• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

cleaning zinc coins

5 posts in this topic

I just came into some WWI occupation Belgian coinage. It's zinc, and as often happens, heavily coated with zinc oxide or hydroxide or whatever the atmospheric reaction process does to zinc. They are not worth much, so it's okay if I trash the worst example in an experiment.

What's the best way to get this white junk off these? Or the least bad way?

Hi JKK,

I found this post and I'm afraid I have some bad news for you. After trying many things on German coins with the zinc oxide, I have never found anything that will get that nasty white crust off! And I've tried everything.....e z est, olive oil, metal polish even a horribly abrasive and nasty baking soda paste and I've had no luck. I'm afraid you're probably stuck with the white stuff, I hate to say.

However, if you try something and it works for you, let me know!!

~Tom

Hi JKK,

I found this post and I'm afraid I have some bad news for you. After trying many things on German coins with the zinc oxide, I have never found anything that will get that nasty white crust off! And I've tried everything.....e z est, olive oil, metal polish even a horribly abrasive and nasty baking soda paste and I've had no luck. I'm afraid you're probably stuck with the white stuff, I hate to say.

However, if you try something and it works for you, let me know!!

~Tom

Thanks, Tom. I've seen a bunch of those sorts of coins as well, wartime issues with zinc something, kind of a white rust. In this case, I had enough expendable coins to make it worth experimenting. I tried vinegar, and didn't make much headway. I tried lemon juice, and that seemed to work--might have worked better if I'd left the coins in longer, which next time I probably will. (I figure one can always put them back in, but if one leaves them too long, it may no longer matter, so best to play it somewhat safe.) If you have any such coins and want to try lemon juice, I'd love to have some comparison data.

Hey JKK,

You know what? If I can dig up some more zinc rusted coins cheaply to experiment, I'll try lemon juice as well! Sadly, the only one I have around with white on it currently is a 1944-A German 5 Reichspfennig with a couple small spots of white. That coin is too valuable for me to experiment with, but I'll see what I can find at a good price. If I find some cheapies to experiment with, I'll let you know how it goes!

Good Luck!

~Tom

Sounds good. I had good luck with a fairly long soak, nearly an hour, followed by a vigorous rub with paper towel soaked in more lemon juice. Now you have an excuse to dig through your local dealer's world coin junk bin!