• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Good Bye Lucky 13 posted by Villarreal

5 posts in this topic

• Member: Seasoned Veteran

Breaking my Morgan Set

Morgan Dollars have been a favorite of mine for over 20 years. I have collected and upgraded, trading and selling as I went. I was lucky enough to assemble a respectable set, placing to a high as #9 set, to holding #13 now for a few years. Missing the 1893 S, I couldn't bring myself to settle for a mid grade coin. All but 2 of my original set were Unc, the 1892 S and the 1895 O were AU58.

I found myself in the dilemma of the high cost of upgrading/completing this set. I was approached and asked if I would sell some keys, and the offers were quite fair. I sold my 1889 CC MS62PL, 1884 S MS61, and my 1892 S AU58. Even after selling those three keys, I was surprised to find I did not drop from the #13 spot.

I was called again this week, and I met with a buyer in Baltimore pre show. He bought 8 Morgans last night, and I know I will lose my spot. I had held the coins for over 10 years and was satisfied with my returns. Although I love the series, I found I really could not work it.

She's gonna love that vette.

See more journals by Villarreal

Villarreal,

When the stock market crashed and my business (framing const.) went with it, I had a SWEET set of Morgans. With the evaluation of costs to get where I wanted to be in the set. I took a long time deciding that I really needed to collect a different series to afford with the new budget I now have. I sold them all seven years ago. :(

I have done well without collecting Morgan dollars and still proud of my sets I converted to!!

Sometimes hard choices and tough decisions have to be made!!

I LOVE the Morgan Dollar!! BUT when she is too perfect she can Pimp-A-Pimp ;)

Happy Collecting :)

Although I love the series, I found I really could not work it

I don't know how you can say that? You built a magnificent set and were only missing 2 coins.

In any event, I'm glad that you did well on your returns and, although bitter/sweet; I'm glad that you are enjoying your windfall.

Good Luck in your future endeavors. (thumbs u