• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

1919 Merc DDO

31 posts in this topic

Too new for folks to decide what they are worth. That auction seems like crazy money to me. Maybe not if it were a gem 65 or 66.

Isn't that the one that Keyman64 made/discovered? Personally, I wouldn't pay that much for it. But that is just me.

I don't think he has found one yet.

Chris

Isn't that the one that Keyman64 made/discovered? Personally, I wouldn't pay that much for it. But that is just me.

I don't think he has found one yet.

Chris

You're right. I was thinking of this one. :)

1919 ddo

Not mine although I am actively searching! :) I don't have one yet.

There are currently two on eBay right now. The other is listed for $7,900.

Crazy prices, yes! Will they likely sell at these levels, no.

These serve as great advertising for the variety that was discovered just a few months back. It will help increase awareness and hopefully educate a broader audience.

I will be the Mercury Dime Series Expert for the Cherrypickers' Guide 6th Edition Vol 2. This newly discovered variety will be in the new edition. It also might make it into the Red Book next year. Once included in these future publications, demand will grow, more will be found and they will likely be added to the Registry Sets. We are all looking forward to seeing a true auction of one, possibly starting at $1, but if I were the owner of one I might even wait for the new publications to come out so that demand can increase.

The thread ATS details all confirmed examples with photos and lots of discussion.

Not mine although I am actively searching! :) I don't have one yet.

There are currently two on eBay right now. The other is listed for $7,900.

Crazy prices, yes! Will they likely sell at these levels, no.

These serve as great advertising for the variety that was discovered just a few months back. It will help increase awareness and hopefully educate a broader audience.

I will be the Mercury Dime Series Expert for the Cherrypickers' Guide 6th Edition Vol 2. This newly discovered variety will be in the new edition. It also might make it into the Red Book next year. Once included in these future publications, demand will grow, more will be found and they will likely be added to the Registry Sets. We are all looking forward to seeing a true auction of one, possibly starting at $1, but if I were the owner of one I might even wait for the new publications to come out so that demand can increase.

The thread ATS details all confirmed examples with photos and lots of discussion.

Well, Greg, I will say this. If I should happen to find one, I'll send it to you for the postage only. What do you think the USPS would charge from here to Mars and back?

Chris

I spotted this listing on CT this AM. Have any others been listed? Does anyone think it will come close to the $9,999.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/1919-P-Mercury-Dime-Doubled-Die-Obverse-FS-101-DDO-001-Amazing-new-discovery-/231625947123?&rmvSB=true

Chris

Maybe he meant $99.99 which seems like a far more realistic valuation.

Well, Greg, I will say this. If I should happen to find one, I'll send it to you for the postage only. What do you think the USPS would charge from here to Mars and back?

Chris

:applause: Thanks, that postage might be a little on the expensive side. :banana:

I spotted this listing on CT this AM. Have any others been listed? Does anyone think it will come close to the $9,999.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/1919-P-Mercury-Dime-Doubled-Die-Obverse-FS-101-DDO-001-Amazing-new-discovery-/231625947123?&rmvSB=true

Chris

No, that would not be correct. Four figures is easily obtained at this point.

Chris

He doesn't expect that to sell at 10k, but would it surprise you if I told you when mine was the only one (even when #2 was found) I was offered a trade equal to that value (Using PCGS price guide). Obscure varieties, that likely were cherrypicked around $100, and if I thought I could sell them at anywhere near that price, I probably would have done it, but personally I felt it was closer to a $1,000 offer once I could sell them, so said no.

Right now we are at:

1) ANACS VF-20 - Discovery piece (StrikeOutXXX / Jeff Sam)

2) NCS AU Details - Environmental Problems - Confirmation piece - Own inventory - John Hodson

3) PCGS VG-8 unattributed, then ANACS VG-8, back to PCGS VG-8 Attributed - Bulk over the counter B&M Purchase (KearneyCC / Bjorn Bergstrom)

4) ANACS EF-40 small show Portland, OR (Dealer folder unattributed) - (jtlee321/Justin)

5) NGC - Good - Owner Unknown

6) NGC - Good - Owner Unknown

7) NGC - Good - Owner Unknown

The #3 and #4 are the two on eBay right now.

Just for giggles, in the thread ATS, we were playing what do you think these are worth, or where should Whitman put prices if they did it that way, and my own guess was about here:

G = $250

VG = $500

F = $750

VF = $1,000

XF = $2,500

AU = $5,000

MS = $7,000

63 = $15,000

65 = $50,000

67+ or FSB = 100k+

I could be close, or way off, who knows. Thing is, nobody will know until they start selling, and even the first handful will likely change by the time this hits major publications with a decent population, as well as if it hits the PCGS/NGC registries.

