• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Most popular coin or series

27 posts in this topic

Which coin or series do any of you consider to be the most popular? By popular, not necessarily with the most collectors because this is actually the result of economic constraints and availability.

A coin or series may be common and still popular, but just because it has a large collector base doesn't mean it is actually preferred. The FDR dime in a recent thread is an example. I consider it either the least or among the least popular series in US coinage, but it has a larger collector base than most others, just mostly at nominal prices.

Another consideration is the geographic distribution of the collector base. Due to the price level, I don't believe there is hardly any US collecting elsewhere above relatively nominal prices, except maybe by US expatriates. I believe some US coins would be more widely collected and maybe by a substantial margin if they were a lot cheaper, but they aren't.

Popularity may also be segmented by the price.

Above $100,000, I believe it is the 1839 UK Una & the Lion 5 sovereign. It is common for a coin at this price but the price demonstrates its popularity because it is apparently preferred over much scarcer and much cheaper coins. I'm dubious there are any actual global coins (collected mostly everywhere above a nominal price anyway). This one is bought at least in Europe and the Anglo countries but probably not in the Islamic world.

At a lower price point, another candidate is the Jewish Revolt (66-70 AD or CE) sheckel. I believe this coin to be quite common but it still typically sells for a respectable price between $1500 and $2000. I also believe (but do not actually know) that it has a widely distributed collector base.

For a series at moderate price points, the Spanish colonial cobs or various ancient Greek or Roman coins.

From US coins, I believe it is probably the 1995-W proof ASE. Though I presume there are some duplicates between the NGC and PCGS census, with a combined count of 434 in a "70" the last time I checked and a market value between $18,000 and $30,000, there is a strong preference for this coin.

Silver eagles - not silly "graded" junk - just the real thing.

Lincoln cents and Jefferson nickels

Morgan dollars

Washington quarters

WL halves

Seated coins

Unseated coins

Double eagles - no bogeys or pars

Popularity may also be segmented by the price.

Above $100,000, I believe it is the 1839 UK Una & the Lion 5 sovereign. It is common for a coin at this price but the price demonstrates its popularity because it is apparently preferred over much scarcer and much cheaper coins. I'm dubious there are any actual global coins (collected mostly everywhere above a nominal price anyway). This one is bought at least in Europe and the Anglo countries but probably not in the Islamic world.

At a lower price point, another candidate is the Jewish Revolt (66-70 AD or CE) sheckel. I believe this coin to be quite common but it still typically sells for a respectable price between $1500 and $2000. I also believe (but do not actually know) that it has a widely distributed collector base.

For a series at moderate price points, the Spanish colonial cobs or various ancient Greek or Roman coins.

From US coins, I believe it is probably the 1995-W proof ASE. Though I presume there are some duplicates between the NGC and PCGS census, with a combined count of 434 in a "70" the last time I checked and a market value between $18,000 and $30,000, there is a strong preference for this coin.

Think our friends south of the border needs a mention here.

Caballito Peso - Not a huge collector base, however very dedicated base willing to pay decent premiums for the nicer coins.

Libertad Proof (Gold &Sliver) Again very dedicated small collector base willing to pay premiums for key dates.....1998 PF S1ONZA $2,500 - $3,500. Not a bad premium....Nothing like the ASE granted but solid by its own right.

Morgans are far-and-away the most popular US coins.

Walking Libs are high on the list, as are Double Eagles (Lib and St. Gaudens.)

In the classic series, the early Large Cents and Capped Bust Halves are probably the winners.

When comes to coins where serious collectors are willing pay serious money, the Morgan Dollar leads the pack.

For US coins, the data certainly backs the Morgan dollar. However, I am still of the opinion that as a series, it is substantially and maybe primarily that it's an extremely common coin. The key and semi key dates which bring the most money, I agree there is an actual preference because the buyers can buy most others with the same money.

On the series RWB mentioned, I don't believe either the Jefferson nickel or Washington quarter have anywhere near the actual preference implied by the likely collector base. I rank the Jefferson nickel possibly third last in the entire US series, just ahead of small dollars (collectively) and the FDR dime. The Washington quarter might be slightly preferred to the odd denomination classics (2c, 3CN, 3CS or 20C) though I'm not sure about it but not much more.

Series like the WLH and Lincoln cent, I believe they are actually preferred to most others but not as many as implied by the collector base either.

