• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Have any of you seen colors like these?

27 posts in this topic

I was looking through toned coin registry sets and I saw this coin. What could have caused these colors?

https://coins.www.collectors-society.com/wcm/CoinView.aspx?sc=102469

That's one of my favorite Frankies. It's awesome that AB owns it.

Who is Aurea Borealis? I know from Latin it means Northern Lights, but is it a coin dealer, a collector...?

At first I dismissed the end of the roll toning, because of how erratic it was..

But on second thought when the paper on the end of the roll is folded over, you can make out some those lines where the paper was "folded over" in the toning.

And if this is the case, the "color" could of been from the paper. Sulfur is used in the production of paper, to break down wood fibers and the bleaching of paper.

Sulfur causes toning, sometimes attractive, sometimes not.

That coin is one of the most amazingly toned Franklins (or any denomination) in existence. Aurora Borealis is a collector and he has some of the outstanding toned coins you will ever see. Unfortunately for me, I don't think he's been known to sell anything.

Your coin looks like it came from a different kind of roll - one with the ends crimped around in s circle.

That is a coin that would claim to be EOR (end of roll) toning, but I am skeptical. Has anyone ever opened a roll, or seen a roll opened, that produced a coin looking anything like that?

There are all sorts of coins with colors and/or color patterns that most people have never seen. And while it's wise to take pause and question them, initially, it's not necessarily a reason to dismiss them.

I was looking through toned coin registry sets and I saw this coin. What could have caused these colors?

https://coins.www.collectors-society.com/wcm/CoinView.aspx?sc=102469

That's one of my favorite Frankies. It's awesome that AB owns it.

Who is Aurea Borealis? I know from Latin it means Northern Lights, but is it a coin dealer, a collector...?

Aurora Borealis is a collector who posts frequently ATS.

That is a coin that would claim to be EOR (end of roll) toning, but I am skeptical. Has anyone ever opened a roll, or seen a roll opened, that produced a coin looking anything like that?

I'm going to start looking!

Glad to hear that he is a collector. Slightly disappointed he doesn't sell. Thank you all for your insight, it certainly is a beauty.

Theoretically it was caused by tissue paper.

AB has some gorgeous coins. As mentioned he posts ATS. He has a killer collection of toned Morgans and toned IHC's.

End roll toning. .. I literally just left a coin shop and they had a few Morgans that were similar. None were as vibrant or wild as that the franklin, but the color patterns were similar or same imo.

DW- the pic of your EOR toned Franklin is caused by a roll that was open to the air except for where the rolled paper covered the coin near the edges. The coin you first asked about is toned by a roll, but not the bank rolls that are open on both ends. .. I believe it was a roll that folded shut at the end the coin was on.

I believe that coin is absolutely real, or "natural" and I wish I had some of whatever that paper roll was made out of...

I don't think it was end roll toning at all. I think it's tissue toning where the reverse of the coin was protected by a stack of additional Franklins. Probably in a drawer or safe for an extended period of time.

It's beautiful, and no doubt the coin cost thousands to acquire.

AB and Sunnywood are the resident authorities ATS on these tarnished beauties.

Many roll-end toners will develop the magenta and green hues seen here, but not in this quantity or toning pattern, and not without any darker colors mixed in. I am also leery about accepting this coin as natural, though it is possible.