• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

1944-S Jefferson Nickel Star Worthy?

15 posts in this topic

You could get the star and lose the MS-67 grade.

You're absolutely correct that there are no guarantees at all with crossovers (unless you specify a minimum grade), but having seen many of the Jefferson Nickels that NGC calls MS67, I would be very surprised if this did not cross at grade.

"(unless you specify a minimum grade)"

Might not be a bad idea to play it safe. It looks to me like PCGS might have given it a little grade boost for the color.

Should be no risk if submitted as designation review right ? Submission costs apply but could be shipped and return shipped together with other tickets.

Should be no risk if submitted as designation review right ? Submission costs apply but could be shipped and return shipped together with other tickets.

The coin was noted as being in a PCGS holder, so a designation review isn't an option for trying to obtain an NGC star.

I wouldn't ever try to cross a modern coin into NGC. Especially one that has gotten a slight color bump.

Why not? NGC has been known to bump grades, due to color, as well.

I wouldn't ever try to cross a modern coin into NGC. Especially one that has gotten a slight color bump.

Why not? NGC has been known to bump grades, due to color, as well.

Although NGC does color bump some, it is usually much more limited (a point or less), whereas PCGS will color bump up to two points (per its own website) and appears to do so more frequently. I think the advent of the star designation made NGC more conservative than PCGS with color bumping. But of course, my sample size/viewing size is more limited than yours, so maybe the population I am looking at or thinking of is not representative of larger trends.