• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

1794 dollar - BBC article

14 posts in this topic

I read on the PCGS forum that this coin is on a world wide tour. Maybe as a result of it, foreigners will come to know it as well as the 1804 dollar and a few other US coins. Today, it's my belief that most foreign collectors (never mind the public) have never heard of hardly any of the US coins which collectors here consider very prominent. This includes those which I hold in the highest regard such as the 1822 half eagle and 1849 proof double eagle.

We have a Constantine ruble in the NNC -- and almost no one looked at it over the years it was on display.

Nicely written. I would expect no less from the BBC.

"... Two moulds were brought together against a round metal planchet..." is an interesting choice of words. Is that what they call dies across the pond?

The more I've learned about this coin the more plausible it seems that this just might be the first US dollar minted. Fabulous history. Smart to show it off.

Not a British term for "die." "Mold" or "mould" often appears in general market articles because it is easily understood whereas "die" would require explanation.

I remember when I bought that coin in 1947. I think I paid about 1,250 for it.

I guess I should have hung onto it a little longer.......

Paul

• Member: Seasoned Veteran

The British use "dyes" to make coins, as I recall the spelling. hm

Just keep your tyres off the verges when driving the motorway toward the high street car park.

This is a link to the BBC article.

1794 Dollar

Some additional information on the 1794 dollar has been discovered. There was a ceremony

at the Mint in honor of the first dollar coinage but the President was not in attendance. The

Secretary of State was, however, and sent the President a specimen by messenger on the

following day. In his cover letter the Secretary spoke well of the design.

One has to wonder if the very first good strike was in fact sent to the President as a mark of

courtesy.

Could have been. Something similar happened with other designs in later years.