• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Why is this forum so poorly followed?

76 posts in this topic

TomB - An excellent post - I can certainly identify with writing long posts - but I find it's difficult to summarize a complex problem without a thorough analysis - IF I get smarter, maybe I'll be able to write shorter posts crazy.gif

As far as posting here and participating - I haven't done so for quite awhile - I got very involved with the TCCS which I helped found and which I have spent a lot of time on so that it is a successful endeavor - but I try to contribute when I stop by and I find the discussions here more thought worthy than over at PCGS - not that there isn't great info over there, but sometimes you have to shout over the "din" to be heard -

I'll make a bit more of an effort to stop by here and post a bit more - this is a nice place to interact with fellow collectors and I enjoy the discourse

This is WAY off topic, but Lucy's picture of the T-bird triggered me to mention this. I just watched the old Steve McQueen movie, "The Great St. Louis Bank Robbery" this weekend. For such an old movie, it was surprisingly engaging, and it was extremely cool to see some of those old cars in the various shots of parking lots, etc.

James

• Administrator

I've seen the PCGS board software. I'm not sure what the appeal is. I find it very difficult to figure out what threads contain new posts, and I don't see a mechanism to jump right to them? That all by itself is a make or break difference for me. I don't like the gremlin interface as much, or the graemlins for that matter. confused-smiley-013.gif

Architect,

I would say that the text on the PCGS seems more "condensed" or "compressed", such that I can view more information on the screen at one time. The NGC boards seems to have too many borders, separators, wider margins, whatever, that seem to reduce the amount of text and information visible on a given single screen.

For example, the box I'm typing this post into right now is pretty small, being THIS

wide (THIS was the last word to fit on the line before dropping down to the next).

Also, again as I type this, I can only see post to which I'm "reply"ing to, and would have to open a second window to have the whole thread up and reviewable.

But these are minor complaints I guess.

James

Those are the same reasons I like this software more than the other board. I also like that it shows who you are responding to. The PM function is better over there, though. The history is sorted by user name and number of messages. It displays all of the messages back and forth for each person like a thread (flat mode?).

Jumps?????????????? We talking a board?

Get with it cat, don't be square...

Those Comic Hepcats really get that joint jumpin!

It is never dullsville over there Daddy-o.

WHAAAAT? Cat..square, u need to get w/ it.

I've seen the PCGS board software. I'm not sure what the appeal is. I find it very difficult to figure out what threads contain new posts, and I don't see a mechanism to jump right to them? That all by itself is a make or break difference for me. I don't like the gremlin interface as much, or the graemlins for that matter. confused-smiley-013.gif

I agree w/ most or your statement. Besides the already listed probs @cu, their search system SUCKS. The software seems primative to me.

This board win's hands down! laugh.gif

WHAAAAT? Cat..square, u need to get w/ it.

BWUAAHAAAHAAAHAAAA!!!!

The Kitty gets way gone, no sittin' still over here........

Tom B, nice post, and I think most of your points are on the money.

The only notable exception I see might be the "PCGS Brand Loyalty" with regard to submissions. Many, many collectors on the PCGS boards have had nothing but nice things to say about NGC's customer service and the terrific work done at NCS. It now appears that most of the heavy grading submitters on the PCGS boards submit to BOTH NGC and PCGS. ANACS gets a lot of accolades on the PCGS boards as well, especially for variety attribution.

As regards the registry, there does apper to be more brand loyalty to PCGS over NGC.

Those reasons being considered, it still seems amazing that the volume of activity on PCGS appears to be at least 30 times that of "Sleepy Hollow", given the apparent increasing NGC market share of submissions. Go figure!! confused-smiley-013.gif

Welcome Connecticoin. Many of the people over here switched brands because they either were kicked off the other board for speaking their mind or events over there pushed them away. Also, the other board started before this one and already had a following when this board started. I do not have any particular purchase bias between the two (I buy the coin). However, other factors drove me away from any desire to pay dues over there.

The final straw was when they dipped a heavily toned '21 Peace dollar that I submitted for grading and then lied about it. They claimed the packaging material (bubble wrap and mylar flip) had made the coin white again. This "Hall"mark level of service turned me off when they blew me off.

The final straw was when they dipped a heavily toned '21 Peace dollar that I submitted for grading and then lied about it. They claimed the packaging material (bubble wrap and mylar flip) had made the coin white again. This "Hall"mark level of service turned me off when they blew me off.

Thanks for the welcome.

Wow, what do you think they dipped your Peace Dollar in? My understanding was that they would call you before dipping, and would only use Acetone to, say, dip off PVC or loose crud.

The coin was toned 100% orange through red. The dealer and I could not positively grade it through the toning. I told the dealer when I bought it (raw) that I was going to send it in and he agreed to take it back if it did not grade. PCGS dipped it in Jeweluster or some acetic solution. It came back white with a faint pink luster. It did not grade and then the dealer would not take the coin back because it had been dipped. Double screwed!

The coin was toned 100% orange through red. The dealer and I could not positively grade it through the toning. I told the dealer when I bought it (raw) that I was going to send it in and he agreed to take it back if it did not grade. PCGS dipped it in Jeweluster or some acetic solution. It came back white with a faint pink luster. It did not grade and then the dealer would not take the coin back because it had been dipped. Double screwed!

Damn, OldTrader, did u have a pic of the coin? Seems like PCGS, would be liable to buy the coin from you.

I became so disgusted with the whole scene that I did not go back on PCGS. The Customer Service guy that I spoke to at PCGS was so rude (and talked down to me like I was an insufficiently_thoughtful_person child) because I was questioning THEIR service that I figured it was a total waste of time trying to resolve ANY issue with PCGS. I did send PCGS a follow up email though, restating my conversation with Customer Service which they ignored.

I blew the coin out at a show for a loss and walked away. As for the dealer, I never bought another coin from him and won't any time soon.

sign-rantpost.gif

OT3 -- that was terrible -- PCGS certainly should have called you before dipping the coin -- which I think they usually do. Looks like they made a mistake and were too arrogant to admit it.

SDM: If you do not like PCGS, I understand not submitting to them, but if you restrict yourself from buying PCGS holdered coins, you are limiting your pool of potential purchases -- you know, buy the coin, not the holder. And, if you have an NGC Registry set, you can still keep the coin in the PCGS holder and have it in your set.

Heck, I bought my first NTC slab recently, because it had an 04-O Morgan with a nice strike and nice toning. I will be cracking that third-world [#@$%!!!] slab, though! grin.gif