• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

AT or NT????

12 posts in this topic

This is not my series or area of collecting, but the coin looks to have been cleaned and retoned to me. That doesn't make it AT though. So I will call it MA/NT.

Exactly what I was thinking. It might not grade.

I know the pictures are not the best but what is your thoughts.....NT or AT

Sy1EZnWuS32j7Imfnizw_1914o.png

z6Hqx0KxR36xJalAlsAh_1914.png

Perhaps my opinion would change if I saw it in hand, but I see absolutely no evidence of cleaning damage on this coin, based on the provided images. The coin is circulated and has beautiful album toning, which appears to be quite natural.

I also see no signs of cleaning. The toning is certainly not common for this issue, but if it were stored in an album I guess it could get that look.

Looks about AU50 to me -- I could go to 53/55 if there is some luster left. And, as you likely know, this is a difficult coin in AU/MS -- with 1914 being the key to the series.

Nice! (thumbs u

Looks about AU50 to me -- I could go to 53/55 if there is some luster left.

If there isn't a significant accumulation of original luster, then the coin is XF at best IMHO regardless of the details. I also find the lack of luster suspicious on an otherwise AU coin.

Looks about AU50 to me -- I could go to 53/55 if there is some luster left.

If there isn't a significant accumulation of original luster, then the coin is XF at best IMHO regardless of the details. I also find the lack of luster suspicious on an otherwise AU coin.

I respectfully disagree. I happen to know this series pretty well. That coin (if it has any luster) has AU details. Maybe you should take a look at a few supposed MS67 examples on the PCGS website to see what the normal "gem" strikes look like. ;)

That all being said -- it's impossible to grade it properly and look for things like cleaning, etc. from the provided pictures.

My guess, the coin would grade AU details if they don't like the color or thought it was improperly cleaned.....I was thinking AU 55....The strike on these coins were real weak. Even after Barber reworked the master die. While he improved the detail significantly over previous years, the overall strike of this issue is weak. The tell tale wear signs are on the obverse, the snake going across the eagle's chest and the right knee/leg of the eagle. on the reverse the liberty hair line, and her thigh. However the torch looks great.

The coin ended up selling for $2,000, so there were several who thought the color looked ok. If the coin is AU the buyer was paying up a little for the color.

First off, I'd definitely say AU details on it. Likely 55. I don't think it'd make AU 58. As for the color, it is unusual for the issue but that doesn't automatically discount it. I've hunted up nice color on an Ottoman Empire silver 10 Kurush and 2 Third Reich silver 5 Reichsmark coins and those coins typically don't have toning either. If stored in the right kind of album for years in the right environment, it could do that naturally. But it could also be the result of a cleaning and retoning. I can't tell if it has been cleaned just from the provided photos though.

Just my thoughts on the issue. Nice rare coin in any case!

~Tom