• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

The Carolinas

26 posts in this topic

Just wanted to let everyone know that I'm safe and dry here in Charleston. If there is anyone else in the Carolinas, I hope you've managed to stay safe!

There's been a significant amount of flooding, roads and bridges washing away and such. But the rain has stopped and the water is starting to go down. The pond in my backyard got pretty close to my house, but luckily I'm on high ground and it has started to go down.

Anyone else get flooded this weekend?

I only learned of the flooding in SC yesterday, and my first thought was of you, Jason. Well, not really! I was hoping your collections were safe.

Chris :devil:

Jason,

If your coins are in a safe deposit box make sure the vault is on high ground.

During the epic "500 year" flood in the Atlanta area in September 2009 the water in the vault where I thought my coins were "safe" was over three feet deep. It cane within three or four inches from the bottom of my box. Needless to say the coins have since been moved to higher ground.

Stay safe and keep dry.

Too bad we can't "transport" that water here to CA. We'd fix our drought and you'd alleviate your floods.

Needless to say the coins have since been moved to higher ground.

Actually, that's a good point. It turns out my SDB is on the BOTTOM row. Although, we are in a drought El Nino is coming so....maybe a time for a change? hm

jom

I am very happy to hear that you are okay Jason. I have heard that you guys are not totally out of the woods yet. Best of luck over the reast of the week!

Well Jason Poe---I'm glad that you are OK. Thought about you more than once over this past weekend. Finally this afternoon I see your post---so, you beat me to the PM that I had planned on sending. I had just commented to my wife on our way home that I was worried that you might have been affected.

Anyway, glad that you are high and DRY. Bob

Too bad we can't "transport" that water here to CA. We'd fix our drought and you'd alleviate your floods.

Maybe instead of building oil pipelines north and south, we should build water pipelines east and west. Would provide the same jobs (more because the pipelines would be longer), solve flooding problems, provide water where it is needed, and the environmentalists wouldn't object. If the pipeline springs a leak I seriously doubt they would complain too much over a water spill. :D

Maybe instead of building oil pipelines north and south, we should build water pipelines east and west. Would provide the same jobs (more because the pipelines would be longer), solve flooding problems, provide water where it is needed, and the environmentalists wouldn't object. If the pipeline springs a leak I seriously doubt they would complain too much over a water spill. :D

What happens if a leak causes minor flooding onto protected land and kills a few endangered species... :devil:

Glad to hear you're safe Jason.

I'd make some political comments here, but it would serve no purpose to solve the wide-sweeping climate problems that are already a reality for folks on both coasts.

Best, Brandon

So long as there are ignorant politicians and ideologues who fail to accept reality, folks in coastal areas will increasingly suffer from this kind of thing. The harsh reality of nature is that she does not recognize human failures. A lesson that has been presented repeatedly over the centuries, yet never fully accepted, is that if you build in a flood plain the structure will be destroyed. The hurricane Katrina hits N.O. - and the local government allows people to rebuild in flood areas or in places that are below sea level.

The South Carolina experience tells us to re-examine our assumptions and then act in convert with nature, not in opposition to her.

...ignorant politicians...

A bit of a redundant tautology. :grin:

Don't you love the ones who say "leave science to the scientists" and then they go on to legislate based on their pre-kindergarten understanding of science. Makes a whole lot of sense. :screwy:

So long as there are ignorant politicians and ideologues who fail to accept reality, folks in coastal areas will increasingly suffer from this kind of thing. The harsh reality of nature is that she does not recognize human failures. A lesson that has been presented repeatedly over the centuries, yet never fully accepted, is that if you build in a flood plain the structure will be destroyed. The hurricane Katrina hits N.O. - and the local government allows people to rebuild in flood areas or in places that are below sea level.

The South Carolina experience tells us to re-examine our assumptions and then act in convert with nature, not in opposition to her.

While I'm all for shoving it up ignorant people's arses, in this case the politicians aren't to blame. The coastal areas were affected, sure, and we can blame their ineptitude for some of the poor roads.

However, the fact remains that this was a once-in-a-thousand-year flood. No amount of planning, engineering, management, or foresight could account for this type of event. The worst of the flooding was in the center of the state - 2 hours inland, and far away from any flood plains. No amount of infrastructure is meant to handle 24 inches of rain in 2 days.

The last time we had floods this bad, some guy built an ark and the animals loaded 2 by 2.

While I'm all for shoving it up ignorant people's arses, in this case the politicians aren't to blame. The coastal areas were affected, sure, and we can blame their ineptitude for some of the poor roads.

