• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Dream Collection

16 posts in this topic

If it was within your means, what would you collect and why?

For me, it would be St. Gaudens $20 gold pieces. My high school was named after Theodore Roosevelt and I have enjoyed reading about the relationship between President Roosevelt and Augustus St. Gaudens and how the two of them redeigned our coinage. In addition, how St. Gaudens indirectly affected our coinage through his students; Weinman (Walking Liberty, Mercury), Fraser (Buffalo Nickel) and others. I also love the design and the weight of the coin.

What about you?

Marcus

See more journals by Texan's Coins

My dream ever since childhood was to own examples of the coiled and flowing hair Stellas. Otherwise, a collection of pattern coins would be nice. I have more of a curiosity about the coins that could have been than the coins that are. The artistic beauty of many of our patterns is simply stunning. For whatever reason, the "Wash Lady" pattern is one of my favorites. I guess it's just the way Liberty's hair is done on that pattern that captivates me (although by her facial features you might think she is having a bad hair day :roflmao: ).

Realistically, I will probably never own any of the aforementioned coins, but maybe, just maybe, I may eventually own a nice example of a "Capped Bust" or "Turban Head" gold coin.

Gary

Washlady25cPC65obv_zps7gpjmd2t.jpg

Just exactly what I already collect--bust halves by die marriages. I might amass some of the rare DMs that are currently beyond my means, though.

If I had my dream collection, I would pretty much build a complete set of U.S. coins using the finest known examples of each coin. So it would pretty much be most of Pogue + many of the Eliasberg, Bass, Garrett, etc., pieces. I would also tack on a mirror PL/DPL collection (as much as I could assemble) and a CAM/DCAM collection of pre 1965 coins, and would buy up many of the specimen strikes and branch minted proofs from the 1800s. In fact, I would try to buy all of them.

When I was a very young man in the early 1990s; I used to enjoy reading 'Coin World' at my local B & M and at the library on Saturday mornings. I remember reading about Bruce Fox and Golden West Numismatics, as his Walker offerings were always listed and he had plenty of early dates in higher grades.

I also read about a complete NGC/PCGS graded Walker set of all gem MS 65 or better coins that sold for 250K, which was an all-time record back then.

I always wished to own a complete set in near gem and/or gem and especially the early dates, so I am pretty much living and building my dream right now.

If I wanted to REALLY dream BIG---having the set that Gerald Forsythe owns would be fantastic!!

But, I am extremely thankful for what I have and very satisfied with it.

If money were no object I'd put together something like an Indian Head Cent set in MS with the higher population coins being Ms 66 or Ms 67. I'd want something that can actually be completed in my lifetime.

Then after my demise, there will be instructions that the set be displayed for like 10 years before being blown up in an auction.

I have never owned a Charlotte mint nor Dahlonega mint gold coin. I finally got a nice CC mint rarity, but those two elude me. I have been looking all over the south.

OH< by the way, I know I can buy one from a dealer. My quest is to 'run across' one in my hunting style. Just driving around the South.

Just got back from doing Mississippi, East Texas, La. and Ala, with no luck.

I did get a nice set of the 2013 mint set, those reverse proof and SP70, and one Roman Numeral modern, but no C or D's followed me home.

Wimper, pout.

Not givin' up though

Happy hunting to you all.

Capt. Brian

for me it is to track down as many issues in a series full of rare and exciting issues. U.S. Liberty half eagles are the only series to have been produced at all 8 U.S. mints, including the most famous and exotic- Dahlonega, Charlotte and Carson City. Whats more, it also has the most issues with less than one hundred know to exist. And there are more sleepers in just the Liberty half eagle series than other entire denomination runs. And to top it off, even though there are a few that most of us would never be able to afford, about 98% of them are within the price range of the middle class.

So, for me, it would be to complete a set of Liberty half eagles. Im working on it presently, wish me luck. And good luck back at ya for your dream set!