• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Week # 51 - Happy Friday!

9 posts in this topic

• Administrator

What is the numismatic connection between the Monroe Doctrine Half Dollar and the Lincoln Memorial Cent?

First post that correctly answers wins The Complete Guide to Buffalo Nickels by David Lange.

Don't forget, we also draw for a runner-up prize from all remaining posts with a correct answer.

Good Luck!

REMINDER: The Numisma-Quest ends/ended on Saturday at midnight EST. Entries after that time will not be valid. See the Trivia Info post for more details.

When you post your answer, only the administrators can see it. Stop back each Monday. We will make all the posts visible and announce the winners.

Good question! I think I have a good guess! There might be two matte proofs out there. Acording to Breen John R. Sinnock might have one of them. He was Gasparro's boss. CHRIS

The question: What is the numismatic connection between the Monroe Doctrine Half Dollar and the Lincoln Memorial Cent?

The answer is Chester Beach, who sculpted the Monroe coin, also sculpted the seated figure of Lincoln reproduced on the cent.

Unfortunately no one answered correctly. Better luck next week.

Thank you for your participation!

Just for clarification Danielle, do you mean the seated figure of Lincoln in the Lincoln Memorial? Beach was the sculptor of the statue or the designer of the figure then sculpted by someone else? The figure on the reverse of the Memorial cent, afterall, was done by Gasparro. I'd like to know, as I spent some time trying to figure this one out and came up lemons! confused.gif

Hoot

• Member: Seasoned Veteran

D'oh!!!

BankNote1 caught my mistake.

In my haste to prepare questions before leaving for the Long Beach show, I confused Chester Beach with Daniel Chester French. I should have known better, as the answer is found within my own Lincoln Cent book. DCF sculpted the seated figure of Lincoln, while Henry Bacon was architect of the structure that houses it. Of course, French's statue is reproduced on Frank Gasparro's Lincoln Memorial Cent reverse.

To make up for this lapse, we'll be running another Numisma-Quest challenge this evening. Be sure to check it out.