However, the fact remains that this was a once-in-a-thousand-year flood. No amount of planning, engineering, management, or foresight could account for this type of event. The worst of the flooding was in the center of the state - 2 hours inland, and far away from any flood plains. No amount of infrastructure is meant to handle 24 inches of rain in 2 days.

The last time we had floods this bad, some guy built an ark and the animals loaded 2 by 2.

Well, considering weather records have been kept reliably since about the 1890s, not sure how you can say that. And, when we realize these "once in a 1000 year" floods start occurring every 5-10 years, you'll have to stop calling them that. Surely you're not one of those people south of the Mason-Dixon line who believes the earth is 5000 years old? lol;)

Nonetheless, I'm glad you're safe, and the worst of it has hopefully passed.

Well, considering weather records have been kept reliably since about the 1890s, not sure how you can say that. And, when we realize these "once in a 1000 year" floods start occurring every 5-10 years, you'll have to stop calling them that. Surely you're not one of those people south of the Mason-Dixon line who believes the earth is 5000 years old? lol;)

\

Actually about 6000 years old, not 5000.

\

Actually about 6000 years old, not 5000.

What's a thousands years or so among friends, eh? lol

jom

I certainly don't want to get into a religion debate... but yeah, I am definitely a conservative Christian fundamentalist, creationism and all. The actual number of years isn't important - and it certainly isn't just Southern folk who believe it. I really don't appreciate you laughing at my beliefs, as funny as they may seem to some. I don't make fun of your beliefs, as much as we may strongly disagree on some things.

And it wasn't me calling it a thousand year flood - our governor, Nikki Haley, was. Not sure where she got that info from.

And it wasn't me calling it a thousand year flood - our governor, Nikki Haley, was. Not sure where she got that info from.

She obviously made it up. That's what politicians do. She's also an Elephant Party member, so she's likely a climate change denier and the truth would have been too painful for her constituents.

Anyway, I'm done in this thread, and I'll just state again -- I'm glad you're safe, and I hope this passes quickly and without more damage.

She obviously made it up. That's what politicians do. She's also an Elephant Party member, so she's likely a climate change denier and the truth would have been too painful for her constituents.

Anyway, I'm done in this thread, and I'll just state again -- I'm glad you're safe, and I hope this passes quickly and without more damage.

Actually...

The extreme flooding in South Carolina led many, including state Gov. Nikki Haley, to invoke the "1,000-year" flood terminology. It's not political rhetoric or apocalyptic hyperbole. It's actually the preferred term used by climate scientists to describe the math behind the tragic events that are still unfolding in the Palmetto State.

http://www.cnbc.com/2015/10/05/1000-year-flood-hyperbole-or-hard-science.html

I usually prefer primary sources, but since this is from CNBC (the sister station of MSNBC and a corporation belonging to NBC Universal) I thought it would be okay. From what I understand, the left clings to these stations like the far right religious conservative groups cling to the Bible. :devil:

I'm just having fun...

Actually...

The extreme flooding in South Carolina led many, including state Gov. Nikki Haley, to invoke the "1,000-year" flood terminology. It's not political rhetoric or apocalyptic hyperbole. It's actually the preferred term used by climate scientists to describe the math behind the tragic events that are still unfolding in the Palmetto State.

http://www.cnbc.com/2015/10/05/1000-year-flood-hyperbole-or-hard-science.html

I usually prefer primary sources, but since this is from CNBC (the sister station of MSNBC and a corporation belonging to NBC Universal) I thought it would be okay. From what I understand, the left clings to these stations like the far right religious conservative groups cling to the Bible. :devil:

Yes, and if you actually read the MATH on the linked page, it has nothing to do with it happening every 1000 years. It's the media's way of turning a memory-less Poisson process annual probability into something the supposed "ignorant" general public can understand. A "1,000-year flood" can occur 2 times in one year. I guess politicians just eat that stuff up, and regurgitate it to sound smart.

Thanks for the link Kenny.

I guess politicians just eat that stuff up, and regurgitate it to sound smart.

I think that is fair since I usually regurgitate whenever I hear a politician speak.

jom

Since a 1000 year flood is defined as a flood that has a 0.1% chance of occurring any given year, the expectation that it occurs over any given period of time is reaches 50% when that period is 692 years. During a 1000 year period, the expectation is 72%.

Of course, as there are many major climate variations over time windows that large over the earth's history, it starts becoming a comparison of apples with mediæval oranges to predict weather events over 1000 years.