• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Home, Home On The Range ....

22 posts in this topic

Actually it is supposed to be:

Home, Home ATS

Where the illiterate dealers do play

Where seldom is heard,

A discouraging word,

About Laura or Legend all day.

Took less than a couple of hours yesterday for the gestapo to suppress any disparaging, although accurate, remarks about a member of their cabal.

I guess I am really getting "burnt out" on this hobby when something like this bothers me. I used to not care and let others be considered the "Chat Room Weenies".

:sick:

Shot_01_Smaller.jpg

Shot_02_Smaller.jpg

Making fun of someone on the forums is just being mean and rude. No one should have to put up with that. Don created a tough set of rules to try to stop the problem. Those same rules got me kicked off the site for a while but I earned it. I said some that I should not have.

I have a good friend that can hardly read or write. I never knew this till we went to lunch one day and he ask me to read a letter to him. That didn't stop him. He is worth several billion today. He still can't spell but no one makes fun of him.

Making fun of someone on the forums is just being mean and rude. No one should have to put up with that. Don created a tough set of rules to try to stop the problem. Those same rules got me kicked off the site for a while but I earned it. I said some that I should not have.

I have a good friend that can hardly read or write. I never knew this till we went to lunch one day and he ask me to read a letter to him. That didn't stop him. He is worth several billion today. He still can't spell but no one makes fun of him.

Several billion, eh? There are only 348 people in all of the USA worth $2B or more. That's cool that you know one of them...or else he's worth "several million," not several billion? (shrug)

Took less than a couple of hours yesterday for the gestapo to suppress any disparaging, although accurate, remarks about a member of their cabal.

I guess I am really getting "burnt out" on this hobby when something like this bothers me. I used to not care and let others be considered the "Chat Room Weenies".

:sick:

Bill, this is pretty much par for the course ATS. Think of the PCGS boards as you would think of the Russian or North Korean media / television services. All must be scrubbed clean... ;)

Where seldom is heard,

A discouraging word,

About Laura or Legend all day.

They dog her and Legend with a decent amount of frequency over there ATS. I cannot count the number of snide remarks I have read through the years. As much as I dislike Don, he would be correct to delete the listing as it serves no purpose other than harass her and Legend.

Several billion, eh? There are only 348 people in all of the USA worth $2B or more.

I've thought about this before and have speculated for a long time that the list of U.S. and world billionaires is incomplete. There seems to be some important family names that Forbes, for example, doesn't have on their list, including Carnegie, Mellon, Astor, Vanderbilt, and Morgan to name a few.

Forbes List: http://www.forbes.com/billionaires/list/

It could be that the money has been married out of these families. Or that their money has been divided up so much through inheritance. But something tells me that the direct descendants of these folks aren't hurting too much for cash.

Also, the Forbes list doesn't include anyone involved in any illegal activity. In 2013, CNBC reports that, "the annual global drugs trade is worth around $435 billion a year"

Source: http://www.cnbc.com/id/100957882

With so much money, I have to think that there are some drug cartel leaders who have in excess of a billion dollars. And that's just drugs. Human trafficking, counterfeit products, and illegal gambling are also multi-billion dollar industries.

Point is, I believe that the list is incomplete and we'll never really have an exact figure on how many billionaires there really are. But, again, I can only speculate.

Making fun of someone on the forums is just being mean and rude. No one should have to put up with that.

Fair enough. However if one were actually objective they would clearly see that the behaviour that you condemn is routinely practiced by the subject of the deleted thread, albeit in a ciphered and non direct manner with a sprinkle of arrogance and condescension as a bonus topping.

Is it even remotely possible that she brings the storm herself through her actions?

Don created a tough set of rules to try to stop the problem.

Yes I noticed, and I believe he is completely out of touch with reality. Allow me to rephrase that. I believe he is partially out of touch with reality.

Why? I noticed, as many others that read the established rules, that the first and last items referenced are secured with the same flawed theory on his part. He states that "This is not a public forum. This is a PCGS forum paid for by PCGS and provided for PCGS customers to exchange information regarding collecting US coins. " yet he must be confused. Without any customers, collectors, and the very forum participants he routinely bans, there would be no revenue and there would be no reason for the forum in the first place. PCGS does not pay for that forum. Revenue from customers pay for that forum.

I have known various individuals in a similar situation and they too were successful beyond belief. I made a point to analyze and possibly learn from their success. One thing all of them had in common was HUMILITY. Something L.S. just simply does not possess or have the ability to convey.

A politician runs for a public office and then complains when they are critiqued. Hollywood film stars strive their whole life to become successful and idolized by many yet once they reach that level they get furious over all the attention.

