• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

1883 V nickel with die crack

7 posts in this topic

Copper-Nickel is a tough metal; unlike the silver, so it's pretty common for cause the die crack on Liberty Nickel by the force press from work hub (about 100 - 800 tons; depending on what metal they're pressing on). It doesn't affect the value.

Contact coinzip. I believe he has a series of pictures depicting progression, and doubling.

I personally disagree with the thoughts that value is not changed up or down, but that is not really an important issue to me. I believe his pictures represent an extension of the work published by another collector long ago.

This is simply a later die state and I dont think it will bring a premium. Many Seated coins will come with known cracks that may even be rare but only a small number of them will have a premium (the 41-O baseball half for example). I suspect V nicks are the same story.

Die cracks are fairly common on these coins. It will neither add or subtract from the value.

I second that. These small cracks are especially common. I large cud, or other major die break on a terminal die state may bring a premium.