• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

How would you tell this coin is real from its photo ?

20 posts in this topic

The OP is brand new to the forum and you guys decide to be snarky. Did I chuckle? Sure, but put yourself in his/her shoes. They just wanted an honest answer.

Agree with e1cnr about checking Heritage for comparisons.

To add, if you're really serious about the coin, request better obverse photos and photos of the reverse.

The OP is brand new to the forum and you guys decide to be snarky. Did I chuckle? Sure, but put yourself in his/her shoes. They just wanted an honest answer.

To add, if you're really serious about the coin, request better obverse photos and photos of the reverse.

Well, my first impression was this is a rhetorical question. Not much information is given in op's question or any reasoning behind it. Ithink if someone wanted information, that more information be provided. The reasoning behind my bit of humor. Not that I needed one!

When someone asks about a coin based on a mediocre pic I assume the pic came from a dealer web site or eBay and he doesn't disclose where the pic comes from so some other forum member doesn't jump in to buy it. I would never authenticate a coin based on a pic such as this due to poor lighting and lack of detail. That said, I don't see anything that would lead me to believe it's counterfeit.

When someone asks about a coin based on a mediocre pic I assume the pic came from a dealer web site or eBay and he doesn't disclose where the pic comes from so some other forum member doesn't jump in to buy it. I would never authenticate a coin based on a pic such as this due to poor lighting and lack of detail. That said, I don't see anything that would lead me to believe it's counterfeit.

I agree but since only one side is shown, I am thinking possibly a source like craigslist.

How reliable is the seller? Is there a return option? How safe and close is the coin to you?

If you have the tools, a diameter and weight check when in hand. Then a 'die' analysis comparing with a known authentic will help authenticating. The best way to be 95%+ sure, is a trip to a TPG.

This coin was on an auction site (something like "government auctions")

usauctionbrokers

I,m fine with the humorous retorts. This coin just caught my eye, but I think I have heard that old coins like this can be cast.I am enjoying this forum and learn something new every day. Next time I will try to give more info with my post.

They do have a picture of the other side.

DA11731-2.JPG

I stay away from companies like the one you are linking to. They have a 19% bp and a $15 shipping fee. My experience is frequently you are bidding against them and all items go for retail plus. If they end up 'winning' an item it shows up again in another auction in a few weeks. Their 'vague' header implies thay have access to items that other people do not. Frequently they sell raw coins because they are damaged in some way... I do not collect early coppers though.

Well, my first impression was this is a rhetorical question. Not much information is given in op's question or any reasoning behind it. Ithink if someone wanted information, that more information be provided. The reasoning behind my bit of humor. Not that I needed one!

I understand Bobby. I felt compelled to comment because of the first few answers to the OP's question, only 1 attempted to help. Since he was new to the forum, I didn't want said person to get discouraged.

I did find the post humorous.

I understand Bobby. I felt compelled to comment because of the first few answers to the OP's question, only 1 attempted to help. Since he was new to the forum, I didn't want said person to get discouraged.

I did find the post humorous.

NP my friend!

How would you tell this coin is real from its photo ?

It isn't even possible to determine whether a coin is real 100% of the time in person, so it stands to reason one cannot determine a coin's authenticity from a photo - ANY photo.

One has to rely on gut feel, and in that case, the representation of the obverse in this case appears to be that of a genuine copper.

This coin was on an auction site (something like "government auctions")

usauctionbrokers

I,m fine with the humorous retorts. This coin just caught my eye, but I think I have heard that old coins like this can be cast.I am enjoying this forum and learn something new every day. Next time I will try to give more info with my post.

My gut feel is to always stay away from any company that feels the need to incorporate "U.S.", or "National", or "Government", or "Official" in its name. When someone needs to rely on connotative words to attract trust, it's all-too-often to compensate for lack of trust in other areas.

It isn't even possible to determine whether a coin is real 100% of the time in person, so it stands to reason one cannot determine a coin's authenticity from a photo - ANY photo.

True, but sometimes you CAN determine a coin is NOT authentic from a photo.