• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

My 300th coin in 1 Registry Set posted by Dan Hughes

10 posts in this topic

• Member: Seasoned Veteran

What else, Canada Commemorative Silver $20, 1985-Date, Proof

Today I added my 300th coin to the World Sets - Canada - Commemorative Silver $20, 1985-Date, Proof. I haven't checked all of the Registry sets for number of slots but I would imagine this is in the top 5. Having retired last December unfortunately I will no longer be able to keep up with the volumes of coins the RCM churns out. If only the wife would get a job and let me spend her earnings on coins. Hmmmmm, don't think that will work. If the RCM keeps up at the pace they have been at the last couple of years there will be over a thousand slots in this Registry 7-8 years from now. Probably a good thing I retired and am scaling back. Pictured is coin #300, Canadian Landscapes Ski Chalet. I would have added coin #301 but there isn't a slot for it yet (Canadian Salmonids Atlantis Salmon)

17293.jpg

See more journals by Dan Hughes

• Administrator

Hello, Dan.

We would add a slot for 2016 ATLANTIC SALMON - COLORIZED - CANADIAN SALMONIDS, but we already added it on Feb .19th. Thanks, and let us know when we may assist next. Have a nice weekend!

300 coins is HUGE! My largest is my Complete Roosevelt Dimes including Varieties with 241. Unfortunately at this point almost all of my remaining open slots are oddball (and often expensive) varieties so 300 is a ways away if ever.

Hi Dan,

Congratulations on your retirement and acquiring the 300th coin for your set, great work! My largest sets are a silver dollar commemorative set at 148 coins and a complete half dollar set at 200, 300 coins seems unreal too me.

I am close to retiring and have been thinking about scaling back my collecting at some point, so I appreciated your post. My wife, I would say is, tolerant of my coin collecting and whenever she starts to give me too much grief about it, I point out her shoe and Italian plate collection which provides me some temporary relief, lol.

Cheers,

Larry

It should be mentioned as well that Dan's set is almost all PF70!!! This comes at a great time and $$ expense. To put this set together now would cost anywhere between $40k-$60, paired with a great deal of frustration and time. Congrats Dan. I am competing with him on several sets, and he is quite the competitor!!!!

It looks to me like there will only be 4 people to ever finish that set: Dan Hughes, Martens, Augustus and Dharma King. I think DesertDiamond could do it, but she would have to pick up the buying pace significantly in order not to fall behind.

ComeToCanada - I appreciate the mention but this set is not a priority for me right now. I imagine it might me someday. It's a very fun set.

I'm liking modern gold right now as a portfolio hedge and because it can be attained at a grade of 70 with not much premium. I'm almost finished with my complete 1 ounce buffalo set and just started gold eagles and high reliefs. I'm also deep into the modern gold commemoratives. Good luck competing with Dan - you'd better have your pocket book open - haha. Regards, DK