Chris

In that grade level? Seriously? For higher graded coins, I might see it. In any event do you really think the coin is worth closer to the $10,000 point than to the $100 mark? I am asking out of curiosity. I do respect your opinion in cherry picking varieties based on your experiences, but am very surprised nevertheless.

On another note, aren't people resistant to paying high prices on newer esoteric varieties as buy-it-nows? Wouldn't the coin either need to be a no reserve auction (to allow the market to decide) or there at least be some auction data to rely on?

He doesn't expect that to sell at 10k, but would it surprise you if I told you when mine was the only one (even when #2 was found) I was offered a trade equal to that value (Using PCGS price guide).

Yes, I am very surprised. I am also curious as to (1) whether the PCGS price guide value for the trade-in was accurate and (2) whether the fact that your coin is the discovery coin made any difference.

What someone should do is put one these in a well advertised, no reserve auction. Once an actual "real market value" is established then we could have a meaningful conversation about the subject of value.

I think this story is awesome, the discovery of what I consider a pretty amazing DDO early merc dime is what we all love about this hobby. But at the same time, this exact scenario is what I hear so many people complaining about.

I personally don't think this is a 10K coin, nor anywhere near it but nobody is going to know until one is actually sold auction style on the open market.

If nobody has done it before i find my first one, i will commit to selling that one 1 dollar start, with no reserve at GreatCollections.

What someone should do is put one these in a well advertised, no reserve auction. Once an actual "real market value" is established then we could have a meaningful conversation about the subject of value.

I think this story is awesome, the discovery of what I consider a pretty amazing DDO early merc dime is what we all love about this hobby. But at the same time, this exact scenario is what I hear so many people complaining about.

I personally don't think this is a 10K coin, nor anywhere near it but nobody is going to know until one is actually sold auction style on the open market.

If nobody has done it before i find my first one, i will commit to selling that one 1 dollar start, with no reserve at GreatCollections.

Here's the big flaw in all of this...

We kinda know what the demand might be now...lots of people want one but no one is really willing to step up and pay a BIG AMOUNT...so, I think the XF would reach $1K easily but anything north of that would be a big risk and a lot of speculation.

So, what should the owner of one really do? They should WAIT until it is actually in the Cherrypickers' Guide that you can hold in your hand. That will raise awareness and interest. Then they should WAIT until it is added to the PCGS and NGC Complete Variety Mercury Dime Registry Sets....BOOM, instant increase in DEMAND now that all of those competitors absolutely have to have one! Then the owner might want to WAIT just a hair longer to see if it makes it into the regular Red Book to stand alongside the 1942/1, 1942/1-D and 1945-Micro S as the only varieties with their own stand alone listings in there...BOOM more awareness, more people looking, more people interested....and then WAIT just a tiny bit to see if PCGS and NGC recognize that listing and add the coin to the Mercury Dime with Major Varieties Registry Set.....BOOM! If they do that then you have even more demand from people competing for the top spot of those registry sets! That is when you sell it, starting at $1...and of course hope that a ton more have not been found by then.

There are two ways to look at this! As a person that DOES NOT own one, I would very much enjoy seeing an auction today that starts at $1. If I were a person that owned one right now, I don't think there would be any way that I would start an auction at $1 right now. I would WAIT for those above mentioned things to play out so that DEMAND can increase the number of potential bidders in my auction.

I agree. If I owned one I would wait until the next Redbook comes out.

If it is in there, and I strongly believe that it will be, it will not be priced, but just the fact that it is in there will greatly increase the demand for it.

I am the owner of the coin this thread was started about. Do I think it will sell for 10K? No, certainly not now. But, it is doing exactly what I intended, getting it out there. It's 30 days of advertising on the worlds largest auction site for a mere $1.50. I listed mine after the other had already been listed. I did not want to undercut the other and hence arrived at $9,999.00 plus Best Offer. The offers will help get a feel for what people may be willing to spend on it.

Think of it like this.. One of us posts the new discovery on here and we all go try to find one. How many of us are there that will start to actively look? 20 people across all the major forums? List it on eBay for 10K and another at 7.9K and the people who don't live in these forums will take notice. If a few hundred people see the asking price of 10k, they might start looking for one as well. People react to the potential price much more strongly than they do to someone posting a pic and saying "look at this cool coin". Show someone a really rare coin and what's the first thing they ask? That is the point of my eBay listing. Getting the attention this discovery deserves.

Also what happens if the Cherrypickers' Guide makes a statement in the book about recently asked prices on eBay in the value section as they have for some others? Not that this will happen, it's more hypothetical than a real question. It's all marketing.

