• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

What is your favorite circulating U.S. coin?

33 posts in this topic

No patterns, splashers, dashers, crashers, proofs, goofs or flies.... just plain old coins struck for circulation.

Currently circulating? Sac Dollar (a bit of a stretch), followed by the Jefferson nickel.

Ever circulated? Peace dollar by far, followed by maybe the Walker and early Flowing Hair & Bust designs.

Currently circulating - the quarter - It's the only piece that has any real impact on the modern economy.

Historical - 1792 half disme - It was the first circulating U.S. coin, and George Washington mentioned it was "a small beginning" in coinage in his annual message to Congress.

[i wonder if the Father of the Country was being sarcastic with his "small beginning" comment -- or maybe making a pun on the tiny size of the half disme?]

[i wonder if the Father of the Country was being sarcastic with his "small beginning" comment -- or maybe making a pun on the tiny size of the half disme?]

I take that quote for exactly what it was. It was a tiny start in an attempt to shore up the monetary system with a silver coin that had intrinsic value. Previously the market had been flooded with light weight copper coins, many of which were counterfeits, which had left the economy in chaos.

From what I've read about Washington's attitudes toward the deportment of a gentlemen, I don't think that he would have thought sarcasm was appropriate for a message to Congress.

Current: None but if you held my feet to the fire it would be the Washington Quarter before they messed up the obverse or the Lincoln Memorial Cent before they replaced it with the shield. (do they count as "current"?)

Previous: A tossup between the Standing Liberty Quarter or the Flowing Hair design.

Let's face it; dollar and half dollar coins don't circulate. Pre 1982 Lincolns and Jeffersons before relief was lowered are cool coins but are mostly gone. I like classic Washington quarters also. I just wish we could keep the politics out of our coinage designs.

For early U.S. coins, I like the Draped Bust half dollar. Current coinage, I like the Washington State quarter. Washington, obverse and reverse. Salmon, forest, and Mount Rainier, three things I enjoy.

I would like to see at least one U.S. circulating coin with an obverse "emblematic of liberty" and not a president, as specified in the Coinage Act of 1792.

Older: Flowing Hair and Bust Coinage (including early gold); but close "seconds" would be a four way tie between the Mercury Dime, Walking Liberty Half, Standing Liberty Quarter, and St. Gaudens Double Eagle. (How does one pick only one "favorite" here?)

Current Design: **Crickets** OK, if I had to pick, I would probably choose the Mississippi or New Jersey state quarters because of the reverse designs.

By "favorite," I am assuming you are referring to my favorite designs.

Here's mine....warning...one's a little weird.

Current circulating: The Kennedy Half Dollar. Half dollars are just cool!

Old circulating-The Philippine 50 Centavos and 1 Peso coins. The design of the silver Philippine coins is my all time favorite US issued circulating design. The only US coin I like better is the Panama-Pacific Half Dollar.

I guess I would go with bust half dollars. It's a tough choice though, we had so much cool stuff....

Flying eagles probably a close second.....

Paul