemicals are available to kill the bugs, too.)

The "Bugs Bunny" die clash is probably the MOST over rated die clash in the history of coins. It's not "really" a variety as much as it is an error from a damaged die.

It can be found in multiple stages across multiple years. There's even a Proof example floating around out there.

I'd bet even money that the popularity with this particular die clash is directly related to it's inclusion in the CPG and the fact that both PCGS and NGC annotates the clash on the label. Nothing more and nothing less.

The "Talon Head" IKE is a similar die clash and can be way more prominent than the Franklin Clash.

As for the OP's coin, I have absolutely no idea what is being referred to since the photo's are way too small.

The "Bugs Bunny" die clash is probably the MOST over rated die clash in the history of coins. It's not "really" a variety as much as it is an error from a damaged die.

It can be found in multiple stages across multiple years. There's even a Proof example floating around out there.

I'd bet even money that the popularity with this particular die clash is directly related to it's inclusion in the CPG and the fact that both PCGS and NGC annotates the clash on the label. Nothing more and nothing less.

The "Talon Head" IKE is a similar die clash and can be way more prominent than the Franklin Clash.

As for the OP's coin, I have absolutely no idea what is being referred to since the photo's are way too small.

The enthusiasm of the collectors of these clashes, lobbying the editors, is how they got into the Cherrypicker's Guide, and then and the PCGS Registry, starting in 2012. The 1955 Bugs has been collected for decades.

I was looking at Franklin lover and I spotted something.

Does this coin look like the 1956 die two? Does this increase the value like the Bugs?

OmO8LPz.png

gJLciHZ.png

pSVqdpm.png

The variety description:

http://www.franklinlover.yolasite.com/bugs-bunny.php

Here's a 56 Bugs to compare:

http://www.auctiva.com/hostedimages/showimage.aspx?gid=1533911ℑ=825245528&images=825245473,825245407,825245556,825245528,825245496,825245567&formats=0,0,0,0,0,0&format=0

Here's a 56 die clash to compare:

http://www.ebay.com/itm/1956-50C-PCGS-CAC-MS65FBL-OBV-DIE-CLASH-FS-402-RAINBOW-FRANKLIN-HALF-DOLLAR-/201559728318?hash=item2eede560be:g:G0IAAOSw5dNWpvB4

The die chips inside the E confirm that you have 1956 CONECA Doubled Die Obverse DDO-002, a very common die variety, as there were supposedly only 4 obverse dies used in 1956. The doubling is dramatic and possibly a Quadrupled Die, but it's too common to garner a premium.

However, the clash that develops in certain die states and can be very valuable in high grades, especially if it is sharp. PCGS has labeled coins from this die as both FS-401 and FS-402. The rainbow speckled example you are showing is in our inventory.

The enthusiasm of the collectors of these clashes, lobbying the editors, is how they got into the Cherrypicker's Guide, and then and the PCGS Registry, starting in 2012. The 1955 Bugs has been collected for decades.

Why yes, it has been collected for decades due to the original hype and the name "Bugs Bunny Franklin. However, it was never "seriously" collected until it appeared in the CPG and then other date/mintmark combinations began showing up.

"IF" it ever gets dropped from the CPG and interest dies down due to nobody actively looking for them, it'll go back to where it was in 2000. Just another die clash.

That "proof" coin might stick around but seriously, these are relatively easy to come by in rolls of Franklins. They get pricey when someone sells them as a die clash woth the FS-401 jammed onto the slab label.

Having said that, I must say that I am and always have been really impressed with the Franklin Lovers Web Page. They done some great work and some fantastic research.

The coin is in a 66FBL holder without attribution

PCGS does not recognize FS-401 or FS-402 automatically. You have to request variety attribution and pay the extra fee. It may never have been examined. I should also note that both clashes are from the same die pair.

There is another 1956 die clash, which was the original 1956 "Bugs Bunny" that is much stronger and does not appear on DDO-002.

Why yes, it has been collected for decades due to the original hype and the name "Bugs Bunny Franklin. However, it was never "seriously" collected until it appeared in the CPG and then other date/mintmark combinations began showing up.

"IF" it ever gets dropped from the CPG and interest dies down due to nobody actively looking for them, it'll go back to where it was in 2000. Just another die clash.

That "proof" coin might stick around but seriously, these are relatively easy to come by in rolls of Franklins. They get pricey when someone sells them as a die clash woth the FS-401 jammed onto the slab label.

Having said that, I must say that I am and always have been really impressed with the Franklin Lovers Web Page. They done some great work and some fantastic research.

The various varieties have been collected all along. The problem has always been having them recognized by PCGS. In fact, the "serious" collectors have been buying these coins for many years behind the scenes, and the addition of them to the Cherrypicker's Guide has brought a lot of more casual collectors in, and they don't know all the nuances of the series. The idea behind franklinlover.com was to educate them and help them understand it. We contributed many of the varieties and photographs, but sadly, we had no say in naming the site :(