• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

The King of All Kings - My Stolen Prize: Solving the Case and How NGC Unkowlignly Helped posted by Siah

20 posts in this topic

• Member: Seasoned Veteran

The "king of all kings" I called it in my two year search to obtain and afford one. An NGC PF-63 "1903 US-PHIL Peso Proof" was stolen from my mailbox on 9/25/14, just three days after my birthday which I had finally obtained as a gift to myself and as the most difficult piece to-date in my US-PHIL collection. A month of excessive work on my behalf with the addition of a police investigation was soon to follow...

An NGC PF-63 "1903 US-PHIL Peso Proof" was originally stolen from my mailbox on 9/25/14, just three days after my birthday which I had finally obtained as a gift to myself and as the most difficult piece to-date in my US-PHIL collection. I'm a recent under-grad and having a large budget is far from the case.

A month of excessive work on my behalf with the addition of a police investigation was soon to follow. After failing to locate the coin, the authorities rendered the investigation "futile." Nevertheless, I would not take "no" for an answer, not on this piece. I had worked so hard to obtain this example, searched for so long, jumped in the air with excitement after winning the auction and spent too much money to just "let it go" as they told me.

With time and endless work, I eventually tracked it down myself to the collectibles shop the perpetrator sold the coin to. That's the end of the story you might ask? Far from it, actually. To make things more difficult, every coin shop I had spoken with in my search was very kind, helpful and stated they would call if it either turned up or if they heard anything. As time passed, I finally seemed to have found the pesos destination. I was in sheer shock, was this really it? Had I really found it? I thought it would be as easy as hopping in the car, taking a drive and picking it up... boy, was I wrong. After it seemed I had truly found it, the collectibles shop owner would not give it up without a fight. After proving the example was mine through endless documentation/receipts and the shop owner's mistake of not filing the proper paperwork when the item was sold, the police eventually seized the coin.

If the coin had not been certified by NGC, I never would have been able to prove it was mine. The detective assigned to the case even stated, "You're lucky you had this coin authenticated. If it hadn't been, there would have been little to no chance for us to prove it was really the coin that was stolen." (As a word of advise, when you're spending good money on a coin, always buy it certified. This is a perfect example of how beneficial it can be, among many other reasons such as authenticity. I thank NGC every day for certifying that coin.) I finally received the piece on 10/31/14, making this specimen that much more invaluable to my collection, while also being the last coin to complete my 1903 Proof Set.

What happened to the perpetrator, I suspect you might be wondering? He was never caught. Apparently, he had used a fake ID when selling the coin and the cameras were not active on the showroom floor. As mentioned in the prior, the shop owner didn't file the proper paperwork with this transaction... and that included not obtaining a fingerprint which is required by law in Colorado. However, the detective on the case said this was a stepping stone in advancing progress on the case towards a criminal ring that had been involved in breaking into mail-rooms stealing anything with a tracking number.

In the end, the detective thanked me for my tenacity and work, handed me the coin and I walked outta' that police station with the biggest grin I've probably ever had in my entire life. "A job well done," I thought. A tribute thank you is directed to NGC for their certification/encapsulation of coins and inadvertent assistance in helping me get back "the stolen prize: the king of all kings."

16778.jpg

See more journals by Siah

Nice work. It's just a shame the perp couldn't be caught. Please explain the Colorado law regarding the fingerprint. I've never heard that before.

Congratulations on getting your coin back. Tenacity does pay off!

As a fellow US/Philippines collector, I completely understand the joy of finding a great proof coin, and I can only imagine the agony of losing it the way you did.

On another note, I have a number of duplicates (including proofs) that I need to sell. Check my On the Auction Block Custom Set and PM me if any of them interest you.

Best of luck with your future acquisitions!

With some careful editing, rewriting, and good photos, your story would be of interest to major hobby publications....Just an opinion.

Great story!

That is such a beautiful coin!!

So glad that you got it back!!

As I've said so many times in the past----one should NEVER give up, as persistence pays off in the end. :thumbsup:

Very good. I'd rather be the luckiest than the best. And it only took a month or so to track it down. On the same note, it amazes me when dealers put their full business name---ABC Coins or XYZ Numismatics--with the return address on a package when they mail coins. Anyone along the line who sees the package knows there's a coin, maybe a rare and expensive one, inside. Dealers who don't use their heads literally beg for their coins to be stolen. Will you get a refund? Until you have a relationship with a dealer and know how they do things, always pay by credit card.

- Zebo: In Colorado at pawn and collectibles shops, the law states the following: "Colorado State Law for pawn trading: For you, it means you can’t do any business with a pawnbroker unless you have a government-issued picture ID (like a driver’s license) and you must give a fingerprint and have a photograph taken upon your first sale to the establishment." -- in my case, the shop owner neither got a fingerprint or took a photo of the person selling the coin.

- coin928: Thanks for the heads up, I'll definitely look at what you have available. Any MS 1903 US-PHIL coins, by chance? I'm definitely always looking to upgrade my 1903 proof set; it currently has a ranking of #4. However, I've been attempting to put together a matching-grade 1903 mint-set. I still need quite a few examples to complete the set. Thanks for your kind words!

- RWB: Thanks a bunch for the compliment. I had a fully edited version but for some reason it has not updated on the actual post. I'm not entirely sure why as I'm fairly new to the "journal" section. Does anyone know why after editing it would not have updated to the post? The one I'm seeing above is the original and I have edited several times since then.

