• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Best way to sell this coin WALKER

12 posts in this topic

Best chance of getting into a slab: PCGS, they don't seem to mind coins that have Questionable Color as much. I'm assume that's part of what you were asking there.

Best combo of certification for the best money: PCGS with CAC. Why? Because the kool aid drinkers will swallow this baby up if it gets into the blue plastic with the green bean. No offense to our hosts in any way, and no offense to our brethren ATS, that's just the way the world turns, as of today.

Really like the coin, it would be a real bummer if it came back AT, it looks NT to me but I'm not an expert. Hopefully one of them will comment. Put WHL in the title

I have no concerns with the color. In previous discussions on the form this coin could go anywhere from an AU 58 to an MS 64. If one company is more likely to grade mint State versus AU it may make more sense to go that route. For example if one company was AU 58 and the other was MS 62 would there be much of a monetary difference. If not I would just go with whoever would bring the best money should I get a better grade.

Best way to sell it is to send it to Great Collections. They can slab it at the TPG of your choice for Wayyyyyyy Cheaper than you can. They don't charge you shipping, handling fee, insurance etc. They can send it to CAC if you want as well. Customer Service cannot be beat in my opinion. Just mail it off to Ian at GreatCollections and be done with it.

Best way to sell it is to send it to Great Collections. They can slab it at the TPG of your choice for Wayyyyyyy Cheaper than you can. They don't charge you shipping, handling fee, insurance etc. They can send it to CAC if you want as well. Customer Service cannot be beat in my opinion. Just mail it off to Ian at GreatCollections and be done with it.

I am going to have GC send it in. Just not sure which service yet.

I think that the color is okay. The coin is a 1918-S, and it's been my experience (limited though it is) that the San Francisco Mint did a poor job of striking many Walkers from this era. My grade would be MS-62 because the obverse detail is so weak. Some might grade it higher because of a lack of marks, but the obverse to me is really flat. I would not pay premium money for it for that reason.

I don't think it matters whether you send it to PCGS or our host. I do think PCGS is more lenient on questionable color, although color on this coin is LIKELY OK. Without seeing it in hand I'd grade it anywhere from AU 58-MS 62. HUGE difference in price from AU 58-MS 64. $400 bucks for a nice AU versus $3000-4000 for a nice MS 64. I have seen 64s sell for as much as 6000!! But it isn't a 64. If it comes back 62 you could get anywhere from $950-1400 for it. Only about 220 know in MS 62 from both services. It has decent color and the market likes that. Good Luck.

The problem with having a company get the coin certified and then auction it is that if you get a bad grade or lower than others thought it may go, you may not get a second chance before it goes to auction. If you just have a dealer send it in on an early bird invoice with other coins, the $25 or so charged is not much in the potential sale value, and if you get an undergrade, you would have another shot or two.

The problem with having a company get the coin certified and then auction it is that if you get a bad grade or lower than others thought it may go, you may not get a second chance before it goes to auction. If you just have a dealer send it in on an early bird invoice with other coins, the $25 or so charged is not much in the potential sale value, and if you get an undergrade, you would have another shot or two.

I emailed Ian at great collections about this and you are correct. There is no option to have the coin certified again and you can not have the coin sent back. He said all I could do was buy it back under another account.

I have a few others to be certified also so I think I will just piggyback with someone.