1927 Peace Dollar

15 posts in this topic

1,043 posts

Ms 64 IMO. But if it were in a 65 holder it wouldn't surprise me.

137 posts

Thanks everyone. The actual grade is MS62 in an NGC. I am contemplating sending it back in or cracking it out and resubmitting. Thought maybe I was missing something as my initial opinion was MS64.

Lonnie

12,647 posts
Thanks everyone. The actual grade is MS62 in an NGC. I am contemplating sending it back in or cracking it out and resubmitting. Thought maybe I was missing something as my initial opinion was MS64.

Lonnie

I don't think the coin would grade 64 - it looks lackluster and rubby - and the difference in value between a 62 and a 63 isn't much greater than the cost of regrading. If it is truly a PQ coin, you should be able to obtain a premium price when you sell it. Save your money.

1,314 posts

Keep in mind, just because I and a few others think it might grade MS-64 (based on the images provided), it does not mean a TPG will agree. Obviously, the first time around, NGC found it lacking.

Submitting a coin for an up-grade is always a gamble.

209 posts
Keep in mind, just because I and a few others think it might grade MS-64 (based on the images provided), it does not mean a TPG will agree. Obviously, the first time around, NGC found it lacking.

Submitting a coin for an up-grade is always a gamble.

Great point.

If you're in Utah, would be happy to take a look at it under a loupe! :)

Still a nice coin!

3,299 posts

Many times the graders try to give everything they look at the benefit of the doubt, you never know when they might call something currently MS AU if they see rub, etc.. Downside risk/upside potential guides many business decisions. I have heard show dealers say that grading services want to see every coin multiple times before they give it their best grade which strains credulity to the breaking point....