• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Ahhh, the privileges, and the perils of a partnership. Getting back on eBay!

6 posts in this topic

Many if not most of you know of my personal distaste for eBay. I have not used it in something like seven years, although my handle ("earlyus") still exists, and it looks like I can actually still log in.

Since I have business partners in my company now, personal biases must be trumped by business decisions. I can't just "do what I want" anymore, and decisions have to be geared toward profitability. And it looks like one decision is to bring eBay back into the fold as a marketing venue.

So it looks like some of you who still use eBay may see me on there from time to time. I just wanted to explain a bit of the rationale behind it since I've been so anti-eBay for so long (although in actuality, it really stems from being very anti-PayPal).

Hopefully, I may avoid some of the numerous pitfalls and complaints I've seen posted here and ATS over the years, and if anybody wants to use this thread as a place to make suggestions, or just mention things to avoid, I'm all ears!

PS: Yes, my business peeps are going to see this thread :) .

James, I'm sure you remember the days when sellers would say (threaten) "I'll leave you positive feedback after you've left positive feedback for me."

Well, get ready for the buyers who think they have all the rights, and you have none.

Good luck, my friend.

Chris

James, I'm sure you remember the days when sellers would say (threaten) "I'll leave you positive feedback after you've left positive feedback for me."

Well, get ready for the buyers who think they have all the rights, and you have none.

Good luck, my friend.

Chris

"Feedback" has lost all of its meaning and purpose. I don't ever leave any feedback anymore, and the sellers can do what they want with it.

The eBay model has changed since you left. eBay decided to go towards the Amazon route and now caters to fixed listings.

If you have partners and hate eBay, one of them can be in charge of it and it should not matter much to you.

Sooner or later those who want to do much commerce in the collectibles world, may have to come back to ebay. As much as I hate monopolies in any field as unhealthy for business, ebay has a huge market share. I have heard people say how they hate the internet for whatever reasons but it is unavoidable these days for sales, and ebay has mastered the medium. I don't recommend zero reserve auctions as too risky unless you really have all the aspects of that worked out.