• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

2015 Carson City private mint ?

20 posts in this topic

If they state "United States of America" and have a dollar denomination on them, then they qualify as counterfeit coins. This applies to any coin-like item that has those two characteristics.

"United States of America" is the official title of this country and the designation of issuance authority and backing for the currency.

A dollar denomination, written or in other characters such as $5, it a claim that the item has a legal tender value of the denomination and that it is official money of the "United States of America."

A third characteristic, but not needed for ordinary conviction of a counterfeiter, it that the coin be similar in general appearance to real US coin: a circular disc.

Makers of blank slugs are convicted under this "likeness or similitude" phrase in conjunction with use to defraud coin operated devices.

PS: the problem for modern prosecutors is that the mass of fake coins issued or distributed by any one organization is small compared to the time and resources required to fulfill prosecution.

NGA, PCGS and ANACS set their own rules as to what the put in plastic. If their primary role is authentication then it is contradictory to "authenticate a fake."

and if my memory serves me correctly these were struck at the carson city mint in nevada!!

No. Very much no.

The Carson City mint closed in 1893.

These were struck at the Carson City Mint Museum.

The mint had authority to strike coinage. The museum strikes fantasy pieces.

RWB's interpretation of the federal anti-counterfeiting statutes is the same as mine. I would call these counterfeits. As for so called "fantasy" coins, these are also counterfeits in my opinion. IMHO, the TPGS have no business slabbing this sort of stuff while holding themselves out as a grading and authentication company. If they insist, then the word "copy" or "not genuine" or "counterfeit" should appear on the label to avoid confusion.

i got an e mail about these coins a month ago from moderncoinmart

anyone with any sense can see they are not genuine original coins and might have been struck at the original carson city mint, mint museum etc long closed

slabbed ........................................................

and if my memory serves me correctly these were struck at the carson city mint in nevada!!

No. Very much no.

yes very much yes..............................

a question of semantics

So if I run a temporary mint museum at the Fogo de Chão in downtown Philadelphia and strike Morgan dollar lookalike medallions, will they have been made at the mint?

OK they aren't an exact copy of a CC Morgan dollar because they say Commemorative instead of ONE DOLLAR.

Would you agree they are SIMILAR in design to a CC Morgan dollar?

Whoever, within the United States, makes or brings therein from any foreign country, or possesses with intent to sell, give away, or in any other manner uses the same, except under authority of the Secretary of the Treasury or other proper officer of the United States, any token, disk, or device in the likeness or similitude as to design, color, or the inscription thereon of any of the coins of the United States or of any foreign country issued as money, either under the authority of the United States or under the authority of any foreign government shall be fined under this title.

"Would you agree they are SIMILAR in design to a CC Morgan dollar?"

Is it similar to a CC Morgan? Yes. Is it similar to a CC Morgan dollar? No. Without a denomination it is no different than a medal, which in many cases also displays the words United States of America in the design. I believe the use of designs from commemorative coinage have also been used in the designs of medals.

It is in no way legal tender or an attempt to simulate legal tender without a denomination - at least, in my opinion.

No. Very much no.

a question of semantics

So if I run a temporary mint museum at the Fogo de Chão in downtown Philadelphia and strike Morgan dollar lookalike medallions, will they have been made at the mint?

these lookalike medallions WERE struck at the former old carson city mint in nevada a former united states mint which is quite different from striking morgan tokens at fogo de chao in downtown philly that has no history or ever striking a morgon dollar

sort of comparing apples to oranges

and orginally all i posted was that these were struck at the former carson city mint there is no need (and this is the second time you have made a big deal out of something) again no need to nit pick or be mean spirited

if you have a personal bone to pick with me why dont you pm me and tell me what i have done in the past to you??

so we can resolve this??

it might surprise you but i do know the difference that morgan dollar coins were never struck at fogo de chao as it never was a federal mint

all i did was post a friendly post on this topic

and just want to participate in friendly board discussions

No. Very much no.

a question of semantics

these lookalike medallions WERE struck at the former old carson city mint in nevada a former united states mint which is quite different from striking morgan tokens at fogo de chao in downtown philly that has no history or ever striking a morgon dollar

and orginally all i posted was that these were struck at the former carson city mint there is no need (and this is the second time you have made a big deal out of something) again no need to nit pick or be mean spirited

if you have a personal bone to pick with me why dont you pm me and tell me what i have done in the past to you??

so we can resolve this??

it might surprise you but i do know the difference that morgan dollar coins were never struck at fogo de chao as it never was a federal mint

False. Fogo de Chão is at the location of the 2nd Mint building, which is where Morgan dollars were first minted. It is no longer a mint, much as the CC Museum is no longer a mint, rather simply at the site of a former mint.

Not trying to be hostile. :)

No. Very much no.

a question of semantics

so we can resolve this??

False. Fogo de Chão is at the location of the 2nd Mint building, which is where Morgan dollars were first minted. It is no longer a mint, much as the CC Museum is no longer a mint, rather simply at the site of a former mint.

Not trying to be hostile. :)

sure you are .............................................

not correct

semantics again

no morgan dollars were struck at the restaurant maybe at the building long ago a clever play on words and twisting my meaning and the carson city mint building is still standing as a tribute to the cc mint and looks about the same; it might not be a current mint but people still refer to that and most everyone knows ( reasonably knowledgable) collectors who collect coins that the cc mint building doesnot currently strike coins but many still call it the carson city mint and it is not a totally refurbished building that is now a restaurant.