I agree the 20th century key dates (1909-S VDB, 1916-D dime, 1916 SLQ, 1921 P-D-S WLH) are likely the most preferred at their price level, but not the rest of the series.

In the classic series, the early Large Cents and Capped Bust Halves are probably the winners.

I agree and would add Lincoln wheat cents. Many grew up picking better dates out of change.

Think our friends south of the border needs a mention here.

Caballito Peso - Not a huge collector base, however very dedicated base willing to pay decent premiums for the nicer coins.

Libertad Proof (Gold &Sliver) Again very dedicated small collector base willing to pay premiums for key dates.....1998 PF S1ONZA $2,500 - $3,500. Not a bad premium....Nothing like the ASE granted but solid by its own right.

I believe the most preferred Mexican series to be:

1. Cob 8R by a substantial margin

2. Pillar dollar

3. Cap & Ray 8R

For a single coin, one or more of the Caballito Peso dates is certainly a candidate, but I'm not sure if this isn't also a reflection of their availability.

I agree and would add Lincoln wheat cents. Many grew up picking better dates out of change.

My original post was long, so I believe some of you missed what I was getting at.

I make a clear distinction between "popular" measured by the number of collectors and "preferred", though I agree most collectors don't make this distinction and it isn't always clear; maybe it isn't most of the time.

A good argument exists for the Morgan dollar because its the series with the most money in it, or least relative to the bullion value.

Given the prices of so many Lincoln cents and its availability, its apparent it is certainly one of the most popular, but a majority of its apparent popularity is almost certainly the result of financial constraints, not an actual preference. I believe early large cents are actually preferred (and maybe substantially) and clearly consider it one of the top series.

The capped Bust half, also very popular but I believe its apparent ranking is also due to the fact it is the most common pre-1838 series. For example, I don't believe it is actually preferred to any of the earlier halves except for a small number of coins such as the 1817/4 and 1838-O.

I think the world over and also growing by leaps and bounds in the usa for world coins

I think it is the pillar dollars 8R and also the pillar 1/2 1 2 4 reales

are extremely popular and growing

I think silver and gold cobs ( in other words pre pillars) are extremely popular and growing

for usa coins I think morgans are popular along with liberty double eagles and type sets of later date gold libs and indian gold quarter and half eagles and eagles and double eagles and I think with lower gold prices pre 33 gold in popular right now

the modern silver American eagles both biz strike and proof are popular

federal large cents are popular especially so anything from the 1790's

colonials are growing popularity as there are all different price points from the smaller to larger pocketbook and the beginning collector to the advanced numismatist

VAMS are popular because of cherry picking

better dated and cc mintmark liberty seated coinage trade dollars morgans are popular

anything dated 1793 1794 in usa federal coinage popular+

Given the prices of so many Lincoln cents and its availability, its apparent it is certainly one of the most popular, but a majority of its apparent popularity is almost certainly the result of financial constraints, not an actual preference.

I am not sure I agree. There are people that collect superb gem RD examples for thousands of dollars, and certainly, one wouldn't expect this with a depressed budget. Moreover, even if some of the original interest was a result of financial constraints, it doesn't follow that continued interest into adulthood is an issue of finances. Many of the dates including the overhyped 1909 s VDB are known even by non-colletors, and I think the intrigue in the keys may also spark interest. Finally, matte proof Lincoln cents have a decent following, even among those that don't collect the normal mint state issues. I find them fascinating at least, and am familiar with a good number that like them as well for reasons unrelated to money.

I think the world over and also growing by leaps and bounds in the usa for world coins

I think silver and gold cobs ( in other words pre pillars) are extremely popular and growing

for usa coins I think morgans are popular along with liberty double eagles and type sets of later date gold libs and indian gold quarter and half eagles and eagles and double eagles and I think with lower gold prices pre 33 gold in popular right now

colonials are growing popularity as there are all different price points from the smaller to larger pocketbook and the beginning collector to the advanced numismatist

better dated and cc mintmark liberty seated coinage trade dollars morgans are popular

Pillar minors are candidates to be among the most preferred, but their perceived popularity is severely limited by the available supply, especially in any decent grades. There will never be a large collector base because the supply does not exist. If the preference really increases, it can only be reflected in the price.

To correct my prior post, gold cobs are preferred over cob 8R.

I agree US pre-1933 gold is among the most preferred, though I think the later series perception is also somewhat distorted by their availability. The exception I would make is for "key" dates such as the 1911-D QE, 1929 half eagle and 1907 HR Saint. Given how common these coins actually are, it is apparent they are actually preferred over most coins from the prices.

