• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

1879-S Morgan - Opinion please

23 posts in this topic

This 1879-S Morgan Dollar came out of a roll I purchased in the mid-70s.

I'm thinking about submitting a batch of dollars to NGC for grading and wondering if the experts here think it is a candidate for the batch.

154964.jpg.876bd1c63cf44108b8e6b8816b60b716.jpg

154965.jpg.b7dc3448e5bcd090d972b190e0e1b23e.jpg

154966.jpg.41b8b07692b8ea2e0d4afec8a3fb14e0.jpg

154967.jpg.50bb5e796d0a67b5db523bc0a9ad6efb.jpg

154968.jpg.9deb6383a2bdabd594d73c8442e467aa.jpg

Too bad that isn't a reverse of 78 ... Sure seems to have a nice strike. If the obverse, as Mark had mentioned were showing a bit more luster and not muted by the toning I think it might fair well.

Unless the luster is much more dramatic than your photo shows I think Mark nailed it. MS 64

Mark & Bill, thanks for your comments. I haven't had it out of the bank in a while but I seem to remember it having a lot more underlying luster on the obverse than apparent from my photos.

I'll have to give it a better look next trip.

These are found nice quite often. If it has nice "pop" it might get MS 65 making it worth just over $120. If not you'll be buried in it a bit.

I agree with the others. The coin will probably grade MS-64. These coins need to have a lot "pop" (luster) to get an MS-65.

Like most on the board I saw 65 if luster is there, but the pictures seemed like the coin may be dull looking in that case 64

JMO, but the obverse is dull and lacking luster. This is a very available date n mm, all the way to 68, I personally wouldn't bother with submitting, again JMO.

Thanks for all the opinions folks. As I stated in my original post it came in a roll I purchased in the mid-70s. I paid $107.00 for the roll and this was one of the nicer coins (all 1979-Ss). So..... if I decide to submit a bunch of Morgan dollars and this one looks as nice in hand as I remember it may just go along for the ride. If so I'll make sure I come back here with the results.

I submitted a bunch of coins at the January FUN show including this 79-S as part of a Economy US submission. I figured for $20 it was worth a shot. They shipped today so I don't have it in hand yet but here is the cert # 4209194-009. I'm glad I added it to the pile.

Looking forward to seeing your results!

65 with a possible stretch to 66 if the obverse were as attractive as the reverse.

As-is, you should expect to get a 64.

Good for you on submitting it anyways, even after the many opinions stating that you shouldn't. I think the only way to truly learn this game is to play it. you've got to get your feet wet somehow no matter what it is.

Congrats, looks like some really nice coins.

Nice coins.

Thank you'

Good for you on submitting it anyways, even after the many opinions stating that you shouldn't. I think the only way to truly learn this game is to play it. you've got to get your feet wet somehow no matter what it is.

Congrats, looks like some really nice coins.

That's what I was thinking. I added these coins to my collection over 40 years ago and I had my thoughts on what the grades would be but never having submitted any uncirculated coins in the past I figured it was time to see exactly how good or bad my grading skills were. I thought both might come back as 64s and the 66 was a pleasant surprise.

I dropped them off at FUN in Tampa as part of three large submissions saving shipping one way and figure the grading fee and return shipping cost me $20.00 per coin. Add that to the $5.35 each, ($107.00 for a roll), I paid for them in 1975 I figured I came out OK. Most of the coins in the roll were nearly as nice but these were the only two I had left after all those years.

Thanks for your complement.

It's definitely worth submitting coins that have a chance at being worth $65 plus if they are only worth $30 or so uncertified. If you get a dealer to submit them at around $17 each or considerably less in a 100 coin plus submission, you can make out OK.