I am the owner of the coin this thread was started about. Do I think it will sell for 10K? No, certainly not now. But, it is doing exactly what I intended, getting it out there. It's 30 days of advertising on the worlds largest auction site for a mere $1.50. I listed mine after the other had already been listed. I did not want to undercut the other and hence arrived at $9,999.00 plus Best Offer. The offers will help get a feel for what people may be willing to spend on it.

Think of it like this.. One of us posts the new discovery on here and we all go try to find one. How many of us are there that will start to actively look? 20 people across all the major forums? List it on eBay for 10K and another at 7.9K and the people who don't live in these forums will take notice. If a few hundred people see the asking price of 10k, they might start looking for one as well. People react to the potential price much more strongly than they do to someone posting a pic and saying "look at this cool coin". Show someone a really rare coin and what's the first thing they ask? That is the point of my eBay listing. Getting the attention this discovery deserves.

Also what happens if the Cherrypickers' Guide makes a statement in the book about recently asked prices on eBay in the value section as they have for some others? Not that this will happen, it's more hypothetical than a real question. It's all marketing.

It would be interesting to know how many "Best Offers" you might receive and for how much, but I imagine that would be asking too much while the listing is still active. Perhaps, you might reveal this information to us once the listing expires.

Chris

Here is an update for you all. I have just recently closed a deal on my example. It was the one I had listed on eBay. I sold for a little more than the price I had at the back of my mind. It was also the second example of this dime to trade hands on the open market. I sold it for $5250.00 to Leo Frese (who used to be the VP of Heritage) who is in turn selling it to another collector. I am very happy with the price and he agreed that it was well worth it.

Here is an update for you all. I have just recently closed a deal on my example. It was the one I had listed on eBay. I sold for a little more than the price I had at the back of my mind. It was also the second example of this dime to trade hands on the open market. I sold it for $5250.00 to Leo Frese (who used to be the VP of Heritage) who is in turn selling it to another collector. I am very happy with the price and he agreed that it was well worth it.

Thank you for providing this information for us.

Chris

Still holding at 8 known examples that i'm aware of:

1) ANACS VF-20 - Discovery piece (StrikeOutXXX / Jeff Sam) > Leo Frese

2) NCS AU-50 Details - Environmental Problems - Confirmation piece - Own inventory - John Hodson

3) PCGS VG-8 unattributed, then ANACS VG-8, back to PCGS VG-8 Attributed - Bulk over the counter B&M Purchase (KearneyCC / Bjorn Bergstrom) > Leo Frese > Rich Uhrich

4) ANACS EF-40 small show Portland, OR (Dealer folder unattributed) - (jtlee321/Justin) > Leo Frese

5) NGC - Good - Owner Unknown

6) NGC - Good - Owner Unknown

7) NGC - Good - Owner Unknown

8) XF - Shown to Rick Snow in Baltimore 7/15 - No further details yet.

3 of them have sold, ironically, all through Leo Frese. If someone asked me today to put initial values on these for some retail publication, I would tell them:

G = $3,000

VG = $4,000

F = $4,500

VF = $5,000

XF = $6,000

Have I found the ninth? Sorry I am not better with a camera, but doubling is evident on "UST" and to a lesser visibility on the "D".

sJtBD2t.jpg?1

http://i.imgur.com/HLqXCXH.jpg

http://i.imgur.com/LkGpH2r.jpg

First, welcome to the neighborhood!

Sorry, but it doesn't look like it to me.

Chris

Have I found the ninth? Sorry I am not better with a camera, but doubling is evident on "UST" and to a lesser visibility on the "D".

sJtBD2t.jpg?1

Chris

Welcome!

Chris, I strongly disagree. The coin imaged matches the DDO very well. It even has the die break behind the cap, just above the T of Liberty. Natchez, based on what I can see in the pics, it looks like one to me.

It would have to be verified by a professional, of course, but you've got a good shot.

Thank you both for the warm welcome! If nothing else, this coin at least helped me find this forum. And I will get lots of enjoyment reading.

I wish I could take better pics. I will fiddle a little with camera settings, but I have zero skills in that department.

The doubling is pretty apparent in hand, but I'm not familiar enough with the different types of doubling to be sure what I have.

I know it's amazing this went undetected for nearly a century!

sJtBD2t.jpg?1

Chris

Welcome!

Chris, I strongly disagree. The coin imaged matches the DDO very well. It even has the die break behind the cap, just above the T of Liberty. Natchez, based on what I can see in the pics, it looks like one to me.

It would have to be verified by a professional, of course, but you've got a good shot.

Oops! I shouldn't have been watching college football at the same time.

Sorry, Natchez!

Chris