• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

NGC Canteen Bar Token

5 posts in this topic

I just ran across a NGC slabbed Canteen Bar token:

-In-Trade-MS64-NGC-/201426445199'>NGC slabbed Canteen Bar token

I'm a fan of these and was excited to see one with lots of color. However, upon looking closer, I noticed that the piece is a "restrike" but not noted on the insert. You can tell the restrike easily from the cent symbol on the reverse as listed on page 13 of Ronald J. Benice's Alaska & Yukon Tokens.

Does NGC normally note restrikes for these?

Also, does anyone know how Carl Durand and Nola Campbell are related to these pieces?

The Native Copper die reappeared sometime in the late 1960's or early 1970's around the time when the Puget Sound Stamp Works of Seattle dispersed much of their inventory. A long time employee of the company who was also a long time token collector helped a number of tokens and dies make it to the private market, some getting into the wrong hands with a number of restrikes of Western tokens originally produced at PSSW suddenly appearing.

I do not know for sure if the Native Copper die was one of these or not. My suspicions make me think that it was, otherwise why prepare a close copy of the denominated die other than to deceive? On the other hand, the strike is strong which differentiates it from the other mentioned restrikes and the other known later use of the die might indicate that someone was just fooling around and not trying to deceive.

The other late use of the Native Copper die is on a personal store card of Clark Cooney listed as a fantasy saloon token by Charles Kappen in his catalog of California trade tokens (K-57) which also gives a 1971 date of issue. The obverse of the fantasy reads: THE VIRGINIA SALOON / ONE DRINK / CLARK COONEY / PROP. / 736-5084 / SUNNYVALE, CALIF. One of the Bay Area collectors may be able to add to the story as there were several area businesses still able to produce a quality strike in 1971. An image of the personal token can be found on tokencatalog.com with a simple search of any of the key words. I have an example of both later Native Copper tokens buried around here somewhere -- several Alaska tokens of the original merchants that used the Native Copper die can be obtained in the $35 - $75 range.

Carl Durand and Nola Campbell were proprietors of the Canteen Bar at various times of its existence. (And yes, NGC most probably did not know that the Canteen Bar was restruck -- they remind me of Pedro Cerrano; they stroke the fastball just fine but they sometimes flail at the curve -- they could really use Joboo as a consultant...)

The Native Copper die reappeared sometime in the late 1960's or early 1970's around the time when the Puget Sound Stamp Works of Seattle dispersed much of their inventory. A long time employee of the company who was also a long time token collector helped a number of tokens and dies make it to the private market, some getting into the wrong hands with a number of restrikes of Western tokens originally produced at PSSW suddenly appearing.

I do not know for sure if the Native Copper die was one of these or not. My suspicions make me think that it was, otherwise why prepare a close copy of the denominated die other than to deceive? On the other hand, the strike is strong which differentiates it from the other mentioned restrikes and the other known later use of the die might indicate that someone was just fooling around and not trying to deceive.

The other late use of the Native Copper die is on a personal store card of Clark Cooney listed as a fantasy saloon token by Charles Kappen in his catalog of California trade tokens (K-57) which also gives a 1971 date of issue. The obverse of the fantasy reads: THE VIRGINIA SALOON / ONE DRINK / CLARK COONEY / PROP. / 736-5084 / SUNNYVALE, CALIF. One of the Bay Area collectors may be able to add to the story as there were several area businesses still able to produce a quality strike in 1971. An image of the personal token can be found on tokencatalog.com with a simple search of any of the key words. I have an example of both later Native Copper tokens buried around here somewhere -- several Alaska tokens of the original merchants that used the Native Copper die can be obtained in the $35 - $75 range.

Carl Durand and Nola Campbell were proprietors of the Canteen Bar at various times of its existence. (And yes, NGC most probably did not know that the Canteen Bar was restruck -- they remind me of Pedro Cerrano; they stroke the fastball just fine but they sometimes flail at the curve -- they could really use Joboo as a consultant...)

That's great history tokenpro. Very interesting to know there's a Clark Cooney restrike out there as well.