• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

My Quest To Be Best Overall posted by The Argentum Collector

12 posts in this topic

• Member: Seasoned Veteran

Numismatics has really become a passion for me in the last 4 years and I found that with so many coins available you have to focus on one type of coin. For me it is silver, silver coinage from all over the globe!

Last year it was an honor and very exciting for me to win the NGC Registry Award for Most Informative Custom Set for my set THE GLOBAL SILVER COIN COLLECTION. After receiving the recognition in the registry, the badge for my set and the plaque in the mail I told myself I wanted more out of this set. I decided to start a quest to make the set worthy of Best Overall Custom Set!

Since December of last year I have gone on the hunt and some what of a purchasing spree adding 124 high quality silver coins from 15 new countries to the set for a grand total of 356 coins from 72 countries. While only a fraction of my coins (266/356 or 75%) fit in any competitive sets there are 10 #1 competitive sets within my custom set totaling 84,915 registry points giving me a ranking of #1,303. Many of my coins are rare and the only NGC graded example, if I were able to receive some registry points for the 25% of my coins that do not fit in any competitive set I think I would rank in at least the top few hundred collectors overall.

Aside from content, quality and value I also decided to make the presentation of my set as appealing as possible and I recently designed a new header graphic that contains images of actual coins within the set. I have also ensured to add as much information as possible to include complete descriptions (weight, fineness, size, mintage, obverse and reverse details) and photos to every coin.

Not sure what else I can add or edit to help improve the set and it's worthiness of best overall but I am open to any suggestions and/or constructive criticism. Thanks in advance for any input!

Happy collecting.

http://coins.www.collectors-society.com/wcm/CoinCustomSetView.aspx?s=14077

16674.jpg

See more journals by The Argentum Collector

I was looking at your set just the other day. Terrific presentation and an award well deserved.

Good luck at the next awards banquet. (thumbs u

An amazing collection of silver from around the world. Great pictures and description and the overall presentation of this set is impressive. I have said it before that I love looking at this set. Good luck

"Most Informative Custom Set" This is good stuff. Sound information, presented in an engaging manner is more important that the numbers and points on a slab.

If you want to get registry points from the coins that currently do not fit in a registry set, you need to request that new sets be created. Your requests can be broad or specific, but I would start with requesting sets that would include more than one of your current custom-only coins. You could request 10-20 different new sets. After a few have been created, you can add a few more to your request list.

Hello. I don't have anything constructive to add toward your quest. I'll just say that this is an amazing collection of gorgeous coins. This is not a set that was just slapped together. It gives the appearance of being very methodical and thought out.

How long would you guess that you have been working to get this collection to where it is?

Marcus

Since you asked for suggestions, I hope my comments will not be taken as too critical. I don't see that your collection involved much of a challenge to build. Modern silver coinage in high grades is easy to find and buy.

NGC is in the business of promoting the slabbing collecting of modern coins and while I salute your recognition, I can also see that this is exactly where NGC wishes many collectors would spend their money.

I suggest that you create a separate set of your early modern coins and focus your attention there. It will be more challenging!

~jack

Thanks for the advice but I have to disagree whole heartedly. While American silver is minted in great and excessive quantities, foreign silver coins are not.

Take for example the American Silver Eagle, in 2014 there were over 44,000,000 minted. Compare that figure to the 429,000 Mexican Libertads, 500,000 Australian Kookaburras, 500,000 Armenia Noah's Arks and 1,000,000 Great Britain Britannias mintage figures from the same year and you get an idea of the relative rarity compared to American coinage. These are just the more common coins too, many of the coins included in the set have mintages below 10,000 and many are the only known NGC graded examples!

The set is a work in progress. I want it to be all inclusive and eventually contain an example of EVERY silver coin ever minted (ancient-modern). It is in my opinion a great accomplishment to have acquired silver from 72 nations (it's taken me 4 years), I know there is no other collection in the registry that has such a vast variety and quantity of fine silver.

Beautiful collection. I personally wouldn't invest in this area because I don't think the coins are rare at all and likely never will be. Just because a coin has a low mintage doesn't make it a rare coin, especially when most of the mint figures will likely remain static (no melting for spot). How many PF70's are sitting in closets and safes waiting to be slabbed? You can have a low mintage and see the PF70 population explode on moderns at any given time because the minting process is so much better than it used to be resulting in consistent quality strikes.

I always say collect what makes you happy.

Cheers!