• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

PVC Damage

6 posts in this topic

I recently submitted some silver coins for grading and received an email suggesting one of my coins be submitted to NCS for treatment of PVC damage. I know what PVC damage is but have never had this problem before. After treatment will they grade the coin? and will it be graded as cleaned? Any help or advise is appreciated. Thanks

If PVC residue has eaten into the surface of the coin, it will probably not be gradable. I'm guessing this is what has happened, as PVC itself is not damage. That does not mean that the PVC doesn't need to be removed to prevent further damage.

If it is just PVC residue that has not damaged the coin, removal will likely result in a gradable coin.

This is all theoretical, without seeing the coin, of course.

Correct me if I am wrong but there are all types of polyvinyl chloride or other unwanted plastic haze or other residue on various coins, some that get into straight holders. Damage is actual and permanent, not just surface residue; presumably NCS made a determination that it could probably be removed and then would hopefully straight grade, though no promises there. In the future I will probably do an acetone dip on most all coins before submission as the extra time and minimum $25 fees for removal do not need to happen.

If they reached out to you and told you one of your coins could use NCS, then that means someone looked at the coin, determined that it has PVC residue AND THAT ONCE THE PVC IS removed, it will be a problem-free coin. So that means, it will not grade now as it stands, it will be a details coin "PVC residue". However, if you have them conserve it, it will be put in a problem-free holder and assigned a grade. .. Do it!