• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

How to value posted by #

8 posts in this topic

• Member: Seasoned Veteran

A coin with extremely low mintage...

...with 8-15 total surviving at both TPG's. Zero previous auction records from two major auction houses to help with the history of prices and an idea of supply and demand how does one value a coin?

I purposely left some or most info vague as I'm looking at two coins in this category and I'm hoping for a more generic answer or advice than about a specific coin, nor do I need any more bidders. I only collect American, 19th century gold and silver. Several Auction venues offer estimates, price history and Heritage has its own index which is right more often than not. How did they reach a value?

My wife knows I'm not happy about these coins. Normally, when spending this kind of money; everyone's different; I would have one of two numismatist I trust preview it for me or hope for a CAC sticker for guidence but no to both on these. I have the worlds greatest wife, this is what she had to say. Also, can you guess what she has hated for 30+ years? Wife: just look at it as something you like or love; not in a dollar amount or type of financial vehicle. Just like every upgrade to that GD boat.

I don't mind breaking even after enjoying something but I'd hate to loose 80%+.

See more journals by #

I'll try to help you. I've read and am reading a lot of Dave Bowers books. In one of them he gives a few examples that relate to your post. He delves back into older auctions, whatever auctions has a record of a sale for the coin(s) you're looking at. If they're a 19th century coin, you need to farther afield than just Heritage. I doubt if ebay would be much help, because if the coins are that pricey, I quite frankly don't think they would sell on ebay, as most everyone on ebay any more want to get the coin for 10 cents on the dollar.

In Bower's examples, he used any older auction he could find (for instance, Chapman Brothers, I think another was New Netherlands coin co. (the company John Ford worked for). Then when he had all the auction records he could find, he based part of it from his experience as a dealer.

You might want to borrow the book I found this in, maybe from your local library or the ANA library. The title is "The Expert's Guide to Collecting & Investing In Rare Coins". I can't really point to one specific chapter that says all that I wrote. Bowers wrote the book and builds upon points he makes; sometimes through different chapters. I'll keep looking in the book for places where he does. I hope I've given you a general guideline though about your valuation questions.

I would DEF research ebay. I have found it is a pretty accurate barometer of what the market is doing and there are many high end coins for sale every day.

As a matter of fact, many dealers go this route instead of the auction houses because they can open dialogue and possibly sell the coin offline without paying a buyer or seller premium. It isn't right, but it happens daily.

I've found some beauties on ebay and I wish I could have purchased them for 10 cents on the dollar! LMAO!

Pay what you are comfortable with and move on to the next coin. I would not, however, put myself in a situation to lose 20% of the purchase price just for the sake of controlling the coin. That's just the way I collect. Everybody has their own comfort zone.

Have there been any auction sales of the same type of coin at a different grade level? If so, you might want to compare the price(s) realized to any published guide values for that grade. Then consider the results, while assessing the accuracy of the price guides for the coin at the grade you're interested in.

Another consideration is whether coins of similar populations and rarity (to the one you're interested in) have sold. And if so, at what levels.

If you are familiar enough with the rarity of the type, variety and grade and how it relates to others in the series, you should be able to arrive at a relatively good/informed value guesstimate, even in the absence of auction sales.

I recently was in a similar dilemma. I collect mostly world coins. There was a coin that I was interested in that all the pricing guides listed as "rare", no suggested value. I could find no auction history or even mention of this coin on any web sites. I ended up pulling the trigger an buying it because it "spoke" to me.

Today 6-4-15 every precious metal is dirt cheap with little to no (none) risk involved.

The US dollar is at top ish ....

And the world powers to be ARE otherwise are buying the HOLY you-know-what

out of the precious metals at an all time low According to the printed

money fiat around the entire world.

Either follow the LEMMINGS over the cliff and die (up here you are with me - and down here you stand little to no chance KNIGHT & DAY movie with Tom Cruise) or use common sense not to common to by what is undervalued.