• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

HOW TO STORE NGC FAT SLAB IN A NGC BOX posted by Augustus

22 posts in this topic

They might fit well in an Intercept Shield box. It holds the same amount of coins - 20 and probably easy to cut for wider slab as it is cardboard instead of hard plastic.

On the other hand --- A soldering iron would melt the divider lines in the NGC box and then a fat slab would only need 1 1/2 slots instead of 3 like you show there.

Melt 2 row dividers next to each other if 2 wide slabs will fit in 3 slots wide. (thumbs u

I think some of you are not realizing that these are not "old fattie" slabs, but the double thickness slabs for some medals and very thick coins (e.g., pieforts). This "discovery" is actually a welcome post and description for those of us who have such items in the thick slabs.

Below is a picture of a normal NGC thickness slab (top), and the double thickness slabs the OP is talking about (bottom).

ngc_thick_holder_zps5cb1443f.jpg

While Intercept was out of stock of so many of their coin supplies I discovered a box of theirs designed for baseball cards did very well with slabs. No track holders, so slabs of any thickness go right in. I can't remember how many slabs fit, but the boxes are longer than the track boxes so it holds more. Maybe 30?

linkage

I use the Armour coin bags too, so the slabs get 'double protection'. I like using the bags so much I have no intention of going back to the track boxes.

I think some of you are not realizing that these are not "old fattie" slabs, but the double thickness slabs for some medals and very thick coins (e.g., pieforts). This "discovery" is actually a welcome post and description for those of us who have such items in the thick slabs.

Below is a picture of a normal NGC thickness slab (top), and the double thickness slabs the OP is talking about (bottom).

ngc_thick_holder_zps5cb1443f.jpg

Brandon is correct. Though these slabs are not quite "double-wide", they are designed for coins and medals that are thicker than normal. When I submitted my ANA 3-medal sets for grading, 10 of the 42 were placed in these slabs because they were struck in high relief.

FWIW, it was NGC that gave me the idea for storing them. When NGC shipped them back to me, they were housed in a cardboard box that was designed to hold 50 slabs of normal width. All they did was remove 10 of the paperboard dividers so each of the wider slabs would fit in a slot.

So, the next time you get a shipment of coins back from NGC, save the shipping boxes and use them for those extra-wide slabs. And, if you think the box looks tacky, you can always cover them with a brightly-covered contact paper of your choice.

Chris

I also use the NGC box I had a large submission returned in. The bear-themed coin set I'm making for the granddaughter has pierfort silver wider coins as well as a coin with a jade gemstone insert in the thicker holder ( I don't usually buy painted, or coins with inserts but her name is Jade so what could I do). I also have 40 to 50 slots for slabs in the box so it is a win/win to keep the growing set in a single box...

I actually keep mine in a wooden box with Styrofoam cut outs. The openings are flexible enough to accept both.

A cardboard box with 42 slabs in it (32 standard & 10 extra-wide) is heavy enough as it is. I'm getting too old to have to be carrying around wooden boxes.

Chris :preach:

I found even a better solution, keep the NGC shipping boxes; they hold the fat slabs very good and as well for storage. But I have even a better question, what about the mid size and the over size holders? EX: the ATB slabs, we want boxes for these coins too!

any one have ideas on these?

Sometimes the obvious solution is too simple to see. What you want to do is leave the front few slots free and put your thick slabs in there side ways. So rather than each slab taking up 3 slots each on the diagonal, you can take up 5 slots with 3.5 slabs. like so, no wasted space :D

thk.jpg

I found even a better solution, keep the NGC shipping boxes; they hold the fat slabs very good and as well for storage. But I have even a better question, what about the mid size and the over size holders? EX: the ATB slabs, we want boxes for these coins too!

any one have ideas on these?

NGC does have a shipping box for their largest slab, but it only holds 4 of them if you leave the dividers in place. It's rather large and unwieldy at 10-1/4" x 8-1/4" x 8". I submitted four 63.5mm medals, and they were shipped back to me in this box. I thought about removing the dividers so it could hold more slabs, but I was concerned that the slabs would get scratched.

Chris

I've used a Wonka "Shrink-o-Vision" on mine for years. The only problem is the chocolate residue.

It was mentioned earlier to try an Intercept Shield box for the no line fatties. I have 2 of these slotted Intercept Shield boxes and the no line fatties do not fit well. They bulge the box.

I also have a double wide Intercept Shield box with no slots. This is where I keep those items that don't fit well in the NGC silver boxes. I also have some no slot slab boxes sent to my by Northeast Numismatics. I store the new PCGS holders in them, since they won't fit in either the NGC silver or PCGS blue boxes.