Yes, Legend is a private company operating in a public space but that does not eliminate the requirement for good PR and a 'front (wo)man' that has a good disposition, does not attack others through rambling blog entries, and is it really too much to ask for a principal representative of the company to possibly take a night course in grammar?

I am not formally educated (and it probably shows) however I spent my post scholastic years trying to make up for what I lacked in reading, writing, and basic grammatical comprehension. Maybe one day the laughter will cause her to pick up a book and better her literary skills. It is more often than not that an outside catalyst will be the force to prod one to better themselves.

I still continually to try to expand my mind; does she?

?Que?

Most of the comments are deleted promptly, although some survive. To illustrate the animus towards her, there are people that compared her to a dyslexic orangutan and made fun of her weight. It isn't accurate to say that she is rarely criticized. She is criticized ATS more than I suspect the OP may realize.

?Que?

Most of the comments are deleted promptly, although some survive. To illustrate the animus towards her, there are people that compared her to a dyslexic orangutan and made fun of her weight. It isn't accurate to say that she is rarely criticized. She is criticized ATS more than I suspect the OP may realize.

In the defense of those posters, she was the one who first referred to fellow dealers as monkeys in one of her many inappropriate and unprofessional "hot topics" posts.

You reap what you sew, and she has sure sewn a lot of vitriol and hatred over the past few years. Just my personal opinion.

Making fun of someone on the forums is just being mean and rude. No one should have to put up with that.

Fair enough. However if one were actually objective they would clearly see that the behaviour that you condemn is routinely practiced by the subject of the deleted thread, albeit in a ciphered and non direct manner with a sprinkle of arrogance and condescension as a bonus topping.

Is it even remotely possible that she brings the storm herself through her actions?

Don created a tough set of rules to try to stop the problem.

Yes I noticed, and I believe he is completely out of touch with reality. Allow me to rephrase that. I believe he is partially out of touch with reality.

Why? I noticed, as many others that read the established rules, that the first and last items referenced are secured with the same flawed theory on his part. He states that "This is not a public forum. This is a PCGS forum paid for by PCGS and provided for PCGS customers to exchange information regarding collecting US coins. " yet he must be confused. Without any customers, collectors, and the very forum participants he routinely bans, there would be no revenue and there would be no reason for the forum in the first place. PCGS does not pay for that forum. Revenue from customers pay for that forum.

I have known various individuals in a similar situation and they too were successful beyond belief. I made a point to analyze and possibly learn from their success. One thing all of them had in common was HUMILITY. Something L.S. just simply does not possess or have the ability to convey.

A politician runs for a public office and then complains when they are critiqued. Hollywood film stars strive their whole life to become successful and idolized by many yet once they reach that level they get furious over all the attention.

Yes, Legend is a private company operating in a public space but that does not eliminate the requirement for good PR and a 'front (wo)man' that has a good disposition, does not attack others through rambling blog entries, and is it really too much to ask for a principal representative of the company to possibly take a night course in grammar?

I am not formally educated (and it probably shows) however I spent my post scholastic years trying to make up for what I lacked in reading, writing, and basic grammatical comprehension. Maybe one day the laughter will cause her to pick up a book and better her literary skills. It is more often than not that an outside catalyst will be the force to prod one to better themselves.

I still continually to try to expand my mind; does she?

Bill, why do you care so much? I understand why Brandon does it. Why stoop to that level? Is it so boring over here that reporting and creating threads from or about other forums is news?

mark

In the defense of those posters, she was the one who first referred to fellow dealers as monkeys in one of her many inappropriate and unprofessional "hot topics" posts.

You reap what you sew, and she has sure sewn a lot of vitriol and hatred over the past few years. Just my personal opinion.

She did not refer to the dealers as monkeys; she said that a blindfolded monkey could be competitive in a grading competition with them. There is an enormous difference between those statements and your paraphrase. Her statement was obvious hyperbole. And while I don't agree with it, it hardly seems like the personal attacks that have been made against her. And after they compared her to a dyslexic orangutan and made fun of her weight, she did refer to those poster as monkeys. By your logic, it was par for the course.

I genuinely think Ms. Sperber cares. Sometimes she comes off the wrong way and phrases things differently than I would, but I do believe that she wants to help collectors and maintain integrity in the industry. I see her genuinely wanting to make a difference and I do not think her posts are motivated by money or a power ploy as some have contended in the past.

Bill, why do you care so much? I understand why Brandon does it. Why stoop to that level? Is it so boring over here that reporting and creating threads from or about other forums is news?

mark

You are correct Mark. I should not care. Your criticism has helped me see ways to improve myself. For that I thank you.

