• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

So-Called Dollars

13 posts in this topic

Lately, I have developed an interest in So-Called Dollars. I have been researching them, reading about the events they depict, and picking out my favorite designs (which seem to be ones issued for Expositions and Fairs). Many of the designs are beautiful! I have found Hibler and Kappen's so-calleddollar.com website to be extremely helpful. The only snag I am running into is finding a price guide. I don't want to buy any without first knowing a roundabout price. Are there any good websites/books you (anyone) use? Or should I just use Heritage?

Note: many of the pieces I am interested in very seldom show up for auction. Thus, HA's data is very scattered and spread out. Am I not looking hard enough?

My favorite so far:

image_zpsi49kqr4b.png

Thanks for your help!

Tyler

There was a price guide that came with the new editions of the book, but that was issued a while ago, and I don't know how good it is now. I know that a lot of veteran dealers who have sold so-called dollars for years said a couple years ago that the prices were too high. A correction was in order.

I don't have a huge direct interest in these pieces. I only collect some of the varieties that are listed in the book. You can take my advice from that.

There are many other medals of similar sizes and descriptions that are not the H-K book or its updated version.

There was a price guide that came with the new editions of the book, but that was issued a while ago, and I don't know how good it is now. I know that a lot of veteran dealers who have sold so-called dollars for years said a couple years ago that the prices were too high. A correction was in order.

I don't have a huge direct interest in these pieces. I only collect some of the varieties that are listed in the book. You can take my advice from that.

I'll probably end up getting the book at some point. For now, the free online info is working well. I guess I'll go off of what seems reasonable without spending any significant amount. I will research HA, etc. as much as possible to find prices.

There are many other medals of similar sizes and descriptions that are not the H-K book or its updated version.

I came across the piece pictured above on eBay. This led to researching SCDs and the HK website/info. As of now, I have been looking exclusively at ones listed on that website. Thank you for the info and, hopefully, at some point I come across some nice ones that are not in that book,

"So-Called Dollars" are medals which meet certain criteria:

1) The piece must be minted in 1961 or before (this may be expanded to 1964 at some point);

2) It must be between about 34mm and 41mm in diameter (roughly silver-dollar size);

3) Generally, they commemorate something;

4) Commercial advertising pieces are excluded;

5) Anything with a face value (like a token) is ineligible;

6) Political medals that promote a specific candidate are also ineligible.

There are exceptions for cross-over pieces and certain popular series.

My favorites are the ones that are related to currency issues (gold/silver standards), mining, and minting. Here are a couple:

30693208_large.jpg

32990470_large.jpg

jan_hk-828.jpg

Some are extremely rare and prices can be hard to determine. I would use past auction records such as those at Heritage.

If you send me a PM here with your email address, I can email you the most recent price list from Jeff Shevlin. If you are looking seriously for SCDs, Jeff is "the dealer" who knows the most about them, and has the most extensive history and experience in selling them. He is also one helluva nice guy if you ever get a chance to talk with him at a coin show.

Brandon

Except for "Bryan Dollars" like this which seems to run against their criteria. ???

BryanDolComO_zps5f90a0ff.jpgBryanDolComRa_zps563c3c22.jpg

Except for "Bryan Dollars" like this which seems to run against their criteria. ???

BryanDolComO_zps5f90a0ff.jpgBryanDolComRa_zps563c3c22.jpg

That is one of the pieces that I consider to be a gold/silver standard commentary. Although related to Bryan, it doesn't advocate any particular candidate. The size of it is significantly bigger than a typical so-called dollar. But it is related to other 38mm pieces with a similar theme.

1) The piece must be minted in 1961 or before (this may be expanded to 1964 at some point);

2) It must be between about 34mm and 41mm in diameter (roughly silver-dollar size);

Have you ever heard a few interesting facts about a coin series and had the irresistible impulse to buy an example right away?

I have been working on a custom set that I call "The Silver Dollars of '60". As you can imagine, there aren't many mainstream coins to include in this set. Reading Daniel's post made me curious about "So-Called Dollars" from 1960. Sure enough I found an interesting variety that I just had to have for my collection.

Although I have been rewarded for my patience ( Second Chances ) , I have been more often spanked for my impatience -- but have I learned? Apparently, not. I'll post more about the coin when I have it in hand.

~jack

That's a nice piece Tyler N.

(thumbs u

Here's my one and only:

Wisconsin_So_Called_Dollar_ComboA.jpg

1936 Wisconsin Territorial Centennial So-Called Dollar, HK-696, Bronze, 35mm.

Harold E. Hibler and Charles V. Kappen:

Medal commemorates 100th anniversary as territory, not Statehood, Wisconsin having been admitted to Union May 29, 1848. Legislature created Wisconsin Centennial, Inc. 1933 with $500 appropriation, later increased. Celebration was state-wide, highlight being presentation of pageant, "Centennial Cavalcade of Wisconsin," in stadium of University of Wisconsin, Madison, June 27-July 5, 1936; "witnessed by at least 75,000 spectators."

This was official medal, sponsored and designed by Commission; 1,500 pieces struck in Bronze; sold for $1.

Obv. Capitol building, clouds behind; at base on small ribbon 1936; smaller edifice to l.; at base, on small ribbon 1836; above all, around Wisconsin Territorial Centennial; below all is prone animal (badger?) on dotted line.

Rev. Eagle in upper center panel; to l. 19 / June / 27, to r. 36 / July / 5; above at border Madison; below panel Official / Wisconsin / Centennial / Celebration; stars all around at border.