• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

mintage announced for 2015 proof platinum eagle

11 posts in this topic

According to today's issue of Mint News Blog, the final mintage for the 2015 proof platinum eagle is 3881, down slightly from the expected 4000, the deficiency of 119 coins perhaps due to damage/faults, or lost/missing, or maybe never actually produced.

2015 is now therefore the key date by a margin of 721 pieces for the one ounce proofs, made every year since 1997, the census by quantity minted for the scarcer dates being:

2015 ---- 3881

2014 ---- 4602

2008 ---- 4769

2013 ---- 5763

2004 ---- 6007

2005 ---- 6602

The above does not take into account the burnished nor the regular bullion issues, nor the fractional coins, it is exclusively for the one ounce proofs, which form the only continuous series for platinum eagles. Another one ounce proof coin has been promised for 2016, specifications and issue date still unknown.

Interesting, I know the 2015's sold out in a heartbeat at the mint. I was going to purchase one but too late. Can't wait to see the palladium coins this year! Thanks for info delta.

Looks like a lot of people are getting their coins graded. I have 5 of these coins and have been debating if I should get them graded. Odds are that I should get a few PF70s. Great to hear that only 3881 were made and that this is a key date.

The odds of getting a 70 might not be as good as you think.

One guy recently submitted 18 for grading. Only one graded 70 -- the remaining 17 he had returned unslabbed & ungraded.

See pg 19 for details: https://forums.collectors.com/messageview.aspx?catid=26&threadid=955006&FTVAR_STKEYWORDFRM=&STARTPAGE=19&FTVAR_FORUMVIEWTMP=Linear

The guy who made that claim he only got one graded 70 out of a submission of 18 "fresh" coins is buying actively on the secondary market, and persons selling to him had probably already picked out the best examples for themselves.

That can be true even if "sealed" boxes were being bought, because in this case the coins were mailed in cardboard boxes easy enough to pry open inobtrusively, and then reseal. It's nearly impossible to distinguish between a box that is originally sealed and one carefully resealed. When buying a 2015 Pt proof from anyone other than an intimate source, be sure to either examine the coin first, or have an explicit right of return for a full refund if not satisfied.

If you submitted and were disappointed in a 69, scrutinize the coin for any flaws. If you don't see anything obvious, your coin might have been a borderline 70, and therefore try resubmitting it later, you might be pleasantly rewarded.

However, if collecting these, 69s are almost indistinguishable from 70s, and with Pt now hovering around its 10 year low, this might be a great time to pick up bargain 69s of other dates. Some designs on Pt eagles are gorgeous, my favorite is the 1999.

Looks like a lot of people are getting their coins graded. I have 5 of these coins and have been debating if I should get them graded. Odds are that I should get a few PF70s. Great to hear that only 3881 were made and that this is a key date.

The odds of getting a 70 might not be as good as you think.

One guy recently submitted 18 for grading. Only one graded 70 -- the remaining 17 he had returned unslabbed & ungraded.

See pg 19 for details: https://forums.collectors.com/messageview.aspx?catid=26&threadid=955006&FTVAR_STKEYWORDFRM=&STARTPAGE=19&FTVAR_FORUMVIEWTMP=Linear

Do you know why it came back a 69? Do you see anything that might be the reason? I have two coins that I am looking at and trying to determine if I should submit for grading.

Because he didn't make the appropriate sacrifice to the numismatic gods. They prefer firstborn children, but will also sometimes accepts arms and/or legs. ;)

Do you know why it came back a 69? Do you see anything that might be the reason? I have two coins that I am looking at and trying to determine if I should submit for grading.

I think physics-fan3.14 might be right. :grin:

Full Disclosure: This was my first submission ever. And my first platinum coin.

Before submitting it, I compared with a PF70 Ultra Cameo 2014-S Kennedy half and a PF70 reverse cameo 2015 Canada Maple Leaf (very cool e=mc2 privy).

I thought it compared well with the Kennedy. Maybe a few too many tiny spots? And one spot a bit bigger than the rest:

2015%20100%20American%20Platinum%20Eagle%205a_zps9bgpy1ag.jpg

(Most of those white spots are dust & lint on the plastic capsule.)

My PF70 Maple Leaf has minor issues too -- most notably, a light blotching tone (?) all around the rim's edge. But overall, I think it's slightly better than my Kennedy and Eagle.

Point is, maybe there's no such thing as a perfect coin.

Bottom Line: If you're trying to decide if your coin is perfect enough to grade 70, well, good luck.

Thanks for posting the photo of the obverse, of course we cannot possibly grade it from that image, especially with so much lint. But it might have a little abrasion on the chin, and there might be a small diagonal scrape at the bottom of the neck, please check those spots. Any such noticeable imperfections would alone be sufficient to lower the grade from 70 to 69.

Yes, of course you're perfectly correct, no coins are perfect.

I think physics-fan3.14 might be right. :grin:

Full Disclosure: This was my first submission ever. And my first platinum coin.

Before submitting it, I compared with a PF70 Ultra Cameo 2014-S Kennedy half and a PF70 reverse cameo 2015 Canada Maple Leaf (very cool e=mc2 privy).

I thought it compared well with the Kennedy. Maybe a few too many tiny spots? And one spot a bit bigger than the rest:

2015%20100%20American%20Platinum%20Eagle%205a_zps9bgpy1ag.jpg

(Most of those white spots are dust & lint on the plastic capsule.)

My PF70 Maple Leaf has minor issues too -- most notably, a light blotching tone (?) all around the rim's edge. But overall, I think it's slightly better than my Kennedy and Eagle.

Point is, maybe there's no such thing as a perfect coin.

Bottom Line: If you're trying to decide if your coin is perfect enough to grade 70, well, good luck.

All,

Thanks for your replys. CO Collector, the photo was very helpful. I have three that I have not opened the cardboard box. They are as delivered. I have two that were opened. Both have 1 minor imperfection that I think will keep them from grading PF 70. One has some splotching on the obverse on her neck. Really have to look to see it. The other has a small dot (like in your photo, but smaller) to the right of the W on the reverse side. I would provide photos, but I don't think the imperfections will show. As it stands now, I don't think I will do anything with them. I want to see what happens after the 2016 release. My Youtube page is "themassofmenlead". I have a video of one of the coins there.