• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

so coin.fused please help

11 posts in this topic

Im new to the coin collecting world... I thought I was doing pretty good and picking it up fairly quick, until now. I have a 2005P 5c buffalo reverse that I was trying to add to my collection well there were things I had never seen mentioned on there like sms, cameo, and cover. This nickel is a really weird almost tie-dyed gold and purplish color so I'm not sure what to pick

In 2005, coins issued in Mint Sets had a special satin finish and were called SMS (Special Mint Set) coins. Proof coins have mirrored surfaces and frosty design elements, an effect known as Cameo contrast. Finally, the Mint issued First Day (of mintage) Covers for many of the new designs put out since 1999, such as State Quarters and Bison Nickels.

Is your coin painted or colorized? If so, it is none of the above, and it has post-mint damage.

Is your coin painted or colorized? If so, it is none of the above, and it has post-mint damage.

The colorized thing is a gimmick that some private firms and even some government mints have developed to sell coins, often to inexperienced collectors. When it is done by an official mint, it's part of the process and therefore acceptable to collectors to a degree.

When it is done by a private concern, it's not of interest to serious collectors and can be viewed as damage if the paint or whatever has gotten into the surfaces of the coin. This also applies to coins that have been plated with gold or platinum. Some of the barkers on cable TV have pushed plated sets of State Quarters in the past. Most collectors view these items as "junk." They have no collector value, and if a coin that had been treated as such had a numismatic value before it was plated, much of that value would be lost after it was plated.

It doesn't look like it has been painted on... It's almost as if the metal itself is tie-died

I've seen this on Ebay and wondered about it. Is that considered fake toning? What do they do, put these coins in an oven and bake them until they turn pretty colors? Example here: http://www.ebay.com/itm/1890-BU-Morgan-Silver-Dollar-Rainbow-Color-Toned-It-Is-In-Great-Condition-O-22-/281914205348?hash=item41a36564a4:g:TwQAAOSwf-VWaFro

The 2005 Westward Journey Nickel Series mint package. Has uncirculated coins which look to be SMS and the proofs. They are toned by now in some way from the paper in the holder. Mine are toning blue.