• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

UPDATED w/ photos (8-17-15) 1922 Grant w/ Star

32 posts in this topic

UPDATE: The coin arrived very late! lol. But it finally arrived and I just took some photos and have posted them. I've looked at this under my glass and any lines on this coin are die polish lines. Everyone of them is clearly raised and it appears that this is pretty common for this Commemorative. Take a look and give me your thoughts. Thanks.

I have a Grant with Star heading my way and wanted to get some opinions on grade while I waited for it to arrive. Sorry these are the photos I have, but will take some of my own when it arrives. Thanks

N6wT5FcoToiR93iwTYtk_1922%20Grant%20with%20Star%20Commemorative%20-%20white.jpg

29463.jpg

The coin appears to be very high grade. I hesitate to use a term like "MS-65" for it because you can't come to conclusions about a coin like this from one pair of photos or even a group of photos. Personal examination is required.

These coins have unusual, roughed up not perfectly smooth fields. Grading these coins is not that easy, and storage marks from envelope storage can muddy the grading process further.

I am not trying to hijack your post, but for comparison sake, here is a piece that PCGS graded MS-64.

GrantwStarO.jpg

GrantwStarR.jpg

Based just on the images, I would guess MS66. That said, 1) images rarely tell the whole story and 2) based on populations, odds are strongly against that very scarce issue grading a 66.

Based just on the images, I would guess MS66. That said, 1) images rarely tell the whole story and 2) based on populations, odds are strongly against that very scarce issue grading a 66.

Thanks Mark for the input. How do the surfaces look to you from the photos provided? This commem is not in a NGC/PCGS holder. Thanks for any additional input.

A review of the population reports shows that NGC has graded 55 Grant With Star half dollars in MS-66 and 9 in MS-67. PCGS has graded 40 in MS-66 and 5 in MS-67. That works out to about 5% of the coins to submitted to NGC and 3.2% of the coins submitted to PCGS getting grades of MS-66 or 67.

In other words, the odds are low for getting one of the ultra high grades.

Thanks Mark for the input. How do the surfaces look to you from the photos provided? This commem is not in a NGC/PCGS holder. Thanks for any additional input.

The surfaces look quite nice or - and I'm not being a wise-guy - I wouldn't have said it looked like a 66 in the images. But if it's not in an NGC or PCGS holder and you're not a proficient grader, I wouldn't buy it. And I wouldn't make a decision based on our evaluation of on-line images.

The surfaces look quite nice or - and I'm not being a wise-guy - I wouldn't have said it looked like a 66 in the images. But if it's not in an NGC or PCGS holder and you're not a proficient grader, I wouldn't buy it. And I wouldn't make a decision based on our evaluation of on-line images.

Thanks Mark. I consider myself pretty proficient, but my business background lends itself to input from others. I like to not just double check, but alot of times triple check to reduce my risk.

Thanks again for your input, as it's one that I value on the forum.

I am not familiar with grading these. Is the flatness on the trees and beard common? Because to me, it looks AU. But, like I said, I'm not very familiar with these.

The coin is Mint State. I have to correct something. The Grant with Star that I posted is an MS-63+, not an MS-64. Here is Grant without that star that is graded MS-63, which I think is a little nicer.

GrantO.jpgGrantR.jpg

I don't see much luster in the OP's pics and I don't care for the toning. Other than that it looks crisp and clean. I hesitate to guess at the grade but I would call it a MS 64.

I don't see much luster in the OP's pics and I don't care for the toning. Other than that it looks crisp and clean. I hesitate to guess at the grade but I would call it a MS 64.

I should have it in this weekend. I will try to get my photos up by Sunday or Monday. You're right, hopefully the luster in better than the photos. I think it will be, but we will soon find out.

I should have it in this weekend. I will try to get my photos up by Sunday or Monday. You're right, hopefully the luster in better than the photos. I think it will be, but we will soon find out.

Good Luck. Your own pics will be interesting to see.

My first impression looking at the coin was 62-63, but looking at other grades I am guessing I was a little low should have went with 63-64

Now that you have the coin in hand, how does the luster look - is the cartwheel present and unbroken?

I would say that I'm happy with the luster. The toning is a bit dark so the luster isn't jumping off like a bright white coin, but it's very attractive in hand. It has a silky looking patina.

It cartwheels and is unbroken as well.

I still going to stick with what I posted earlier. The coin is great in color for me the only pause I get is the fields on the obverse. Looks like hairline scratches from the picture. I love the toning on Grant's forehead, looks like aging spots. really nice coin. (thumbs u

Funny, I like those spots as well and had the same thought. The photos don't do the coin justice really. It looks nicer in hand with it's silky skin and deep hues reflecting off. My lighting setup didn't capture all those subtle colors very well. I'm going to send it for a crossgrade to pcgs, so I'll probably go ahead and do a TrueView while I'm at it. I wish NGC would crossgrade other TPG's like pcgs does. It would be headed there instead if they did.