• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Can't decide, A or B?

28 posts in this topic

I vote B based on looks alone, but 83-O is a very common date with nice color. 1883 is actually quite hard to find. I try to avoid coins which have that grayish tone that almost looks like wear. Otherwise, I very much like the peripheral color on A.

I would want to see the reverses, of course.

But, based solely on the obverse pics, B is the no-question, hands down winner in my book.

Jason, both coins have deep gouges from rim-to-rim on the reverse.

J/K!

Chris

To me, neither is MS65 - the large defects on the face completely disqualify them. As for the toning, B might be a little nicer just because a lot of pieces I've seen that resemble A, are actually more gray when examined in person under controlled lighting conditions.

Of course, I presume only the obverse is is to be evaluated.

Colorwise, I prefer B, but coin A is also unusually nice for an 1883 Philadelphia Mint. I have seen several vibrantly toned New Orleans pieces from the year, but very few from the Philadelphia Mint. Neither coin looks particularly high end to me for the grade, so it seems like most interest would be focused on color.

To me, neither is MS65 - the large defects on the face completely disqualify them. As for the toning, B might be a little nicer just because a lot of pieces I've seen that resemble A, are actually more gray when examined in person under controlled lighting conditions.

Of course, I presume only the obverse is is to be evaluated.

Large defects?

To me, neither is MS65 - the large defects on the face completely disqualify them.

The "defect" on the face of A is a toning break. While it is unattractive and reduces the eye appeal a little bit, it is not a mark and will not significantly impact the grade.

The "defect" on the face of B is a series of roller marks. These are mint-made, as you know, and should not significantly impact the grade at 65. I would have trouble with severe roller marks at 66, and I wouldn't buy a 67 with them - but at 65, they are perfectly acceptable on an otherwise attractive coin.

At first glance the 83-O is best assuming both sides are regular ol' white and good for the grade.

However, as pointed out the 83-P doesn't often come like that so that would be a consideration. Meaning: You can always find a nice 83-O but maybe not an 83-P.

In terms of grade: from the photo the 83-P's toning "mark" is a bit distracting. It will depend on the other attributes of the coin like luster.

The price for each is another issue to be considered.

That's how I'd look at it anyway.

jom

At first glance the 83-O is best assuming both sides are regular ol' white and good for the grade.

However, as pointed out the 83-P doesn't often come like that so that would be a consideration. Meaning: You can always find a nice 83-O but maybe not an 83-P.

In terms of grade: from the photo the 83-P's toning "mark" is a bit distracting. It will depend on the other attributes of the coin like luster.

jom

They sold for within $15 of each other. Like 320 and 310 respectively.

Didn't end up bidding on either because something better popped up.

jom

They sold for within $15 of each other. Like 320 and 310 respectively.

Didn't end up bidding on either because something better popped up.

With Morgan dollars that happens a lot....most of the time you can wait it out for nicer stuff as there seems to be plenty around.

jom