Agree with early federal coinage. No doubt about it.

Colonials are among my favorite US coins but I see them as far less popular and preferred versus federal issues considering their numismatic merits and availability. General statement of course given the variety of both.

Given the prices of so many Lincoln cents and its availability, its apparent it is certainly one of the most popular, but a majority of its apparent popularity is almost certainly the result of financial constraints, not an actual preference.

I am not sure I agree. There are people that collect superb gem RD examples for thousands of dollars, and certainly, one wouldn't expect this with a depressed budget. Moreover, even if some of the original interest was a result of financial constraints, it doesn't follow that continued interest into adulthood is an issue of finances. Many of the dates including the overhyped 1909 s VDB are known even by non-colletors, and I think the intrigue in the keys may also spark interest. Finally, matte proof Lincoln cents have a decent following, even among those that don't collect the normal mint state issues. I find them fascinating at least, and am familiar with a good number that like them as well for reasons unrelated to money.

What you state is true, but it's apparent at least to me that you are still talking about a rather limited subset of these collectors, even though this subset is still (much) larger than for most other series.

There are no absolutes and yes, this is more of an academic exercise. I recently took a look at the Heritage archives which for US collecting anyway I believe is reflective of how US collectors spend their money for all price points except the lowest.

For all US coins, Heritage records about 40,000 sales > $10,000. For the Lincoln cent, it is currently 726. This is higher than most other series but is actually in the "middle of the pack" with many others. Its about the same as SLQ, Seated quarters, WLH and somewhat more than Buffalo nickels. It is less than early dollar and seated halves.

At $1K to $10K, Heritage records about 390,000 sales. Lincoln cents have 11,490 which is slighly more than WLH and somewhat more than Buffalo nickels. It is a lot less than Morgan dollars but a lot more than all other non-gold.

Some of these numbers are presumably the result of what is available to buy but I don't know how much of it. This is partly where our opinions probably differ.

For example, at both price points, Lincoln cents have more sales than large cents. It's "moot" but I believe that if more better quality (not necessarily "high grade") large cents existed, (a lot) more collectors would probably want to buy them.

So in this sense, those who buy Lincolns at these two price points apparently (obviously?) prefer them over large cents or else they would buy them instead.

In the aggregate though, since Lincoln cents represent a very small minority of high priced sales and not more than many others, apparenlty it isn't actually preferred by "large budget" collectors versus many other series.

I would think Buffalo Nickels would be high on the list of popularity, but perhaps the data above suggest that isn't true. I agree with others that state Morgan Dollars are the most popular by a long shot. Like many others, I started off collecting Lincoln cents then moved on to Jefferson Nickels, and when I could afford a few dollars per coin, Roosevelt dimes. When my budget allowed $5-$30 purchases, I started Buffalo nickels. I have now finished all of the above sets and other than type and toned coins, I primarily collect Morgan Dollars. I think the design is very pretty, the coins are available (so I can be picky), they come beautifully toned and/or with deep mirror surfaces. There are many interesting varieties and there are no stoppers in the series. If money were no object, I would still collect Morgans, although at a higher grade level. I would also collect proof gold double eagles. Ultra Cameo gold is absolutely gorgeous. However, those coins are not even on my radar, so it's hard for me to call it a preferred series.

Buffalo nickels are among the most popular (as measured by others) and preferred using the definition I am using here.

But your experience is exactly the point I am trying to make. Preferred is actually a function of what people can afford but also what is available because no one can buy what does not exist.

As I mentioned in my reply to Coinman, this is more of an academic exercise but it interests me because I find the behaviour of collectors a lot more interesting than most coins. I like coins (of course) but its the collector and how they collect which make the hobby the most interesting to me.

The basic premise I am using is "follow the money". So yes, I agree the Morgan dollar is the most "popular" in the sense that there is a larger pool of collectors buying it at high prices.

However, the other point I was trying to make is that this is somewhat distorted by availability. The Heritage archives list over 3,000 Morgan dollar sales @$10,000+ and slightly over 1,000 for early dollars. While the Morgan has more, the relative supply is nowhere near 3:1 however you want to measure it. This makes it apparent (to me anyway) that a lot more collectors actually prefer early vs. Morgan dollars than the ratio in the number of collectors who collect the series. In other words, a supply constraint limits those who would buy early dollars but they aren't available in the quality they would like to buy.

