• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

1927 Peace Dollar

15 posts in this topic

Thanks everyone. The actual grade is MS62 in an NGC. I am contemplating sending it back in or cracking it out and resubmitting. Thought maybe I was missing something as my initial opinion was MS64.

Lonnie

I don't think the coin would grade 64 - it looks lackluster and rubby - and the difference in value between a 62 and a 63 isn't much greater than the cost of regrading. If it is truly a PQ coin, you should be able to obtain a premium price when you sell it. Save your money.

Keep in mind, just because I and a few others think it might grade MS-64 (based on the images provided), it does not mean a TPG will agree. Obviously, the first time around, NGC found it lacking.

Submitting a coin for an up-grade is always a gamble.

Keep in mind, just because I and a few others think it might grade MS-64 (based on the images provided), it does not mean a TPG will agree. Obviously, the first time around, NGC found it lacking.

Submitting a coin for an up-grade is always a gamble.

Great point.

If you're in Utah, would be happy to take a look at it under a loupe! :)

Still a nice coin!

Many times the graders try to give everything they look at the benefit of the doubt, you never know when they might call something currently MS AU if they see rub, etc.. Downside risk/upside potential guides many business decisions. I have heard show dealers say that grading services want to see every coin multiple times before they give it their best grade which strains credulity to the breaking point....