• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

1893 Isabella Commemorative Quarter Dollar

22 posts in this topic

Curious as to what you might think this coin deserves. The color is close to the way it looks under my daylight 6500k lamps and the coin has a generous amount of luster. No overly distracting marks that I can see (possibly hidden by the toning).

I will also add that the coin is in a problem free graded holder so some of the streaks you may see could very well be from the slab. I have not taken the time to buff the plastic out as of yet.

1893_Issabella_Quarter_Dollar_Silver_Commemorative.jpg

The pictures are rather dark, which makes it hard to see. The toning is very attractive, but I can see a number of fine tickmarks under the toning, especially on the reverse. I would say this is probably a 65, with a shot at 64.

I think that the picture has been worked on a little bit to make the toning darker. You can do that with the "shadows" button on my software.

I see this coin grading in the MS-64 to 65 range. I don't see it comming in at MS-66 because there are too many little tick marks especially in the reverse field. The darkness of the photo provides a way to tamp down tick marks.

1893_Issabella_Quarter_Dollar_Silver_Commemorative.jpg

Here are shots of nearly the full slab and I used "Auto" white balance this time instead of an 18% grey card as I usually do. I also used an aperture of about f/11 in the first photos to get better clarity on depth of field. The bottom ones are just set on the lowest aperture of f/5.6

The color is tricky on this one. In hand the coin exhibits a more golden color under direct light in the center area as in the previous photos which I was trying to match the best I could. For these full distant shots I just snapped away but had to use landscape scene mode in order to get the golden color you see in hand to be represented.

But the biggest surprise (to me) is the grade. I am always looking for the older ANACS small white slabs with coins I feel are under graded and I think I scored on this one. I personally would give it a MS64 with a possible shot at either a +, *, or a MS65. I would consider this coin to be far under graded or, at the very least, grading standards have changed over time to be more advantageous to the submitter.

Regardless, thanks for all the comments and opinions.

Obverse_Full_Smaller.jpg

Reverse_Full_Smaller.jpg

I am not planning on cracking this one out nor sending it into any of the TPG's. I don't think that it needs it. The coin, IMO, speaks louder than any label.

I don't collect as much as I use to but I still enjoy the thrill of the chase. :grin:

These small old ANACS holders are probably on their way to extinction with all the crack outs that takes place. I am guilty of it as well but mainly because the holder was badly scratched up. This holder is relatively clean with only a few scratches and no major scuffs.

I am not planning on cracking this one out nor sending it into any of the TPG's. I don't think that it needs it. The coin, IMO, speaks louder than any label.

I don't collect as much as I use to but I still enjoy the thrill of the chase. :grin:

These small old ANACS holders are probably on their way to extinction with all the crack outs that takes place. I am guilty of it as well but mainly because the holder was badly scratched up. This holder is relatively clean with only a few scratches and no major scuffs.

I have a few coins in small, old ANACS holders. These are my favorite holders. The size, in my opinion, is perfect.

I will eventually crack them out, but I am in no hurry to do so.

I will say that I've already seen the grade. My first thoughts on seeing the coin was that it was lightly cleaned and retoned. When you said it was in a problem free slab I thought to myself ok so it got net graded to a 63. I'm sticking to the net grade opinion as to why it got the 62. Sorry to be the harsh one here.

No need to apologize at all. There is absolutely no way for me to make that determination with the coin inside the slab, so I can't argue against that possibility.

I have to say I have great interest, and was without luck, Googl'n "setting the cob" as I do not recall ever hearing that phrase. lol

Do tell .... hm

I think the slab dates to about 2003 to 2004 time frame. It is what it is. (shrug)

I don't know how I missed this thread. I like the look of the coin very much, and MS62 does seem overly conservative. I would be sure to loupe this very carefully to make sure that it wasn't silently net graded for some reason as has been alluded to by others. Regardless, it is a beautiful piece.

"Setting the cob"? I read that and thought it was an RWB quote and then I realized it was me lol. That's what I get for replying on my phone and not reading before posting!

Beautiful coin Bill!

As others have already stated, I think ANACS was a tad conservative on the grade. I'm basing that on your pictures.

I'd love to have that Isabelle in my collection.

Thanks Joe.

I did as Kenny had suggested and looked at it a few times through the slab with a 45X loupe and the largest possible problem area that is noticeable is just right above her left shoulder. You can see it a little better in the slab photos then on the larger images I took. That was because of lighting and not necessarily intentional.

Here are the second set of photos(slab photos) cropped and reduced to 1024 x 768 from the original -

Sorry for the large size.

Possibly it was net graded at the time of grading and placing it in the holder and time has done well by masking any problem that was much more pronounced at the time. I am by no means familiar with these commemorative pieces but comparing with a great many Heritage photos of problem free higher grade examples, I don't immediately see anything that says MS62 material.

Dipped at one time and retoned - probably given the age of the coin. Some like myself would say "absolutely and without a doubt" that a coin this old has been dipped at one time or another. However the toning does seem to be consistent with a great many high grade examples. So I think "bizarre toning" would not fit on this one.

2nd_try_obverse.jpg

2nd_try_reverse.jpg

Both sides have cartwheel luster with the reverse having a higher level which I think is due to greater toning on the obverse that the reverse.

What I find interesting is the the ANACS triangles on the reverse of the slab are green colored (to my eyes) however - no matter what camera I snap a shot of the holder with, the triangles are reddish color. Is that normal and engineered that way?

I love this coin! I really don't get the 62 grade, your large images do not show any distracting marks (even the ones you mentioned).

It's a "70" in my book, such a beautiful coin! (thumbs u