I don't know how many Morgan dollar collectors (or others) would actually buy early dollars (or another coin or series) if the supply was somewhat larger, but I think it is apparent with many coins, that proportionately at least, many more would instead of what they are buying now. I believe this applies to most early federal coinage and many others which are viewed by most collectors as being the most desired.

In my opening post, I stated that the 1839 UK 5 Sovereign seems to be the #1 coin using my criteria. The reason for this is that I am not aware of any other which has as many survivors (probably 350 or so out of the original 400) where most (maybe all) are worth over $100K which is as also as widely collected, A few US coins (such as the Pan Pac $50 and territorial gold $50) are probably closest in the number of survivors at this price level, but I am dubious any foreigners buy them.

I tried to read through this massively long-winded thread, but I can't quite separate the wheat from the chaff.

The OP's definition of "popular" seems to be a bit odd. You can't logically disentangle the idea of popular from the inherent cost of a particular series. The popular series are the ones that a sufficiently large number of persons can afford to collect and have a sufficiently compelling history or design to draw in collectors.

I almost interpret the OP's definition of "popular" to mean what are the most popular designs of coins -- as a design can be popular but still out of the reach of people financially. For example, the Una and Lion (as mentioned by the OP) or the UHR $20 St. Gaudens. Those designs are strikingly beautiful and "popular" in that sense, but they are not collected by all that many people because of the prices and availability.

So, here I sit a bit confused by the true intent of this thread ... hm hm hm

I tried to read through this massively long-winded thread, but I can't quite separate the wheat from the chaff.

The OP's definition of "popular" seems to be a bit odd. You can't logically disentangle the idea of popular from the inherent cost of a particular series. The popular series are the ones that a sufficiently large number of persons can afford to collect and have a sufficiently compelling history or design to draw in collectors.

I almost interpret the OP's definition of "popular" to mean what are the most popular designs of coins -- as a design can be popular but still out of the reach of people financially. For example, the Una and Lion (as mentioned by the OP) or the UHR $20 St. Gaudens. Those designs are strikingly beautiful and "popular" in that sense, but they are not collected by all that many people because of the prices and availability.

So, here I sit a bit confused by the true intent of this thread ... hm hm hm

I don't believe my concept is confusing at all, though others may not find it interesting.

I am specifically making a distinction between popular and preferred. I don't believe that "popularity" is actually what everyone or most everyone else claims it to be.

In my OP, I mentioned the FDR dime. I don't believe it is really that popular and I consider it one of the least popular US series, regardless that a large number collect it. I place it probably second last in the entire US series.

The idea that it is more popular than say, early federal coinage because more collectors collect the series turns logic on its head. I don't see how anyone can possibly believe that because it is obvious that the lopsided proportion of "big budget" buyers spend their money on early federal coinage instead. The latter coins do not exist in sufficient quantity for most or all FDR dime series collectors to buy it, even if they had the money.

I believe the FDR dime's "popularity" is almost entirely a function of the huge US collector base, not that collectors really like it more than most other coins because probably 99% of the tens or maybe hundreds of thousands who collect the series have less than $500 in it. Others may call it popular. I call it collectors who disproportionately cannot afford much or anything else.

I rate the true measure of popularity to be what collectors can buy given the money to do so with a subjective adjustment for the existing supply. This is an actual preference or what most call "popular".

I don't usually buy coins worth more than $500. I spend most of my coin money on Pillars when I can find them. From this, anyone can conclude that these are the coins I actually prefer given my budget. Others preferences differ but I think you get the idea.

So in summary, I agree with most of what you said, I think.

So, why not just state it as "if money were no object, which coins would you collect"? That seems to be what you're getting at. Again, it seems you're trying to ask which designs are popular -- regardless of if one can actually afford to own an example or not. (shrug)

By definition "popular" means that a lot of people collect it. Regardless if that reason is because it is within reach or not, it's still the definition of popular. My confusion was that you seem to want to redefine the word to mean something else.

I always appreciate your insight, but sometimes reading your threads is like trying to read the fine print of a mortgage or other legal document.

Yes, I write long posts and sometimes lose my audience. Not intentional but I always try to explain myself.

To simplify it, maybe it makes sense if thought of in terms of different price points.

The 1839 5 Sovereign I believe is the most popular coin globally above $100k.

