• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

David J. Ginsburg passes

18 posts in this topic

• Administrator

Sadly I inform you that David J. Ginsburg passed away unexpectedly.

He was past President of the NJ Numismatic Society and winner of its Nettleship Award for numismatic accomplishment. He was known to many here on the boards by his handle DaveG.

Visitation will be Friday, February 5, from 4 to 8 pm at the O'Boyle Funeral Home, Bloomfield, NJ. Services will be held Saturday, February 6, at 10 am at St. Luke's Church, Montclair, NJ. For those who wish, in lieu of flowers, donations in David's name should be made to the Glen Ridge Library.

Condolences and peaceful wishes go out to his family.

Yikes!!

This is a major shock and a loss of a fine person!

I've corresponded with Dave many times. Deep interest in southern gold an how the economy worked..... I had just provided suggestions on one of his articles he planned for the Numismatist.....

David Ginsburg

Extremely sad news. Dave had a scholarly interest in Dahlonega mint gold, among many other pursuits. Please post here any detailed obituaries when they appear.

He was also a "quiet contributor" to several books and a had a great store of knowledge. His messages here and on PCGS boards were insightful and filled with astute observations.

Obit from the Essex News Daily of New Jersey:

David J. Ginsburg, Age 57, of Glen Ridge, NJ, passed away unexpectedly on February 3, 2016. Beloved husband of Elisabeth and devoted father of Katherine. Loving brother of Sharon Lesgold and Rachel Ginsburg.

Born August 22, 1957 in Kingman, Arizona, son of Benjamin and Esther Ginsburg. Earned a BA from Northwestern University and MBA from the University of Missouri. Served as an officer in the U.S. Air Force from 1980-1985. Resident of Glen Ridge for the past 26 years. Trustee of the Glen Ridge Library Board, Secretary and Past President of the NJ Numismatic Society and winner of its Nettleship Award for numismatic accomplishment. Visitation will be Friday, February 5, from 4 to 8 pm at the O’Boyle Funeral Home, Bloomfield, NJ. Services will be held Saturday, February 6, at 10 am at St. Luke’s Church, Montclair, NJ. Please express condolences at

www.oboylefuneralhome.com.

For those who wish, in lieu of flowers, donations in David’s name should be made to the Glen Ridge Library.

Perhaps because of his Missouri connection, Dave bought several coins from me on the NGC boards over the years. I am terribly saddened to hear of his passing. It's amazing, the terrific people one meets in this hobby, which is ultimately the best part about it.

I knew Dave from the local shows. We had a great conversation at the last Parsippany show about collecting old newspapers that featured articles about coins. I'm extremely saddened to hear about this. He was such an easy person to get along with and truly loved the hobby.

We will miss you dearly Dave.

So sorry to learn of this.

Dave routinely posted his Parsippany Coin Show Report, and it would be a thread I would always click on because Parsippany isn't too far away from where I live, and having never been to a coin show yet, his posts would bring me one step closer to finally going to one.

It is ironic that with User Names on Chat Boards, you almost never know how close other members live to where you live, to help protect everyone's privacy. And this being the case, you end up finding much more about them only with their passing.

As it turns out, Dave and I had several things in common. He lived less than two miles away from me. (I grew up in Montclair and now live in Glen Ridge.) He was born in Kingman, Arizona and I went to ASU for college. Our birth years are only two years apart, and both of us were born in late August.

Where he lived is a really nice section of Glen Ridge. Large properties, for suburban New Jersey, and old houses that keep you constantly working at them to keep them up. Glen Ridge is an extremely charming town. An old fashion, sleepy little Post Office, just around the corner from him, would have been where he shipped and received his coins. And, in case you don't know, all of Glen Ridge does not have street lights. Instead, they are all gas "street lamps." For this reason, Glen Ridge is one of the most wonderful places you will ever drive through at night, especially in winter when the double wicks of the gas street lamps reflect a soft glow on falling snow.

And he would have been safe at home taking in that beautiful view during the blizzard that hit the the East Coast that last weekend of his life.

Since Dave was born in Kingman, I'd like to imagine that he spent his early youth visiting the Grand Canyon, which was easily less than an hour away for him. If you live in Arizona, especially in Northern Arizona, the Grand Canyon looms large in your life. (It is Arizona.) Visiting the Grand Canyon is a life changing experience because you gain an appreciation of the best of the best that is America. There is nothing like it; it shapes your outlook forever.

It may have contributed to his involvement in collecting US coins. After all, US coin collectors, each of us, make us conservators of the things that represent the beginnings of the American experience. And as such, all of this, for him, would have involved him reaching out to learn more about the hobby, and to get involved, becoming Secretary and Past President of the NJ Numismatic Society and winner of its Nettleship Award for numismatic accomplishment.

I wish I had met him. I'm sure we would have had a lot to talk about, being of similar age, places lived, and sharing an interest in coins.

Condolences to his family, and may he rest in peace.

I am sorry to read of this. It is sad that a man with that much talent would be taken from us at a fairly young age.

I have wondered why I don't remember Dave because I was member of the New Jersey Numismatic Society in the mid to late 1970s. Doing the math he was probably a couple years short of joining that group when I moved from New Jersey in 1979. I'm sorry that I never met him.