• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

The New NGC Census and Price Guide

45 posts in this topic

For those of you who haven't seen it, NGC completely re-vamped their census and price guide. It appears to have been released today. Any thoughts or opinions on it?

I think overall, I like it. There are a few bugs which will need to be worked out. I am using Chrome, things seem to work differently in Internet Explorer...

1. You used to be able to click on a value in the price guide and it would take you to a "trend analysis" and give you price history for the past several years. This doesn't work anymore.

2. You used to be able to click on a date and it would take you to the "coin explorer" page, with a lot of information and details about the date. This doesn't work anymore. If there was one thing I liked and wanted back, this would be it.

3. I don't like that the "scroll bar" is all the way at the bottom, so you have to scroll to the bottom to get the bar to scroll left or right. Sometimes right and left arrows work to scroll, sometimes they don't.

4. The experience seems to have been designed for mobile apps. That's great for mobile users. That's not great for me.

5. I do like that details graded coins are now included in the census. That is valuable information.

6. Perhaps this is user error.... but what happened to all the Plus and Star information?

I'm having problems with the new census and price guide. Every time I try to load the page I get an "unresponsive -script"...or something like that. Neither have actually worked for me in like 2 days.

I tried turning ad block off. I tried using a different browser. Nothing.

I tried cursing at it. I tried giving it the finger. But verbal or gestural persuasions didn't yield any results either. So I don't know. I'm hoping there's just a bug NGC's IT hasn't worked out yet.

• Administrator

Thanks for your comments. Of course, will be working to catch any glitches that were missed during QA testing. You're welcome to post any issues you encounter in this thread, and I'll make sure they are properly reported. Please include the browser/version you're using, too.

1. You used to be able to click on a value in the price guide and it would take you to a "trend analysis" and give you price history for the past several years. This doesn't work anymore.

This should be working now as always.

2. You used to be able to click on a date and it would take you to the "coin explorer" page, with a lot of information and details about the date. This doesn't work anymore. If there was one thing I liked and wanted back, this would be it.

This is coming to a future release. Because of a display issue this feature was temporarily deprecated. It will return soon.

3. I don't like that the "scroll bar" is all the way at the bottom, so you have to scroll to the bottom to get the bar to scroll left or right. Sometimes right and left arrows work to scroll, sometimes they don't.

The best way to scroll is to click anywhere on the grid and move left or right while the left mouse button is still depressed. Very efficient! Once everyone gets the hang of it, I think this will be preferred to using scroll bars.

4. The experience seems to have been designed for mobile apps. That's great for mobile users. That's not great for me.

This responsive design is meant to provide a better experience cross platform. But it's not only for tablets and phones. It should be an upgrade for desktop users as well. We understand that the transition period is always a little uncomfortable.

6. Perhaps this is user error.... but what happened to all the Plus and Star information?

Click on the funnel shaped icon at the top right. Various filters are there and you can see Plus and Star graded coins.

• Administrator
I just checked the State Quarters, and I noticed that there is no listing for Proofs.

Chris

You can press the "D" key to toggle between MS and PF. Or you can use the filters at the top right (the funnel shaped icon).

• Administrator
I'm having problems with the new census and price guide. Every time I try to load the page I get an "unresponsive -script"...or something like that. Neither have actually worked for me in like 2 days.

Uh-oh. The new census and price guide went live last night. Might be an issue on your end. What browser/version are you using? We can investigate.

Uh-oh. The new census and price guide went live last night. Might be an issue on your end. What browser/version are you using? We can investigate.

Yup. So I actually just talked to the IT guys that work with. My browser (Firefox) is up to date. But they suggested "refreshing" Firefox and it worked. The refresh is on Firefox's website.

• Administrator

Yup. So I actually just talked to the IT guys that work with. My browser (Firefox) is up to date. But they suggested "refreshing" Firefox and it worked. The refresh is on Firefox's website.

I would recommend anyone having similar issues first try to refresh the page (i.e. reload it, not from cache). This works in most browsers:

Windows: ctrl + F5

Mac/Apple: Apple + R or command + R

• Administrator
But I'm relieved to see that the useless "Find it on Ebay" button is still there, to slow things down and clutter the view!

This feature shouldn't be slowing the page down, or at least not perceptibly by itself, and not at all after the initial load of the grid.

No offense intended, but seriously, why is that there?

Since you posed this as a serious question...these types of affiliate marketing programs are a part of site development today; not just at NGC, but universally. They allow us to defray a small part of our site development costs and provide first-class resources to our users for free. For some, they can serve a practical utility. For others, they are easy enough to ignore.

So I've been playing with it for a bit...

I like that the prices and population numbers are now automatically set to all be on one page. Although, I miss that each date in an individual coin series had a dedicated page.

But overall, I'm having no further issues with using it. It looks a little cleaner, maybe because it's brighter. I think maybe the "Show filters" funnel-shaped icon should be just a little more prominent. I felt like I had to look for that icon just a little bit at first. But overall good.

Although, I miss that each date in an individual coin series had a dedicated page.

This is the "coin explorer" feature that I was mentioning above. Scott promises that it will be restored (soon, I hope - this was one of the most valuable functions of the site).

• Administrator
Although, I miss that each date in an individual coin series had a dedicated page.

This is the "coin explorer" feature that I was mentioning above. Scott promises that it will be restored (soon, I hope - this was one of the most valuable functions of the site).

Coin Explorer isn't gone. Only the direct links from the Census / Price Guide are temporarily missing.

NGC Coin Explorer

I just looked at the new format for the first time.