The HR Saint (not 1995-W proof ASE as I stated earlier) is the most popular US coins at or above its price point which I believe is $20k. However, I don;t believe it is collected much outside the US.

Same concept applies to different price points.

I think if you did a survey of favorite designs, the Saint Gaudens, WLH, SLQ, and Buffalo Nickel will be at the top of that list. I think fewer people collect the SLQ series than many others because the 1916 is so expensive.

FWIW, my second most expensive coin (measured by purchase price) is a Roosevelt Dime. It is stunningly beautiful and one of the finest known. The most expensive coin I have is an 1893-S Morgan that grades VF25. :)

Those are among my favorite designs as well.

My comments on the FDR dime, I am not knocking it. I am only stating a conclusion from what the data indicates. There are definitely individual coins such as the "No S" proof dimes and (I believe) 1982 "No P" business strike that are a lot more popular. Its evident from a combination of the market value and census counts.

No offense taken :) I agree with you that the design isn't as beautiful as many others and there aren't a lot of people that seriously collect them (although I have had some nice conversations with a few that are crazy about them!)

As for the single most popular coin, my vote would be the 1909-S VDB. The Saint Gaudens High Relief is probably in the running among serious collectors.

Constantine ruble, Gangut ruble, bird-of-paradise gold, elephant gold, Austrian wedding thalers, etc., etc.

Pillar minors are candidates to be among the most preferred, but their perceived popularity is severely limited by the available supply, especially in any decent grades. There will never be a large collector base because the supply does not exist. If the preference really increases, it can only be reflected in the price.

To correct my prior post, gold cobs are preferred over cob 8R.

I agree US pre-1933 gold is among the most preferred, though I think the later series perception is also somewhat distorted by their availability. The exception I would make is for "key" dates such as the 1911-D QE, 1929 half eagle and 1907 HR Saint. Given how common these coins actually are, it is apparent they are actually preferred over most coins from the prices.

Agree with early federal coinage. No doubt about it.

Colonials are among my favorite US coins but I see them as far less popular and preferred versus federal issues considering their numismatic merits and availability. General statement of course given the variety of both.

100% in agreement and really well put!

overall I think the top winner for the most popular collected coins in the western hemisphere are

Spanish colonial pillar coins of all denominations along with the gold and silver cobs!!

No offense taken :) I agree with you that the design isn't as beautiful as many others and there aren't a lot of people that seriously collect them (although I have had some nice conversations with a few that are crazy about them!)

As for the single most popular coin, my vote would be the 1909-S VDB. The Saint Gaudens High Relief is probably in the running among serious collectors.

I should have titled this thread differently because I agree with Brandon that my use of the term "popular" is not the one used by most and can see how I was not using it correctly.

The reason I should have used the term preferred is because I don't believe popular is really meaningful in measuring how much collectors actually like a coin, especially relative to others which is really what I am trying to get at.

Using popular as in the number of collectors, by default the series with the largest number are going to be at the top of the list. The FDR dime is definitely one of them. Concurrently, its obvious that most collectors don't really like it relative to other coins because of the price level which demonstrates that they disproportionately spend their money elsewhere if they can afford it.

For it's price level, I think the 09-S VDB is "in the running". It's probably most popular (and preferred) even among all "key" dates. I still consider the 1995-W proof ASE its prime competitor for the "title" though I presume buyers of one mostly don't collect the other..

For "big budget" buyers, I also think the HR Saint is first.

overall I think the top winner for the most popular collected coins in the western hemisphere are

Spanish colonial pillar coins of all denominations along with the gold and silver cobs!!

I was hoping to get a little more commentary on world coins but its understandable.

Outside of US coinage, I agree that cobs and pillars are the most popular and preferred Americas coinage. I'm not sure there are any real global coins, but along with Ancients (Greece, Rome and Judaica) and maybe British Sovereigns, these two are the closest that I know.

Though I far prefer the pillars, I believe the cobs have a substantial lead. The silver minors are much scarcer but given how common the 8R is generically (especially from Bolivia), the prices are quite strong for such a visually unappealing issue. Even among non-collectors, it is widely known and its my understanding that many are owned by them.

These two series are examples with substantial pent up demand (especailly future demand) if the supply of better quality specimens existed to accomodate it. Unfortunately, it does not.

Many of the gold milled coinage appears to be available in larger numbers than its silver counterparts. If the pillar design had been used instead of the Phillip V, Ferdinand VI and Charles III portraits, I'd buy as many of these as I could afford too.