• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Opinions on a NFLD 1¢ - Undergraded or Correct

10 posts in this topic

Some who may know me know my thing is the Newfoundland series. I have over 300 graded examples from NGC and some from PCGS. For the most part NGC gets it right most of the time. A little too tough on the details grades IMHO, but the grades are very close. This is the first time I think they really missed on the grade.

Normally I would not send in a coin below an F-12 or in the FINE range but this particular coin has been eluding me for many years (The narrow 0 variety) and I wanted to fill the slot in my registry. In my opinion the coin grades in the MID VG range. VG-8 would be fair maybe VG-10 on a good day but certainly no more and here is why I say that. The rims are not flat, the denticles are visible, the devices are very legible and readable on both the obverse and the reverse. The obverse high points are the hair especially the bun are clear and not flattened to a silhouette. On this coin the hair details are still visible and the bun is clearly defined and the ribbons are even somewhat sharp. The reverse high points are the crown which is clearly defined and not worn flat, all the devices are clear and readable. The coin is in no way worn flat and is not just a silhouette of a strike. That is how I come up with a mid range VG.

NGC graded this coin a G-6, and I would like some opinions before I take the time to send it back for a re-evaluation. Do you think they got it right?

157734.jpg.6178578701a376652da0ba659c89ecf1.jpg

157735.jpg.30ee2f59d8d69553d15d3132ab408af0.jpg

I think G-6 is pretty fair. However, seeing the pic blown up may be an issue because it makes the field scrapes and dings stand out more to me than they would in the hand. The reverse is a little more detracting due to the worn rim spot and general flatness of everything. Nothing against the piece, though, glad you found one for your set.

Thanks so much for the opinions, it is appreciated!

I guess I'll just save my money and add it to the set which by the way completes the 1¢ early Newfoundland coppers. I will be actively looking for an upgrade. This particular variety, the narrow 0 is a tough one to find in better grades. It only took me five or six years to find this one. It's what makes Newfoundland interesting and a challenge. Just so little stock to pick from. Again thanks for the opinions

Have a great day

Jim

I think I agree on NOT resubmitting. With that said the price differential between a Good and a Very Good can be $60-$90 or more. Personal opinion: VG, but we Americans are considered over-graders.

Haxby says:

G-4 Good--The portrait is little more than a silhouette. The braid, wreath, and knot are worn smooth, as are facial features except for the deepest recesses of the eye and ear.

VG-8 Very Good--Only the deepest lines divide the braid and provide details to the know. About half the leaves and berries are distinct, though they lack detail. Little distinction remains between the cheek, upper lip, and nose.

A Guide Book of Canadian Coins and Tokens, 1st Edition 2012, Whitman Publishing,page 34.

I'd say with the worn rim spot on the reverse, G-6 is fair. If the rim was full on both sides, I'd say VG-8 would be possible. If I had to guess, NGC gave it the G-6 because of that area of rim wear. If I were one of the graders, that's the call I would have made. I'd just keep it in the holder and enjoy acquiring a coin that has long been eluding you for a long time. If an upgrade shows up, go for it, but your coin is nice. Enjoy it!

~Tom

Some who may know me know my thing is the Newfoundland series. I have over 300 graded examples from NGC and some from PCGS. For the most part NGC gets it right most of the time. A little too tough on the details grades IMHO, but the grades are very close. This is the first time I think they really missed on the grade.

Normally I would not send in a coin below an F-12 or in the FINE range but this particular coin has been eluding me for many years (The narrow 0 variety) and I wanted to fill the slot in my registry. In my opinion the coin grades in the MID VG range. VG-8 would be fair maybe VG-10 on a good day but certainly no more and here is why I say that. The rims are not flat, the denticles are visible, the devices are very legible and readable on both the obverse and the reverse. The obverse high points are the hair especially the bun are clear and not flattened to a silhouette. On this coin the hair details are still visible and the bun is clearly defined and the ribbons are even somewhat sharp. The reverse high points are the crown which is clearly defined and not worn flat, all the devices are clear and readable. The coin is in no way worn flat and is not just a silhouette of a strike. That is how I come up with a mid range VG.

NGC graded this coin a G-6, and I would like some opinions before I take the time to send it back for a re-evaluation. Do you think they got it right?

I think the coin is VG10 with mild corrosion on the reverse. Perhaps they silently netted this piece to G6 as a result. It is clearly nicer than Good, in terms of detail, and the rims are razor sharp in places.