She did not refer to the dealers as monkeys; she said that a blindfolded monkey could be competitive in a grading competition with them. There is an enormous difference between those statements and your paraphrase. Her statement was obvious hyperbole. And while I don't agree with it, it hardly seems like the personal attacks that have been made against her. And after they compared her to a dyslexic orangutan and made fun of her weight, she did refer to those poster as monkeys. By your logic, it was par for the course.

I genuinely think Ms. Sperber cares. Sometimes she comes off the wrong way and phrases things differently than I would, but I do believe that she wants to help collectors and maintain integrity in the industry. I see her genuinely wanting to make a difference and I do not think her posts are motivated by money or a power ploy as some have contended in the past.

Actually Kenny, you're wrong. She said nothing about a blindfolded monkey. She said she could probably grade better blindfolded. To quote her post exactly:

Laura Sperper said "Yes, I am absolutely saying I am completely superior in grading to ALL of these people [dealers]. A blind monkey is too. I'll bet using a blindfold I can grade a raw coin as good [sic] as they can (or even better)!

That to me is a pretty clear comparison of fellow dealers to monkeys. She even admitted to comparing monkeys to these dealers in one of her other recent rants.

Her posts speak for themselves Kenny. I truly believe she does it mostly for attention, and may very well be a very nice person deep down inside. But, her business "front" is not professional. Belittling your peers is not a way to raise yourself up. And, that's exactly what she does. My job and the job of many people on the forums is not that of a dealer or the face of a company, so our criticisms can seem hypocritical. But, many of us know what we are good at, and specifically didn't go into careers with a customer service slant. She chose her profession, and according to her has been at it full time since 1978. I believe she's 55 or 56 now, so that means she started when she was 18 or 19. Sadly, her interactions and way of communication seem to have never matured beyond that age.

The long and short of it is that she knows full well what she is doing, and she should know better. But I guess it's working for her. She's sort of the "Sarah Palin" of coin dealers -- she gets a lot of attention, and even if most of it is negative, it's still attention. She is undeniably an entertaining character -- as we say in Minnesota -- "She is interesting" and that's not a compliment.

Actually her post has interestingly gone through several revisions although it has not been marked as edited. It appears that much of it was modified after the thread about it ATS. When written initially, she phrased certain sentences differently and made more typographical errors than the current version. After someone made the dyslexic orangutan comment, many of her posts were edited.

In any event you said that she "first referred to fellow dealers as monkeys" in one of her posts. That is not accurate. Referring to someone as a monkey is different than saying that a blind monkey could do a better job at grading than some of the dealers. Maybe it is a semantic issue here and I am being nitpicky again. ;) In any event, I think what you said and perhaps what you meant are two different things.

Edited: The more recent post you cited was after someone called her a dyslexic orangutan. As you noted before and by your logic, it is blow for blow.

Actually her post has interestingly gone through several revisions although it has not been marked as edited. It appears that much of it was modified after the thread about it ATS. When written initially, she phrased certain sentences differently and made more typographical errors than the current version. After someone made the dyslexic orangutan comment, many of her posts were edited.

In any event you said that she "first referred to fellow dealers as monkeys" in one of her posts. That is not accurate. Referring to someone as a monkey is different than saying that a blind monkey could do a better job at grading than some of the dealers. Maybe it is a semantic issue here and I am being nitpicky again. ;) In any event, I think what you said and perhaps what you meant are two different things.

Edited: The more recent post you cited was after someone called her a dyslexic orangutan. As you noted before and by your logic, it is blow for blow.

Sigh...

Maybe Law school was the right choice for you afterall Kenny. ;) You sure sound like a lawyer...

mark

You are correct Mark. I should not care. Your criticism has helped me see ways to improve myself. For that I thank you.

Bill, you are a stand up guy.

Mark

In any event you said that she "first referred to fellow dealers as monkeys" in one of her posts. That is not accurate. Referring to someone as a monkey is different than saying that a blind monkey could do a better job at grading than some of the dealers.

That's true she isn't referring to them AS monkeys, she is saying they are WORSE than monkeys.

Hardly an improvement.

I like monkeys. Even though they cannot grade coins, they would recognize the importance of this topic right off and immediately return to something more productive, like picking fleas off their .

I like monkeys. Even though they cannot grade coins, they would recognize the importance of this topic right off and immediately return to something more productive, like picking fleas off their .

:roflmao:

If it was "12 Monkeys," it would make a good film and an awful TV show....

The exaggeration seems a little exaggerated but, then, this might also be an exaggeration or an overstatement as is common in coin worlds. Ever read an auction description for a beat up common date gold coin? :)