• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Congrats, RWB!

46 posts in this topic

Congratulations!

From Mine to Mint is one of the best numismatic books I've ever read - If you haven't read it yet, you should.

It's available from Wizard Coin Supply, of course.

Exactly how I feel. I bought the book in, I think, 2014, and have been reading it fairly religiously, but then it bogged down due to other distractions.

So, it's been on top of my bedside table for so long that I've had to dust it off a few times when cleaning.

I see this mention of the book here, reach over to the book just now, and sure enough, there at the bottom of the front cover is Roger W. Burdette.

Well what do you know!

Congratulations, Roger, on your A. George Mallis Memorial Award for Literary Contribution to VAM Collecting, for your wonderful book.

I suppose it might save me some time, to ask here in hopes of a quick answer, what does VAM stand for? doh!:facepalm::makepoint::tonofbricks:

If I have the name right, LeRoy Van Allen and George Mallis The two men who wrote the book on die varoeties of the Morgan and Peace dollars. Like most variety researchers they used their initials when numbering the varieties.

RWB:

Incredibly cool and definitely deserved. I know that answering my next question might make you seem egotistical but swallow your pride ( :grin: ) and answer it: How many awards have you won for your (tremendous) books?

Mark

Congratulations, Roger, for this well-deserved award. I've thoroughly enjoyed reading the book numerous times and always seem to find something I missed previously.

With that said, now you need to work on your jokes!

Chris :devil:

WOW! I was not aware of the award until I read John's message!

That means a lot coming from such an august and dedicated group!

Thank you, all!

RE:How many awards have you won for your (tremendous) books?

4 Book of the Year.

1 Best Specialty (WW-II Patterns)

3 Extraordinary Merit

I think there have been a couple to Coin World for articles I wrote, but can't remember right now.

Jane Waldron deserves an award for her cover designs for the Renaissance of American Coinage books, too!

I think that's all the official awards.... But to me, the most important awards are not formal pronouncements. They are the confidence and trust shown by collectors and numismatic professionals in the original research, even when the results contradict time-honored assumptions.

Other Awards:

Most Boring CD: "Pittman Silver Dollars"

Most Difficult to Read: "Assay Commission Minutes" (Nearly all in 19th century manuscript on 4 DVDs.)

Worst Message Board Puns and Jokes: Multiple awards and condemnations

Again, Thank you, all!