The best improvement from my standpoint is the addition of details coins. Many of the coins I collect are scarce or rare and this information is very useful.

However, what I do not see is the details populations for coins which don't have numerically graded equivalents. For example, the South Africa 1931 2 shillings has zero with a numerical grade but it is valuable enough where I would expect someone would have submitted one. Likewise for pillar minors from Peru and Guatemala.

The ability to sort out proofs from business strikes is an improvement. Too much clutter before.

I would have preferred if the prior filter with the denomination and grade remained. With denomination, I could only change it by going back and reselecting. Not a n inconvenience for the most popular countries but I only could do so for the others with multiple. With grade, I could only see below XF by viewing the details for each coin.

So I understand that when there is only a details example, no entry will appear in the regular census. However, it seems that my Mexico 1770/69 FM XF details 8 reales does not show up in the details census either.

So I understand that when there is only a details example, no entry will appear in the regular census. However, it seems that my Mexico 1770/69 FM XF details 8 reales does not show up in the details census either.

If there is no numerically graded coin but only details coins, I haven't seen it included. I didn't see any numerically graded 1770/69's. It's similar to the example I gave above of the South Africa 1931 2 shillings.

There are also coins which are excluded from the numerical census in error. I own a 1770 Bolivia NGC XF-40 4R which I submitted in 2006. It has never been included. I also recently noticed that the 1756 Peru MS-63 Real has been dropped sometime in the last year. Heritage sold this coin on June 2, 2006.

I also recently noticed that the 1756 Peru MS-63 Real has been dropped sometime in the last year. Heritage sold this coin on June 2, 2006.

Perhaps it was a crossover to PCGS where someone actually returned the label. NGC now offers a 50 cent credit for returning crossover labels (NGCcoin.com/labelbuyback). I assumed this was limited to fully graded coins but maybe they will accept details labels now.

I do know that NGC is not consistent about the census when they issue new labels. I sent in two coins that became the only graded examples. However, I was unhappy with both grades and sent them back for regrading. One went from VG-10 to VF-20 and the other from VF-35 to XF-40. The census was updated to reflect the new grades but the old grades were never removed!

PCGS does have an MS-63 for the Peru 1R now. I wasn't aware that either service would adjust the populations for cross overs.

If it is the same coin, in this instance, I think the submitter wasted their money. I don't see this coin being worth more in a PCGS holder and there certainly aren't enough coins of this denomination where anyone is going to be able to accumulate a full set or anywhere near it in any better grade.

NGC should be commended for acting quickly and authoritatively on posted problems with the revised SW. Usability is very important and it is refreshing to see Scott accept and manage the problems for overall improvement.

IT problems are like vampires - they thrive in darkness and evaporate in the light of day.

I like the change, Its like driving a new car, you love it but you don't know how all the controls work yet. But the smell, ride, and feel is awesome. Nice Job NGC (thumbs u

• Administrator
However, what I do not see is the details populations for coins which don't have numerically graded equivalents. For example, the South Africa 1931 2 shillings has zero with a numerical grade but it is valuable enough where I would expect someone would have submitted one. Likewise for pillar minors from Peru and Guatemala.

Details-Graded coins without Numerically-Graded counterparts should appear. I noticed and reported a display glitch related to this. I will follow up when I have more information.

I would have preferred if the prior filter with the denomination and grade remained. With denomination, I could only change it by going back and reselecting. Not a n inconvenience for the most popular countries but I only could do so for the others with multiple. With grade, I could only see below XF by viewing the details for each coin.

The ability to select multiple denominations or all denominations would be an improvement. I will investigate what can be done here.

I'm still waiting for NGC to acknowledge the existence of 16th century coins. It's odd that you will certify them but won't include them in the census.

I don't have a release date, but we also want to get more pre-16th Century coins in the Census. I appreciate your patience.

I own a 1770 Bolivia NGC XF-40 4R which I submitted in 2006. It has never been included.

Your coin is not included because NGC now recognizes varieties for this coin by default. We have Census entries for 1770PTS JR SMALL "JR", 1770/69PTS JR SMALL "JR", 1770PTS JR LARGE "JR". If you can email me a picture of provide correct attribution, I can update it accordingly.

I do know that NGC is not consistent about the census when they issue new labels. I sent in two coins that became the only graded examples. However, I was unhappy with both grades and sent them back for regrading. One went from VG-10 to VF-20 and the other from VF-35 to XF-40. The census was updated to reflect the new grades but the old grades were never removed!

I deleted the certifications of these two coins. They will disappear from the Census next Monday when the update runs. Should you ever notice an error or oversight like this, just email customer service and it will be addressed immediately.

• Administrator

Can you send me the certification number of this coin so that we can investigate fully? Thanks.

Scott, what happened to the "Tokens & Medals" part of the Census? When I tried to access them for the US, the page for coins opens.

Chris

Details-Graded coins without Numerically-Graded counterparts should appear. I noticed and reported a display glitch related to this. I will follow up when I have more information. .

After I wrote my last post, I noticed that some denominations have a tab for a details census while others do not. For example, I see it for Mexico pillar and Bustos 8R and the South Africa 2.5 shillings. I still didn't see it for the 2 shillings though all 2 shillings but the 1931 can be viewed by clicking the "D' for any single entry.

I consider it unlikely that there are many 20th century coins with only details populations (such as the SA 1931 2 shilling presumably). However, I presume there are many 19th century and earlier and if these are actually excluded now, it would be nice to have access to this data.

I don't have a picture of my 1770 Bolivia 4R but can send the serial number later.

Thanks for your response.