• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

NGC "Brilliant Uncirculated" holder

10 posts in this topic

My understanding is that large lots (usually Dealer lots) could be submitted for encapsulating with just the Uncirculated designation, for cheap. NGC confirmed they were gradable, and genuine without the task of assigning a MS ** number.

Edited by Raisethis2

I thought I read somewhere that the "Brilliant Uncirculated" on NGC slabs was equivalent to a MS60 grade?  I can't recall where I read that- maybe someone who knows what the designation means can chime in and clarify.    

Edited by PocketArt

MS60 to MS63. is usually the call for BU listed coins. Dealers and NGC would rather keep count on MS64 and up so the lower coins can get BU Uncirculated which keeps the lower grade count down on less worthy coins.

JMO of course!! :)

Edited by Six Mile Rick

Well from reading NGCs own description of "brilliant uncirculated" it means MS60 MIN but up to MS70 "Choice Uncirculated" is 63+ and the Gem Uncirculated or Gem BU are 65+ coins. Had to look this up myself today because of a new purchase with that label :D

jadams.thumb.jpg.d9b2fd204096e5b7c7eb03548db10b5d.jpg

NGCs exact wording :D

NGC considers BRILLIANT UNCIRCULATED to be any coins that would grade from 60-70 on the Sheldon Grading Scale. CHOICE UNCIRCULATED is considered to be any coins that would grade from 63 to 70. GEM UNCIRCULATED (sometimes indicated as GEM UNC or GEM BU) is used for coins that would grade from 65 to 70

Edited by mrweaseluv

I agree with you!  The discrepancy between grades these days (is it really only MS-61+?  or only MS-61?) has become much too fine a line, today.  It might be even be explainable for some coins, but the reality is that most coins are common and don't need such fine layers of discrepancy.

I really don't care much whether that 2008 Sacawagea grades MS-63, or MS-63+.  It's still worth a dollar to me.