- WalkerFan: Many thanks, it was definitely a tough pursuit but it led to success! You're absolutely right in terms of not giving up. In this situation, that was most certainly the case and it paid off :)

- Kaiser14:I completely agree. However, the month that it took felt like a year during the time. Every day that passed felt like a life-time and during the process, I never knew if I'd be able to find it. Once I finally did, it was still a struggle to even get it back. You're right when you mention dealer's putting "coin" or other related words on their return addresses. Even when the package is in transit it's susceptible to theft. What's worse, is the seller didn't include signature confirmation, even though I paid for it. So, that was on the seller. However, he was actually really helpful during the process. Nonetheless, had that small feature been included, none of this probably would have ever happened.

Siah,

You should contact RWB and get some information to him and some better pics!! It would be a great story for the coin magazines --- he is a writer/publisher in case you didn't know! :)

As far as packaging and coin business labels --- I would say at the right place but the wrong time. I have not lost coins from business return addresses but I did lose a box of nickels -- 65 = $3.25 ungraded full steps sent to Mike Rakoski for a second opinion. They made it to Los Angeles, CA and then disappeared. No insurance or special labels. Just a plain box. Maybe the postal worker needed a cold drink. That was 4 months ago. I have given up all hopes of seeing them return. :grin:

The safest USPS shipping is Registered Mail. It is insured to your standards and every postal worker that handles the package has to sign the docket for the package till it gets to you where you also need to sign for it.

Just for some info.

Later--Rick

Six Mile Rick,

Thanks for the info on RWB, I'll definitely contact him. Thanks for the words of wisdom and advice!

As for the package that went missing for you... all I can say is ouch. That must have stung if they truly were all FS. In the case of my Peso, I paid for signature confirmation, it should have been included but the seller simply didn't purchase it like he was supposed to. You are right, registered mail is the safest, but I usually only use it on bigger purchases (when the option is available) just because it can get pricey. When I send in submissions to NGC, they always use registered mail as a means of return-delivery.

Either way, thanks again for all your kind words, Rick. Maybe those nickels will one day turn up... you never know! :)

Six mile is right on the button! Registered mail is a little more expensive and it takes a little longer but if you have a coin or anything that you don't want stolen in the mail just send it registered!

Bud

You are right, registered mail is the safest, but I usually only use it on bigger purchases (when the option is available) just because it can get pricey.

Once the value of the item get past about $800 to $1000, Registered is actually cheaper than Priority insured.

Personally....

I would go after the Pawn Shop Owner. Most know me, and it's black and white. There is a huge liability issue here, and you are entitled to recover reasonable expenses, loss of use and legal fees with treble damages. Each liability starts at 10K per loss in the state of CO. You should have no problem finding a civil/criminal attorney that would take this one on contingency.

I would also reach out to the OAG for CO and open an investigation, as if he/she has done it once, most likely they do it often.

The owner knows this as well, which is why he fought you so hard.

All of that being said, I am very glad you reacquired you asset!

K.

- ArmyBud & Conder101: That's good to know, I will definitely look into that on higher valued purchases. Sadly, they don't come that often! :o

- TJ's Coins: I never really considered detective work... just a numismatic nut and hold a passion for astronomy/astrobiology/astrophysics. I'm not sure detective work would fit into the equation as cool as it sounds. In the situation of the coin, I was kind of forced into it and my persistence is what led me to the prize... that and a bit of luck :) thanks for the suggestion, though!

- Kamakazy: I was not aware of any of what you mentioned. I will definitely take that into consideration. I know a few things about the legal system but not nearly enough to be dangerous. I will definitely get in touch with the people you suggested. If you don't mind, I'll send you a PM if I have any further questions. Thanks, again!

Wow,

Great writing and story. What are you studying in college?

From an ~Old Professor (Univ of Cal, now LSU)

John

Very happy that you got your coin back. I've read through all of the replies and good info!

I have to wonder... you said NGC unknowingly helped. What could NGC "KNOWINGLY" do for you? (or the police)... could they return user info on any search of the NGC certification number through their verification tool? Or any addition to a competitive or non-competitive set? Possibly the coin shop owner would have done this. Also, I keep up a constant ebay vigil on a few areas and could have looked for any appearance of this coin. Just would have needed the cert # and picture possibly posted on the home page by NGC. By the way, you can set up a search in eBay for a certification number--make sure you use an advanced search and include titles and descriptions and select email notifications (yes, the seller has to enter the cert. number for this to work). I'm sure there must be a list of stolen coins with cert. numbers (and pics) somewhere... with no one easily obtaining this list.

Presumably PCGS Secure certified coins could be found if cracked out and resubmitted to PCGS (for a Secure holder). That would be a long shot, wouldn't it? Not sure if NGC has anything like 'secure' in the future.

And check the coin for markers--looks to me like the toning may have helped you ID your coin even if it had been cracked out. Seems to be a line from the S through the base of the volcano, but that may be on the holder. So I think the detective was wrong that only certification allowed identification of this coin.

A print probably wouldn't have helped find the crook even if the shop owner had bothered to follow the law on this point. Kinda surprised he(she) didn't fake a print between the time she(he) was approached and the time police would have shown up to investigate... something in a nondescript smear (or maybe Colorado has print standards for shop owners).

Maybe you should go to Vegas and try to pawn your coin at the World Famous Gold and Silver Pawn Shop... get your story on some quality History Channel TV! ;-) I always like the coin and currency episodes and they sometimes tell the story of the intricacies of pawn shops.

I wonder who had easy access to your mail? But I've rambled on too long. Time to look at some coins!