• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Can anyone share FABULOUS TONED STEEL CENTS? Anything out there?

47 posts in this topic

I took these photos for someone a few years ago, but can't remember who. The file name lists it as MS67. Again I don't remember by which company.

I have my doubts if the toning is natural.

1943dLincolnMS67obv_06.jpg

1943dLincolnMS67rev_01.jpg

That is a pretty coin.

I do not believe that heat had anything to do with that toning.

If anything, it looks like what you see with a thin film of oil on water. So perhaps there is a thin coating of oil on the coin ?

I took these photos for someone a few years ago, but can't remember who. The file name lists it as MS67. Again I don't remember by which company.

I have my doubts if the toning is natural.

1943dLincolnMS67obv_06.jpg

1943dLincolnMS67rev_01.jpg

That is a pretty coin.

I do not believe that heat had anything to do with that toning.

If anything, it looks like what you see with a thin film of oil on water. So perhaps there is a thin coating of oil on the coin ?

Are you referring to a coating of oily substance possibly occurring during the minting process, or are you referring to an oily substance applied post mint?

CoinZip - those are cool, I wonder if a PVC film has helped a couple

I used to have some interesting toned 1943's - they had been copper plated years ago and toned with a dark brown base.

My guess is that external heat would cause bubbling on the surface because of how 1943's were made

I have kept quite about this because of all the unnecessary attacks on other members just because of an opinion. however, on looking at the examples shone I think that some type foreign material has been applied (either accidental or on purpose)to the coins either at the mint ( in the form of a lubricant of some type)or after they left the mint. I don't think heat was used. The reverse of one makes me think that some kind of liquid was applied to the surface and has caused the color changes.

all respect to those who have toned steel cents and same to the metals experts but I personally have never seen Zinc 'tone'- it corrodes when it oxidizes and usually turns powdery white. Every 1943 cent I've ever seen with 'toning' was chemically treated to create the color so be very careful. I would strongly recommend certification- the grading services can detect chemicals if I'm not mistaken...

Are you referring to a coating of oily substance possibly occurring during the minting process, or are you referring to an oily substance applied post mint?

I'm thinking there is a thin film of oil that got on the coin post-mint.

If a gentle washing of the coin with just ordinary soap and water removes the coloring, then you know it was a thin oil film.

I buy a old lot of steel cent on eBay, ( no coin dealer) this 1943  whit a couple others come a long in the lot, it was on a 2x2 coin holder and pressed with staples, the look of the holder, tell me that was on it since LONG TIME, that is what made me believe it is genuine tone 

I find this today 

IMG_4177.JPG

IMG_4178.JPG

40 minutes ago, srivano said:

I buy a old lot of steel cent on eBay, ( no coin dealer) this 1943  whit a couple others come a long in the lot, it was on a 2x2 coin holder and pressed with staples, the look of the holder, tell me that was on it since LONG TIME, that is what made me believe it is genuine tone 

Welcome to the forum.

Sorry, but the coin you posted looks circulated, cleaned and extremely unnatural. Additionally, the length of time it spent in a holder has no bearing on whether it was cleaned or whether the color is natural.

11 hours ago, srivano said:

what made me believe it is genuine tone 

Sorry to disappoint, but there is absolutely nothing natural or genuine about that toning. That is artificial - some sort of chemical was applied. 

If you like it, then good for you. Just understand that is definitely artificial toning. 

The only toning I have ever seen on a MS steel cent is a faint blueish cast.  The zinc tends to oxidize too rapidly for a thin film toning to occur.

Well, since I commented the first time about how hard a toned steel cent was to find, I can happily report that I now own this one.

PCGS MS67597e7faa030b9_1943-S1cMS67TrueView.thumb.jpg.ad0ab4221c31035757cc02c5589d7fb7.jpg

I have a D that has a copper red toning around the rim and some on the face and it has an overall thin copper color---a sheen would describe it----have put a magnet on it a least 10 times in the last couple of days.  The toning is very light but does override the steel color.  Guessing at the grade would be 63--64.  I probably found it about 40-50 years ago and it has been in a cent roll until a few weeks---days ago.   I am just starting to go through the "stuff "  now---last month.  Not much at photo business  but I will see what I can do with the Dino scope.  The open areas are steel gray but have a real fine grain to it----nothing like what has been posted----almost proof finish but not shiny?