• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Grades in from ATS - Trueviews vs myviews

14 posts in this topic

I subbed these ATS because my buddy had 2 of their quarterly specials he wasn't going to use, so I got 6 coins graded for the price of eight. One I had never posted in the "can you spare a grade" section. All were bought raw by me.

1936-D, most grade guesses were in the 64-65 range. They said MS66.

1936-D_zpszhi1ax3h.jpg

1936-D_zps6pgwfhjk.jpg

1916-D, grade guesses all over, in the 58-64 range. They said MS62. I thought it looked a good bit better than a 62 myself.

16-d%20obv2_zpsshpuco6f.jpg

1916-D_zpshpxjhwbc.jpg

1916-S, AU58 to MS63. They said MS64.

1916s%20obv_zpspmdz7jls.jpg

1916-S_zpsi6wmuyzl.jpg

Wow, thanks for sharing. ... you should share your secret with me on where in the heck you are finding WL halves like these in the raw my friend! In 5 years I've managed it only one time.... only ONCE! . I found a 1917 S obverse. It was raw, being sold as AU58, I paid 1500 and I knew without question it was UNC... it sits in a MS63 holder and I think I'd get a MS64 if I tried one more time.

Anyways, congrats. Great coins.

Wow, congrats on the grades, especially the 36D! I don't think I would have guessed 66 even if you showed me the TruView.

Just goes to show you how tricky it can be to grade from photos....

Is it me not knowing the series, or are the rims on that 16-D abnormally thick?

Congrats on the grades!

The early Walkers have that appearance. Compare the ones on Heritage: http://coins.ha.com/c/search-results.zx?Ne=1897&N=51+793+794+791+1577+792+375+4294967112&ic4=Refine-USCoinYear-102615

Early Lincolns also had thicker rims. I like the look.

The early Walkers have that appearance. Compare the ones on Heritage: http://coins.ha.com/c/search-results.zx?Ne=1897&N=51+793+794+791+1577+792+375+4294967112&ic4=Refine-USCoinYear-102615

Early Lincolns also had thicker rims. I like the look.

Thanks for the link, interesting phenomenon. I too, like the look.

That's amazing---Big Congrats!

I was worried about the dark areas on the eagle's breast and Liberty's breast of the 1916-S. Glad that it straight graded so high, as that's the biggest score in the group.

Very difficult to tell, if it was just discoloration, wear or a foreign substance from just the photos.

It is also difficult to tell for sure from photos about improper cleaning, hairlines, PVC and a whole host of other issues.

Sliders are also VERY prevalent in pre-1934 Walkers.

An in hand inspection by a trained eye is essential .

Grading is subjective, so there are still no guarantees.

You did very well.

Wow, congrats on the grades, especially the 36D! I don't think I would have guessed 66 even if you showed me the TruView.

Just goes to show you how tricky it can be to grade from photos....

Nice grades

I agree - photos are difficult to capture luster and eye appeal.

Thanks!

The 36-D received the lowest grade guesses of the 3 or 4 I had posted with it. In my opinion, it was the best looking one of the bunch and I had pipe dreams of a 67, but had a feeling the luster was a bit lacking (too frosty/satiny) to make that lofty of a grade and was expecting a 66. I also had a 36-S grade 65, it has a fantastic strike for the year & mint and fantastic luster.

All in all, 2 graded what I was expecting, one graded higher, and one lower. I am quite pleased.

36-S_zpsuce2lads.jpg