• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Whittling Down

7 posts in this topic

One Coin At A Time

I ordered a couple of commemorative halves and a Washington Quarter for my collection this week.

I think there is something psychological about looking at your collection here and seeing gaps in years close up as you add coins.

As I read magazines, I look at coins that are on the pie in the sky wish list and I wonder if I were to have the money to buy anything I wanted, when I wanted, would collecting be as much fun? What do you think? As much fun as it would be to win the lottery and be able to complete collections at will, would it be as much fun?

Happy collecting,

Marcus

See more journals by Texan's Coins

I think for me the answer would be yes. I don't take much joy in the hunt. I much prefer the presentation... meaning, taking the photos, putting together a nice set, researching and describing each coin, etc. So having more of them, or more rare ones, wouldn't lessen the fun for me, if anything those are the coins others would want to see and read about, so it would actually increase the fun for me.

A coin from the Pie in the Sky list sounds great!!

To have more money to invest in rarer coins would

surely still make collecting fun. Most of us struggle

trying to complete a series set and never see all the

empty slots filled. Winning a lottery would give you

plenty of spending ability but you would then find

yourself building an impossible to complete set.

Some top grade key coins rarely come up for sale and the

best sets listed still have empty slots in them.

Many big collectors search for years just chasing

the chance to own a certain coin.

It's all fun weather you are a low expense collector

or a high expense collector. :)

Rick

I am already doing a set or 2 of impossible to complete sets. Sets of Liberty Half Eagles and Liberty Quarter Eagles, so a Lottery win would be quite helpful in completing them further. Pretty much all the lesser expensive dates are already in my set.

The dollar amount isn't key for me. It's all fun - whether building a high quality date & mint set, super high grade type set, "collector grade" varieties, or whatever. I could find fun in this hobby at any dollar level. That said, one can always fantasize about the huge windfall. For me, that unique 1870-S half dime is currently on the market...